Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

7 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I thought this article was a good summary of Cavallini's situation regarding the national team.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/2017/6/11/15777238/lucas-cavallini-penarol-striker-return-canada-men-national-team-soccer-octavio-zambrano

Apparently, Zambrano has even travelled to meet with him in person since taking charge in May. Whether it was this meeting, the above listed reasons, or a mixture of the two, it appears that, for this summer at least, Cavallini has committed his international future to the Canadian national program.

Apparently, because the picture is on this thread.

But really, how about this line from the article: "The fact that a Canadian international is having success in the league that has won the third-most Copa Libertadores and produced the likes of Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani, to name but two, should be cause for cautious optimism."

So Cavallini, from that scrub league, as so aptly portrayed, is cause for cautious optimism.

Larin, from amazing and clearly superior MLS, is cause for totally wild, unbraked, wide open throttle optimism. 

I am sure Lucas is thrilled he'll be able to fulfill his dream of coming off the bench to replace a drunk driver.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apparently, because the picture is on this thread.

But really, how about this line from the article: "The fact that a Canadian international is having success in the league that has won the third-most Copa Libertadores and produced the likes of Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani, to name but two, should be cause for cautious optimism."

So Cavallini, from that scrub league, as so aptly portrayed, is cause for cautious optimism.

Larin, from amazing and clearly superior MLS, is cause for totally wild, unbraked, wide open throttle optimism. 

I am sure Lucas is thrilled he'll be able to fulfill his dream of coming off the bench to replace a drunk driver.

You're a bit of a cunt aren't you?

1 hour ago, Ivanovski94 said:

You're a bit of a cunt aren't you?

Funny thing is, that totally slanted and rather uninformed Walking the Red article was written by a guy with a Spanish name, so we can't say it is an anti-Latino bias. 

But bias it is, an insulting bias, putting Cavallini in as the bench warmer for Larin when Cyle has done squat for the national team so far. I'm a huge cunt for saying so, thanks for pointing that out.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm a huge cunt for saying so, thanks for pointing that out.

In case you truly haven't figured it out yet, it's not what you say, but how you say it. As much as you may want to believe it, the reason you cause friction is not due to having unpopular opinions.

Edited by kohanz

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But bias it is, an insulting bias, putting Cavallini in as the bench warmer for Larin when Cyle has done squat for the national team so far

To play devil's advocate, which stat line would you say looks like a player that has done squat for the team?

20 games played, 5 goals

or

3 games played, 0 goals

On 6/25/2017 at 9:37 PM, dsqpr said:

Lost in the excitement of Alphonso Daviesbeing granted citizenship and committing to Canada’s men’s national team was the announcement of Lucas Cavallini returning to Octavio Zambrano’s set-up.

Not really lost.  Many folks are pretty excited that Cav is back.  Having said that, he has shown a fairly high level of indifference about that Nat team, so I am not oohing and ahhhing about it quite yet.  Happy he is back, and I sincerely hope he lights it up in the GC, but I am reserving too much hype until I see him compete hard for us on the field.

17 hours ago, kohanz said:

In case you truly haven't figured it out yet, it's not what you say, but how you say it. As much as you may want to believe it, the reason you cause friction is not due to having unpopular opinions.

I have made the same point in another thread/exchange.  Didn't seem to have much impact then, and I don't expect it will do much better now.

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

I didn't find the article slanted. It did imply that Cavellini is currently behind Larin in the pecking order but don't all of us think the same thing?

Edit: To say Larin "has done squat for the national team so far" is a slanted statement though. 

Yeah, it's slanted, and I would say start Larin in normal circumstances in fact. Only I don't think we should just assume that a guy in Uruguay, a league with a more outstanding pedigree than MLS by far, has to be automatically a bench warmer for a neophyte in Orlando. That was all I was trying to point out, some people actually understood. 

