Match Thread: FIFA U-17 World Cup: Group B - Matchday 3 - Canada v Mali - November 16, 2023 - 4am ET / 1am PT (4pm local time)

narduch

Mali has been in a prolonged civil war and is one of the more politically unstable & unsafe countries in the world.  If we lose to this team (which wouldn't surprise me)  then it surely can't be due to the fact that they have better institutions,  development structures,  national associations, academies, NT coaches, youth team coaches etc...

Edited by Free kick

25 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Three and out would not surprise me, but, hey, the CSA needs a reason to give Olivier an extension so he can coach the next U - 17 team. "He gives us the consistency to keep the program on the path he has created for it," explained CSA management through an anonymous press release.

He has been nothing if not consistent. 

Anywhere else, that area of consistency gets you fired and replace a long time ago.

Not sure I want to watch (more) 90 minutes of us getting schooled.  For those who slogged through - any bright spots at all? 

I support the boys that played in this tournament but man it’s an indictment of the program and where we are at as a footy nation that we have never won a game here.   I know we are behind other countries but I thought we would have some signs of progress with the gradual professionalization of the game here.  It seems like this is the first sort of age group where we should theoretically be seeing gains - and those impacts should be achievable relatively quickly when the most talented kids are exposed to proper training regimes earlier and earlier.   Unfortunately that doesn’t to have materialized at all, and we don’t seem to be any further ahead when measured against our peers. 

A bit discouraging.  

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

If Olivieri survives this I’m at a loss for words.

Theres no way the talent on this team isn’t good enough to win a game here in this group. I don’t believe that. 

Olivieri is terrible and should not be the coach. No argument there.

Why do you think the players are talented enough to win a game? What have they ever shown to give you that idea?

Im tired of our youth players getting a pass while we rail against coaching and the CSA. The truth is, the players have never performed ever. We’ve never seen an individual step up and dominate. We’ve never seen players do special things at any given time.

We haven’t won’t at a youth World Cup cup at any level since 2003. In Concacaf qualifying tournaments our teams constantly look terrible and don’t look like they are capable of beating the regions top tier teams.

Could it be that on top of lack of camps (which we used to have lots of in the past which never helped us win at a World Cup) and bad national team coaching, our players aren’t as good as we think they are at the youth level? Clearly, they are tactically inept in every cycle. But can anyone point out to me objectively why they should be better than any other country we face?

I don’t see it and have never seen it.

Why does anyone think our players are better than Uzbekistan’s or Mali’s players? Is there an objective reason they can point to?

Edited by Soccerpro2

1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

What tactics do you attempt to instill in a player that can't control with their first touch nor make an accurate pass on a consistent basis?

That’s kind of what I’m also getting at. It’s a combination of everything missing for these players including a lack of basic skills that players in every opposition team seem to have.

5 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

That’s kind of what I’m also getting at. It’s a combination of everything missing for these players including a lack of basic skills that players in every opposition team seem to have.

Our top players can find success in spite of the system.  Imagine how much further ahead we would be if there weren't all these items hindering the overall growth of high level soccer.

I get we are improving in many areas, but it still leaves us way behind others.

2 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Our top players can find success in spite of the system.  Imagine how much further ahead we would be if there weren't all these items hindering the overall growth of high level soccer.

I get we are improving in many areas, but it still leaves us way behind others.

How many CMNT players are we producing?

How many have appeared on the scene since the World Cup?

The truth is, we currently aren’t really producing any in this country.