Thread for Questioning CPL Attendance Numbers 2024

Here it is:  The thread for questioning the validity of CPL attendance numbers!

Do you think the CPL teams are fudging their attendance numbers?  Is there no way that many fans could possibly have fit in section 7?  Did it look like more on TV?  This is the thread for you!

Go to town - no theory is too wild or has insufficient evidence to support it!  In fact, have fun and make things up entirely if you wish!  Just keep it all here on this thread instead of elsewhere!

19 hours ago, Kingston said:

Here it is:  The thread for questioning the validity of CPL attendance numbers!

Do you think the CPL teams are fudging their attendance numbers?  Is there no way that many fans could possibly have fit in section 7?  Did it look like more on TV?  This is the thread for you!

Go to town - no theory is too wild or has insufficient evidence to support it!  In fact, have fun and make things up entirely if you wish!  Just keep it all here on this thread instead of elsewhere!

I am disappointed you did not reference the very unappreciated "Ticketmaster Blue Dot Theory" in your intro.

41 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the CPL inflates their attendance numbers. Does anyone else agree with me?

Unless there is a full building, basically every sports team in every sport in the world inflates their 'attendance' numbers. MLS and NHL teams do it all the time. I don't know why this is so controversial. It might get tedious debating it, but no one can seriously question that it happens. I still think the numbers are useful in terms of trends.

36 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Unless there is a full building, basically every sports team in every sport in the world inflates their 'attendance' numbers. MLS and NHL teams do it all the time. I don't know why this is so controversial. It might get tedious debating it, but no one can seriously question that it happens. I still think the numbers are useful in terms of trends.

Shhh... Im holding breadcrumbs and I've got a net ready to drop. It's a trap for @Ozzie_the_parrot

Has anyone read the Easton Report? It says a Canadian Premier League should be a bus league

11 hours ago, Cicero said:

Inflating isn't the correct term. North American pro leagues report attendance as tickets sold. Given all the major leagues (but not MLS) share ticket revenue via various systems, tickets sold is the key metric. 

For seeing the level of fan engagement, then people who actually went through the gates can be more useful. Though, this gets murky because a significant chunk of tickets sold (25-60%) in the major North American leagues are sold to corporations. 

What usually gets over looked is ticket pricing x attendance or match day revenues. In this regard, the Cavs are most impressive in the CPL as they likely have the highest average ticket prices with a steady rise in attendance over 5 years.

Edited by red card

9 hours ago, red card said:

For seeing the level of fan engagement, then people who actually went through the gates can be more useful. Though, this gets murky because a significant chunk of tickets sold (25-60%) in the major North American leagues are sold to corporations. 

I suspect this is less the case for the CPL.  Which is part of what makes games for the CPL (and other, less popular leagues) so much fun - everyone in the crowd is there because they want to be and are engaged, not because their company or supplier comped them a ticket.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I heard at least 300 of those in the crowd were inflatable dolls.

And most likely the others were paid actors so CSB is definitely going to jail for fraud

Ummm, I just watched the highlights and there didnt look like there were even 300 fans there.  They must have piped in the crowd noise or something.  I need to investigate this further.......

af0f3f10786ddfffb8431a45481a6c7a.jpg