The difference between slants, though, is I'm not publishing, I am just posting, there's a difference. Which I even respect when I post on my blog, which has nothing to do with football. If you are signing articles then your inconsistencies and biases have to be pointed out. You are fair game.

As for how I say things, and I know that was not you saying this dsqpr, all I can say: if you have sensitive ears, better stay the fuck away from supporter's sections, and probably should not be anywhere near a supporters' board.

How I say things (with an underline), what a douche of a comment. If you can-t say things how you want better pack up and go home.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

it should be noted 2 of his 5 goals were BIG goals during wcq. yes one was off his ass but it still counts (that would likely not have gone in without him). the other was in a game where canada needed goals and he provided one.

if we're going say he's done fuck all because he can't score in central america, i'm calling bullshit cause there's clearly a hex on canada performing there

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, matty said:

it should be noted 2 of his 5 goals were BIG goals during wcq. yes one was off his ass but it still counts (that would likely not have gone in without him). the other was in a game where canada needed goals and he provided one.

if we're going say he's done fuck all because he can't score in central america, i'm calling bullshit cause there's clearly a hex on canada performing there

You know, I realize I overstated the case and in fact do believe we have to have faith in Larin. I am sure he'll come through, soon enough, I agree he would, in normal circumstances, still be our Gold Cup starter. Zambrano is smart enough to play to his strengths. 

All I really want to insist on is that there is no evidence, from club level and play, that Cavallini is an automatic drop off, that is a huge bias and just shows soccer stupidity. Penarol and Uruguay are better, historically, and habitually, than anything in MLS. 

Nor do I accept that Jackson-Hamel would have to be automatically way behind him, considering his play recently and the few minutes he's had. Ricketts is a different story, because technically he is inferior to all three IMO, but I don't undervalue his way of stepping up and doing a great job for TFC.

What would be great, just once, for the pure pleasure of it, would be to see two hard hitting big-ass strikers up there kicking the rival backs to pieces. 

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As for how I say things, and I know that was not you saying this dsqpr, all I can say: if you have sensitive ears, better stay the fuck away from supporter's sections, and probably should not be anywhere near a supporters' board.

How I say things (with an underline), what a douche of a comment. If you can-t say things how you want better pack up and go home.

edit: nevermind, there is no point in me engaging here...

Edited by kohanz

Did you read the article UT? Where in the article does it slander the Uruguayan league??  The author mentions the success of the league in the Copa Libretadores and mentions current big stars to come from said Division.  He doesnt mention "scrub league" or brag up the MLS, you bring those things up.  You admit yourself Larin would usually be your first choice, and I think most would agree.  The author also thinking Cavallini would come of the bench or being a 2nd striker doesnt seem like some kind of slam against him or because he plays in Uruguay or the author being uniformed.  It would probably the opinion of most people (Larin as #1 option) and not just us stupid ignorant uninformed canadian fans.

I think you are confusing some old argument on this board about relative strengths of leagues from a few years ago and projecting that into what I thought was a fairly positive article about Cavallini returning for the Gold cup.  And in the spirit of promoting goodwill to other V's I wont mention anything about anyone being a douche, ignorant prick, or sanctimonious fuckin wind bag. Although since we are on a supporters board (as you put it) I guess we all should all be prepared for asshole comments.    

''Regardless, with Tosaint Ricketts recovering from injury, Simeon Jackson nearing the end of his career, Marcus Haber never really making an impression with the national team and Anthony Jackson-Hamel still relatively young and unproven, Cavallini could help Canada solve its goalscoring problem as soon as the upcoming Gold Cup.''

Why is something so weak even allowed to be in an article...Jackson nearing the end of his career..he just turned 30. JH still relatively young and unproven..he's just a few months younger than Cavallini, has scored in mls and national team...

Just now, Big_M said:

''Regardless, with Tosaint Ricketts recovering from injury, Simeon Jackson nearing the end of his career, Marcus Haber never really making an impression with the national team and Anthony Jackson-Hamel still relatively young and unproven, Cavallini could help Canada solve its goalscoring problem as soon as the upcoming Gold Cup.''

