Friendly: Japan vs Canada - Friday, October 13th - 6:35am Eastern / 3:35am Pacific - Niigata, Japan

2 hours ago, Vasi said:

Borjan is starting per Biello. He will be capt. 

I would like to see LDF start. I don't care about the result. We can't let this kid slip between the cracks. That would be the pragmatic approach. 

This is right. 

Biello has no authority to start to break up the team and remove starters, he is only a provisional coach and there is no evidence he will be our man going forwards. So instead of creating a "scene" in a friendly one-off, which would be when Borjan sits and somehow you stage the transition to 2026, just don't do anything to poison the group going forwards. 

If anyone thinks we need to start preparing for 2026 right now, three years off, you are mistaken. And if we think a guy who's gotten a few starts after a year injured is more prepared than a guy in a European cup competition playing well, I would also say: seriously doubt it.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is right. 

Biello has no authority to start to break up the team and remove starters, he is only a provisional coach and there is no evidence he will be our man going forwards. So instead of creating a "scene" in a friendly one-off, which would be when Borjan sits and somehow you stage the transition to 2026, just don't do anything to poison the group going forwards. 

If anyone thinks we need to start preparing for 2026 right now, three years off, you are mistaken. And if we think a guy who's gotten a few starts after a year injured is more prepared than a guy in a European cup competition playing well, I would also say: seriously doubt it.

I agree with your overall point but this is kind of funny to read. If Biello doesn't have the authority who does? Herdman? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree with your overall point but this is kind of funny to read. If Biello doesn't have the authority who does? Herdman? :lol:

The new coach going forward can do what he wants. He'll have total authority. But if Biello creates bad blood, unnecessary tension, raises doubts, he'll have created unnecessary problems for the new guy coming in.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The new coach going forward can do what he wants. He'll have total authority. But if Biello creates bad blood, unnecessary tension, raises doubts, he'll have created unnecessary problems for the new guy coming in.

I agree with the sentiment but not for your reasons. Biello doesnt want to make crazy changes because the best way for him to get the full time job is results. Is the squad better today when we replace experienced vets with inexperienced guys who are not clearly better? Most squads in the world transition slowly. A perfect example is that larin is now taking the spot of cav (from an experienced point of view). David moves to larins spot and theres now an open spot for a newish inexperienced guy like brym or ugbo. 

Who fills the leadership void of hoillet, cav, spoony, vitoria, borjan, MAK and oso if we drop all of them at once.
Corbeanu, brym, choineire, ZMG, sirios, paton, saliba enter the squad. Which of the regulars step up? Positionally speaking crepeau and larin can take on more leadership and have a natural passing of the torch but all the other positions would be replaced by young guys like kone and buchanan. Thats not a bad thing but a more focused transition is easier than big changes all at once for an interim manager with only a couple of windows to work with the players. 

There’s good points to the debate by everyone here about how the transition should start. Most of our core is in place, still young, which makes us attractive to a good coach (finances aside), but if I’m Biello, I’d act like the full time job is mine. He did make some changes and add some new guys. There’s a balance here in doing it but I feel the urgency to move guys along is coming quickly. Do you really want guys like Borjan, Hoilett and Vitoria for example playing large roles in COPA this summer assuming we qualify (as we think they won’t be there in ‘26)? If not, do you not need to start turning over the roster and playing other guys now so when COPA arrives they’re better prepared? Tough choices to make. I want to see more changes and younger skill inserted. Borjan on the bench for this game and Crepeau starting would be my choice. 

I'm not too concerned with preparing for 2026 right now.  Although we should start considering it next year after Copa America and let's be honest, there's really only a few players that are at the level needed to be to integrate into our National program.  And that can all change in a few months.  Kone went from off our radar to a bonafide starter in only a few months.  Now I can't even fathom a starting lineup without him (even in his current lack of form).

For some added perspective.  And yes, I know that we do not have the quality or star power of Argentina, but did anyone know that Emi Martinez, went into Copa America 2021 with only two caps for Argentina.  They went on to win the tournament and to win the World Cup only 17 months later as well.  On top of that, heading into that Copa America, Julian Alvarez only had 1 cap.  Defenders Nahuel Molina had 1 cap, Lisandro Martinez had 2 caps, Cristian Romero had 2 caps, Gonzalo Montiel had 7 caps.  Enzo Fernandez didn't even have an appearance for Argentina until later in 2022 after Copa America and Mac Allister didn't even get recalled to Argentina until 2022 after receiving 2 caps for domestic based friendlies back in 2019.

