Steven Vitória

Yohan

When it was announced that Vitoria had agreed to play for us I thought he was a top 4 CB in our program and after watching him today I still think he's a top 4 CB in our program.

He had a very solid game and if he only had 10 days with the team and he played this seamlessly then it's pretty evident that he's a major piece of our program.

10 minutes ago, gator said:

He did alright once he settled in, will add some depth to our CB's!

We have great depth at centre back. Henry, Straith, Lefevre, Vitoria, Ouimette, Edgar, Jakovic. I would be comfortable with all of them starting a game.

De Jong, Vitoria, Edgar, Henry

The height and physicality of this backline will stop a lot of set pieces and corner kicks although Henry did give away fouls in bad positions.

That's fine for our formation although I would like to see speedier wing-backs that can attack.

Henry had a few good runs moving forward.  Our counter attack needs polish.

Edited by DigzTFC

37 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

De Jong, Vitoria, Edgar, Henry

The height and physicality of this backline will stop a lot of set pieces and corner kicks although Henry did give away fouls in bad positions.

That's fine for our formation although I would like to see speedier wing-backs that can attack.

Henry had a few good runs moving forward.  Our counter attack needs polish.

Why would we play Henry out of position again. I would prefer to see Aird there if that is going to be his true position at the Whitecaps.

4 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Why would we play Henry out of position again. I would prefer to see Aird there if that is going to be his true position at the Whitecaps.

agree but Nik is a perfect fit for right back as well. Also there are others in the squad that could be at right back, I think that was a poor coaching decision to put Henry there. Clearly not fleet of foot enough. or smart enough to adjust his style. Teibert would be better at right back than Henry.

1 hour ago, DigzTFC said:

For me, when Vitoria headed that rocket shot from Nagbe he made up for all the emotional torment of not being in the program earlier.  You can't question someone's commitment on a play like that.  He got stuck in last night.  Forza Canada!

Heh, I don't think he knew too much about it.

2 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

For me, when Vitoria headed that rocket shot from Nagbe he made up for all the emotional torment of not being in the program earlier.  You can't question someone's commitment on a play like that.  He got stuck in last night.  Forza Canada!

I totally agree, that is the first thing I thought of aside from wondering why everyone is worried about football concussions and to a much lesser extent not being so concerned with soccer brain injuries  There's no way you can take something like that and not have your brains rattled.  I haven't watched a replay since but I don't think he headed it, his melon was a target. and Nagbe got a bullseye.  Ouch!  I was actually a little concerned for him, much lesser things have killed people.

Also bothers me to see Iain Hume in a wall.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

Sorry I just don't trust Henry on the right you can tell he is just not comfortable there, they have to find a better solution, however, I think a Vittoria Edgar CB pairing can work IMO. Sorry I'm just lazy to look it up right now but is Ouimette a right back?

Edited by 1996

On 2/6/2016 at 11:47 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I found that he was neither amazing nor terrible tonight. He seemed in the "pretty solid" category. Put another way, I'm not convinced he won a starting spot for Mexico in March but I'm convinced he won a spot in the 23 man squad and will be called again.

well, the goof waited until he was 29 to finally play for the country that birthed him.  He looked pretty good out there and certainly can be a help for at least this world cup cycle.  Happy to have him to add the depth; although I don't like how this all came about with him hanging onto this fantasy of a Portgual call up.....I might as well forgive it at this stage.

A backline that has a rotation of

adekugbe/dejong Vitoria/jako/Edgar/Henry Edgar/ledgerwood/aird

is pretty good in my book. Edgar would be the one who moves to right back of the three of himself Vitoria and Henry as Henry is an awful right back and David Edgar plays that position pretty well. As mentioned above, so lon as Vitoria is playing come March I would be down for a backline of SA/MDJ - Vitoria Henry - Edgar. I think it would be very solid and make it more difficult for the Mexicans to break us down

also- nandos is the best for chicken hands down, cheeky or otherwise

Edited by Brethers8
Chiming in on chicken

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Lefevre is 27 years old, can't see him developing much more

What I meant was he only started with the Impact in 2013 & only started in 28 games & played just 2607 minutes.Hopefully he becomes a regular  starter and see how he develops.

On 3 February, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Obinna said:

Marcel de Jong, Will Johnson, Ian Hume and many more of our players have literally done the exact same thing.

They aren't good enough to play for their countries (Holland, USA, Scotland, etc.), so they see themselves "moving up" playing for another country only to further their careers.

It is a two-way street and i'm sure i'm not the only one that gets tired of this rhetoric that Canada is always the victim and never the beneficiary. 

Players make the best decision for their careers. Is it unfortunate, of course, but the reality is that it is the biggest factor in their decision making. That doesn't mean Jonathan de Guzman doesn't make me sick (he does) and it doesn't mean I don't love Ian Hume (I do), but what I can't stand is people playing the victim card when it's not warranted.

For example, I'm sure most of you are thinking "we lose our best players and get the scrubs from other countries", but those scrubs from other countries make up the backbone of our team and many are loyal servants who are proud to wear the maple leaf, regardless of whether or not their choice was driven by upward career mobility. 

So if you want to picture a world where our best players actually play for us, it has to also be a world where nearly half of our players don't. The top end talent would be much better, but the depth will be substantially compromised. We'd likely be no further ahead.

Some of you have made it clear you are not into making this a "rational undertaking", but come on guys that is a bit of a cop out. This is a forum; a place where you come to have an online discussion and debate about a particular subject.

There needs to be minimum level of rational thought for it to remain valuable. 

I believe you misunderstood me.

What I'm saying is that players who play for us usually aren't good enough to play for other countries.  Players who choose another county are the ones who move up.  No one's moving up to play for Canada except maybe Evra.

13 hours ago, Brethers8 said:

A backline that has a rotation of

adekugbe/dejong Vitoria/jako/Edgar/Henry Edgar/ledgerwood/aird

is pretty good in my book. Edgar would be the one who moves to right back of the three of himself Vitoria and Henry as Henry is an awful right back and David Edgar plays that position pretty well. As mentioned above, so lon as Vitoria is playing come March I would be down for a backline of SA/MDJ - Vitoria Henry - Edgar. I think it would be very solid and make it more difficult for the Mexicans to break us down

also- nandos is the best for chicken hands down, cheeky or otherwise

Not sure many here in Canada get that one! :D

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória