Alessandro Biello

56 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I heard Biello is projected to be a beast in midfield...can someone verify?

Not an expert as I have only seen him here and there with our youth teams, but I have liked what I have seen.

I don't know if Beast is the word that comes to mind, but I will say he has a great combination of size, athleticism and technique, with a strong IQ and nice defensive instincts. He's very much a holding midfielder and doesn't shy away from the ball. He's the type where everything seems to go through him.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't know if Beast is the word that comes to mind, but I will say he has a great combination of size, athleticism

Wow, nice to hear that.  I haven't had a chance to see him, I was not expecting size and athleticism to be in the description.

Awesome. Needs to physically develop but his talent is clear. Montreal’s academy teams have been top tier in MLS Next and he’s their top prospect. His composure really stands out to me. Looks like a professional. I’m thinking his ceiling is between Saliba and Kone. 

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

Awesome. Needs to physically develop but his talent is clear. Montreal’s academy teams have been top tier in MLS Next and he’s their top prospect. His composure really stands out to me. Looks like a professional. I’m thinking his ceiling is between Saliba and Kone. 

Army of CMs…

Saliba, Kone, Zouhir (coaches were high on this guy 2 years ago) and now Biello and Schiavoni (apparently he’s good also)

Montreal will have to move a Wanyama, Zouhir or Piette I think. Although what depth we have, Biello will need a loan.

The plan is to keep him in Montreal this season, no? I wonder what his place is gonna be. Zouhir isn’t even playing despite Saliba being out, so no clue where Biello’s minutes would come from, unless he’s just gonna go back down to the U23s. 

I assume Wanyama’s days are numbered, but even if you get rid of him, your starting CMs are gonna be a mix of Choiniere, Piette and Saliba. Very good problem to have- between Saliba, Biello, and Zouhir, there’s a good chance at least one of them becomes a good player for Canada. You add in Kone, and I’m curious at what this generation of Montreal centre mids will look like in 5 years. 

10 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Army of CMs…

Saliba, Kone, Zouhir (coaches were high on this guy 2 years ago) and now Biello and Schiavoni (apparently he’s good also)

Montreal will have to move a Wanyama, Zouhir or Piette I think. Although what depth we have, Biello will need a loan.

What is CFM doing to produce so many midfielders?  Vancouver and TFC should be taking notes.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Olivier Renard is listed at 6'4".  Alessandro isn't too far off at 17, might have another inch to go?

image.png.1262d20ca8474919971bd925395a851f.png

Gotta say, I didn't expect that from Mauro's son.

Yeah, that is pretty surprising.  Didn’t get that impression at all watching the tough teams.  Good stuff though.  

For me, his best attribute is that the game seems to slow down when he has the ball, even when he's being pressured.  His head seems to be on a swivel and he knows what he's going to do before he receives a pass. Outstanding composure for a 17 year old. Also doesn't shy away from the rough stuff when he needs to put a foot in. 

Edited by Snowcrash

8 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

What is CFM doing to produce so many midfielders?  Vancouver and TFC should be taking notes.

If only we could produce defenders.

lots of talent in Quebec, the new club philosophy is highlighting that. I believe that in time a couple of teams could be contenders and really pump out some talent.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:29 AM, InglewoodJack said:

None of us can afford to play hockey anymore, so yesterday’s puck moving defencemen are today’s centre mids.

Know this was meant as a joke and I guess Piette and Choiniere actually might fit on that but it's maybe worth checking out the surnames you see on major junior hockey rosters some time relative to those you will see on CanPL or Canadian MLS Next Pro rosters. Players with Stephen Harper's "old stock" type surnames still seem to dominate in a hockey context but that demographic is definitely underrepresented in an elite level soccer one. Once you start talking about the CMNT even players like Alistair Johnston and Liam Millar have very strong recent ties to the UK.

Large scale post-WWII immigration has been what has primarily fueled soccer's growth rather than a sudden conversion away from hockey by people who neatly fit all the stereotypes of being the typical Canadian. This thread is about a guy from Montreal named Alessandro rather than Alexandre after all. From the sort of demographic that the Saputo family also come from that had Jacques Parizeau spewing his bile about "l'argent, puis des vote ethnique" back in the day.

Often think Canadian soccer ties itself in knots too much worrying what the people who are least likely to be interested think and do rather than focusing first and foremost on attracting the large numbers of people who already do know and love our sport. Soccer can be huge in Canada even if the sons of yesterday's puck moving defencemen are still playing hockey, if people like the son of our interim national coach are still playing the world's greatest sport regardless of what the hockey crowd decide to do.

If hockey fans first and foremost turn into soccer fans first and foremost great but that's a bit like having a supertanker change direction out at sea. Not going to happen quickly any time soon.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Soccer can be huge in Canada even if the sons of yesterday's puck moving defencemen are still playing hockey, if people like the son of our interim national coach are still playing the world's greatest sport regardless of what the hockey crowd decide to do.

It was tongue and cheek- I think sports is cultural and you follow the sports your parents did and so on, so the kids of hockey players will likely play hockey themselves, just like Alphonso Davies’ future son would probably play soccer if he were to become a professional athlete. 

That said, funny enough, former CANMNT player Rick Celebrini ended up having his biggest professional success as director of sports medicine for the Golden State Warriors, and his son Macklin is the consensus #1OA in this upcoming NHL draft. Would be funny to see a former NHLer’s kid make the CANMNT at some point down the line. 

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It was tongue and cheek- I think sports is cultural and you follow the sports your parents did and so on, so the kids of hockey players will likely play hockey themselves, just like Alphonso Davies’ future son would probably play soccer if he were to become a professional athlete. 

That said, funny enough, former CANMNT player Rick Celebrini ended up having his biggest professional success as director of sports medicine for the Golden State Warriors, and his son Macklin is the consensus #1OA in this upcoming NHL draft. Would be funny to see a former NHLer’s kid make the CANMNT at some point down the line. 

Wasn't one of the Sedin's sons also a pretty good soccer player?  I think we were already discussing/dreading that dual nat drama a while ago.