I also fully understand that we don't have Messi, we don't have the same quality, we don't have the depth, we don't have the same funding, we have far less friendlies and training together in comparison to Argentina.  Just thought I would add some perspective.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I'm not too concerned with preparing for 2026 right now.  Although we should start considering it next year after Copa America and let's be honest, there's really only a few players that are at the level needed to be to integrate into our National program.  And that can all change in a few months.  Kone went from off our radar to a bonafide starter in only a few months.  Now I can't even fathom a starting lineup without him (even in his current lack of form).

For some added perspective.  And yes, I know that we do not have the quality or star power of Argentina, but did anyone know that Emi Martinez, went into Copa America 2021 with only two caps for Argentina.  They went on to win the tournament and to win the World Cup only 17 months later as well.  On top of that, heading into that Copa America, Julian Alvarez only had 1 cap.  Defenders Nahuel Molina had 1 cap, Lisandro Martinez had 2 caps, Cristian Romero had 2 caps, Gonzalo Montiel had 7 caps.  Enzo Fernandez didn't even have an appearance for Argentina until later in 2022 after Copa America and Mac Allister didn't even get recalled to Argentina until 2022 after receiving 2 caps for domestic based friendlies back in 2019.

I also fully understand that we don't have Messi, we don't have the same quality, we don't have the depth, we don't have the same funding, we have far less friendlies and training together in comparison to Argentina.  Just thought I would add some perspective.

We don't have Messi, but we have Davies who is much more impactful than a lot of World Cup teams' best players- I mean, the US made the group stage despite them not having a single guy better than even our second best player. 

Plus, every world cup has guys you mention- players with no experience that seize the moment. I made a thread just after the world cup comparing our roster that qualified to the roster that I believe played the last game before we were eliminated from 2018 qualifying, and some of the names on that 2018 roster... I mean, it's night and day. 

The difference between us and Argentina is that Argentina will always have players, but we need to fight for ours. I think that our top priority is getting young players excited to represent Canada and to commit to growing this program. I think if we can lock in a few of our top dual nationals, our current core keeps improving their form as they hit their prime, and we get a couple players who we don't know about yet who will become big players for us- just like a few we didn't know about in 2018, then we're going to have a really good team come 2026. 

Looking at a possible 2026 squad options (based on potential) vs 2022 squad 
GK: Mcgill, sirios, veteran (crepeau) - better
 RB: Johnston, franklin, laryea - better
CB: Nimick, LDF, stefanovic, bombito, cornelius, miller, zmg, JKL- better 
LB: Davies, adekugbe - better but need a new LB to emerge
Cm: Staq, kone, oso, choiniere, ali, saliba, dias, pellegrino, zouhir, costa, smith, JMR, colyn, loturi, paton, rea - better
Winger: Buchanan, corbeanu, millar, nelson, shaf, sali - better
St: David, larin, ugbo, brym, Jebbo, vilsaint, JRR, michel, diallo, - better 

Now add in some random duals like sigur, kolo, abzi, farsi, Gauld?  etc and some youngsters who could breakout like de guzman, chukwu, TJ,  and khan. Its hard to see a world where our depth is not double or triple even and our floor is much higher than at the WC.  Obviously alot of these kids may not pan out by 2026 or ever, but theres just so much more to be excited for than ever before. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Consider an alternate approach:

Biello is told to make the tough calls and begin the succession planning, knowing full well that some big changes need to be made, so that “the new guy” doesn’t have to start off his tenure by being an asshole to some of the old guard and pissing off their long time teammates.  Vitoria and Borjan are not in the team long term, so why not have the interim guy do the dirty work?  It isn’t like those two decisions are debatable.  It is a matter of when it happens, not if.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Consider an alternate approach:

Biello is told to make the tough calls and begin the succession planning, knowing full well that some big changes need to be made, so that “the new guy” doesn’t have to start off his tenure by being an asshole to some of the old guard and pissing off their long time teammates.  Vitoria and Borjan are not in the team long term, so why not have the interim guys do the dirty work?  It isn’t like those two decisions are debatable.  It is a matter of when it happens, not if.  