Why is something so weak even allowed to be in an article...Jackson nearing the end of his career..he just turned 30. JH still relatively young and unproven..he's just a few months younger than Cavallini, has scored in mls and national team...

I thought the same thing. Very poor analysis, considering he is the same age as Ricketts. Perhaps the author was not aware of that? 

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Jackson's career is clearly on the downslide though. Both with club and country. That is not really the case for Ricketts. Perhaps Jackson will turn it around for an Indian summer but in the meantime I think that was fair comment.

As for unproven, well, that is based on what you have done. I agree with the author that at this point Cavellini is far more "proven" than AJH.

First of all, that is different than saying "his career is coming to a close". That is simply untrue. Perhaps that's what the author meant (that Jackson is on a career-downslide), but if so it was very poorly communicated.

Secondly, I don't even agree that Jackson's career is in decline. I would argue it has stabilized after a major drop (EPL > Bundesliga > Championship > League One) in a very short period (18 months?).

At his low point he was not scoring in League One, but since then he was picked up again by a Championship club, scoring 2 goals in 18 games (not great, but an improvement), before moving back down and having a strong season scoring 7 goals, which was more than double his rate during his last spell in League One.

So yeah, at a glance Jackson's career is in decline, but a closer look shows a slight uptick from a massive drop. I still think he has enough time to get back to the Championship and become a useful sub / occasional starter. 

Apart from the other errors and imprecisions mentioned in that article, which ignored the fact that Zambrano posted pics with him many weeks ago, effectively confirming the revival of Lucas, it simply argues erroneously about value that can be extrapolated from the Uruguay league and Penarol.

All I am saying is, bla bla, Uruguay, Suarez and Cavallini and others, on a top team, scoring: that is not cause for "cautious optimism". Not when all we have heard about Cyle from the same writers and on this board is over the top hype, hype and more hype. If you don't know that MLS has not produced even 10% of the talent as Uruguay in the 20 years of its consolidated existence, then you should plain shut up. 

I am as totally optimistic about Lucas as I am about Cyle, based on league, team quality, difficulty of play, career trajectory.  And if Lucas performs well at the Gold Cup, give him 3 games, I'd say Cyle will be the new target striker warming Canada's bench (ignoring that he won't make the roster) it'll take that long for the roles to change.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apart from the other errors and imprecisions mentioned in that article, which ignored the fact that Zambrano posted pics with him many weeks ago, effectively confirming the revival of Lucas, it simply argues erroneously about value that can be extrapolated from the Uruguay league and Penarol.

All I am saying is, bla bla, Uruguay, Suarez and Cavallini and others, on a top team, scoring: that is not cause for "cautious optimism". Not when all we have heard about Cyle from the same writers and on this board is over the top hype, hype and more hype. If you don't know that MLS has not produced even 10% of the talent as Uruguay in the 20 years of its consolidated existence, then you should plain shut up. 

I am as totally optimistic about Lucas as I am about Cyle, based on league, team quality, difficulty of play, career trajectory.  And if Lucas performs well at the Gold Cup, give him 3 games, I'd say Cyle will be the new target striker warming Canada's bench (ignoring that he won't make the roster) it'll take that long for the roles to change.

Stop making me hope Cavallini does terrible for Canada just to shut you up!

The CMNT gets so little written about it, then when someone writes something positive you argue we would all be better off without having it ever written.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You have a tendency to exaggerate in order to drive home your ideas. That makes you a target and detracts from the point you are making, which is a shame because I think you make great points. It all gets lost in the hyperbole, sadly.

As for this particular issue, I do think that Cavallini has the quality to relegate Larin to the bench, if he takes his chance. You don't play and score for Penarol like he has without having quality. What he has done in Uruguay is just as impressive as what Larin has done in Orlando, perhaps even more so.

I am looking forward to giving Cavallini the starting role at Gold Cup. Does anyone actually think this will be a drop off? I think it will be a breath of fresh air and when Larin does return they'll be a battle especially if Cavallini starts scoring for us.

I would also love to see AJH continue his rich vein of form, further muddying the waters in the CF position.

Edited by Obinna

Re. Cavallini, I wont believe it until I see it.  He may even show up and score goals at the Gold Cup, but for all I know he may never answer a call again.    

Cavallini was not only called up for WCQ in Nov 2015 against Honduras, he was given the #9 shirt.  He was then quickly replaced by Haber due to a supposed injury, but then why was he not called up again by Floro?  Or was he?  So odd.

Hope he commits this time.       

I honestly don't know your(unnamed trialist) angle or bias, given my cunt comment was half serious and half playful. But it was my reaction to this quote "So Cavallini, from that scrub league, as so aptly portrayed, is cause for cautious optimism."
Though after not really reading all the past replies, I feel like we actually might have a more similar outlook to this Cavallini question than I first would have assumed
. In the end I accused you of cuntery because your quote was insulting to Uruguayan football and as a Canadian of Uruguayan parentage I get annoyed at the disrespect Uruguay gets fro here and from many other places. While Urugauyan football isnt the highest level, I highly doubt Larin would have the same amount of success in Uruguay as in MLS. Different playing styles, different mentalities, etc etc. Also Tenemos mas garra.

59 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

I honestly don't know your(unnamed trialist) angle or bias, given my cunt comment was half serious and half playful. But it was my reaction to this quote "So Cavallini, from that scrub league, as so aptly portrayed, is cause for cautious optimism."
Though after not really reading all the past replies, I feel like we actually might have a more similar outlook to this Cavallini question than I first would have assumed
. In the end I accused you of cuntery because your quote was insulting to Uruguayan football and as a Canadian of Uruguayan parentage I get annoyed at the disrespect Uruguay gets fro here and from many other places. While Urugauyan football isnt the highest level, I highly doubt Larin would have the same amount of success in Uruguay as in MLS. Different playing styles, different mentalities, etc etc. Also Tenemos mas garra.

Era una ironia total...soy quien mas defiendo la reputación de Uruguay entre los Voyageurs, no me gusto para nada las lecciones de este articulo, de que estos son buenos, pero no tanto como el MLS, me parecía ridiculo. Por reputación es mucho mas presitigioso jugar en Uruguay en Penarol (sin tildes!!) que para cualquier equipo de MLS. 

Mi comentario no insultaba al futbol de Uruguay, lo que quería hacer era burlarme de la actitud del autor (hispánico, por encima), explicando que realmente de Uruguay podría salir algo bueno. 

On 6/26/2017 at 5:28 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

What would be great, just once, for the pure pleasure of it, would be to see two hard hitting big-ass strikers up there kicking the rival backs to pieces. 

While I too think you should perhaps be a little less intense while fighting on this board (we are all on here supporting the same thing btw guys...), I do very much agree with this idea. We should be playing to our strengths here. We have the players to play a TFC style system and many of our players are used to this system anyways. The only concern I'd have is we are weak at the back. 

On Cavallini, my only concern is that this is a concacaf tourny and he seems to be a card producing machine in Uruguay. For a forward that is. 

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Por reputación es mucho mas presitigioso jugar en Uruguay en Penarol (sin tildes!!) que para cualquier equipo de MLS.

Es esto cierto ahora? No se. MLS y Liga MX crecen rapidamente. Quizas en España el equipos de Uruguay tienen mucho mas prestigioso historias pero *no longer feels comfortable about Spanish proficiency*, the profile of Uruguayan football is very much down in the non-Spanish speaking world. It's now a development league, players worth more than 2 million dollars aren't long for the league. If you look at Transfermarket, the worth of the talent in the Primera Division is down 40% since 2010, while it is up more than 100% in MLS since 2010. The MLS past the Primera Division in player worth in 2014 and is moving forward at the highest rate in world football outside of China.