There's a thing called loyalty, because these guys don't travel halfway around the world for money. They've been amazingly dedicated to Canada. 

Why leave them high and dry and with a bad taste in their mouths? Is that a good message to the younger guys, that eventually they'll be tossed onto the dung pile too? How does that breed a culture of convincing dual nationals, the message that Canada will wipe it's face with you and throw you away?

That said, if we have qualifying for Copa America and the like, before 2026, you can't tell me a keeper in Conference League and a top flight Portugal CB aren't tremendously useful still.

There's nothing like the experience of playing at the WC and then going up vs Belgium, Croatia and Morrocco. I'd say there was a lot of learning for all the young guns on top of the Champions league games that some of them have played. Vet leadership is good. The question is how much do you really need? You got to blood new players over time but you also need  competitive games and we don't play WCQ for 2026. So if it's not Copa then there's  only GC2025

I wonder if it's a case of "let's get Copa America qualification secured" before focusing on building for the future/2026.

At the same time, we need those marquee matches to help us prepare for the World Cup, which means a potential reliance on the veterans/regulars again next summer to get those reps in against quality opponents, which delays the transition of new players. That's before we even mention possible morale issues with certain selection decisions being made.

That succession plan will be up to the new coach (or Biello if he's hired permanently) but I am very curious to see how the selection process goes in March and next summer given the issues we've seen in those big games vs. preparing for the future.

Edited by FreddyCanuck

36 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There's nothing like the experience of playing at the WC and then going up vs Belgium, Croatia and Morrocco. I'd say there was a lot of learning for all the young guns on top of the Champions league games that some of them have played. Vet leadership is good. The question is how much do you really need? You got to blood new players over time but you also need  competitive games and we don't play WCQ for 2026. So if it's not Copa then there's  only GC2025

I think that theres maturity that goes along with leadership. David and davies can be leaders but who keeps them in check when they play hero ball. will they have the emotional iq to keep the dressing room in check, keep standards both on and off the field etc.? 

Thats where continuity comes in. Larin learned from cav and can now do the same for a guy like brym. 

We also have come up with this dichotomy of we choose vets or youth, but thats not reality. youth learn from vets, from there club, and from being in the environment. Bombito is learning from vitoria so when he has earned his spot, he will become the starter. then if a younger player earns his spot from his club from, he could push out vitoria and learn from bombito. Unless theres a star player who wont need much time to settle into the team (kone), then vitoria being around to guide bombito and LDF is actually helpful for bleeding them into the team. 

Im confident crepeau can walk into any CMNT game and be fine. Its not like we need to prep today for his eventual #1 spot. Hoilett isnt a starter even so guys like buchanan, millar etc already are prepped for hoiletts eventual departure. The only unknown is who is ready to take vitorias spot. Currently no one undisputedly makes our squad better if they step in for vitoria. It'll be useful to prep bombito, ZMG, LDF but whoever is the new vitoria will 100% get reps in the future even with vitoria in the squad.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, because I'll support who ever is leading Canada... but zzzzzzzzzzz.

He just doesn't get me excited whatsoever.

True.

But also Hardman was a motivator. Will be hard to find someone as or even half as exciting as him. But your right Biello looks line wet sock!

I'll do a little Herdman for those feeling nostalgic 

Radom question "yahhhhh, it's brilliant. This is what you want as a footballer. You want these big moments don't you? We've been doing so much preparation. We've been preparing and working everyday and preparing our preparation for these big moments. this is what you dream about isn't it?

Edited by SpursFlu

21 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Radom question "yahhhhh, it's brilliant. This is what you want as a footballer. You want these big moments don't you? We've been doing so much preparation. We've been preparing and working everyday and preparing our preparation for these big moments. this is what you dream about isn't it?

Shit, this made me kind of nostalgic. And The Beaver doesn't do nostalgia. (You nailed it.)

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Post game - “we only had two days of training, Japan has been together for seven!”

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Thats where continuity comes in. Larin learned from cav and can now do the same for a guy like brym. 

Ummmm, I think Larin prob had 20 national teams games in before Cavallini came back from his walkabout when he wished he was Uruguayan.  Maybe Larin learned from RIcketts eh.  

As for Biello not being a camera hog and blabbing at the media 24-7....thats fine with me.