Friendly: Japan vs Canada - Friday, October 13th - 6:35am Eastern / 3:35am Pacific - Niigata, Japan

3 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Key take away: "get back to that mindset".  How many times did he say that exactly?  Pretty clear the team and room is not in the state it was a while back.  Reading between the lines it's pretty clear there was a change in the past year, the belief and running through walls was gone.  I'd put my money on the months between qualification and WC warm-ups. 

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

Key take away: "get back to that mindset".  How many times did he say that exactly?  Pretty clear the team and room is not in the state it was a while back.  Reading between the lines it's pretty clear there was a change in the past year, the belief and running through walls was gone.  I'd put my money on the months between qualification and WC warm-ups. 

I think it all started around the time of the iran and panama fiasco with the csa etc i

3 hours ago, frmr said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, because I'll support who ever is leading Canada... but zzzzzzzzzzz.

He just doesn't get me excited whatsoever.

And that's a good thing.  Biello certainly isn't as articulate as John, but do you know what he is?  An experienced footballer with 81 goals to his name who also coached a certain Didier freakin Drogba.

Do you think JD could sit down with Herdman and take anything he says about scoring seriously?  Can you even imagine Herdman explaining a run to JD?  Can you imagine the eye rolls even with a pro and nice guy like Jonathan? 

Perhaps the lower rung guys who need a confidence and moral boost still enjoyed the talks and mind games, but time for talking is over.  Herdman took the team as far as he could, the curse is lifted, CANMNT is in a better place and Herdman is a big part of that.  We need a soccer coach now.

I think Biello is sticking with the WC starters for the beginning of this match, except for maybe Piette being slotted in for Eustaquio.   Hoillet will see time off the bench, and then the remaining sub places will be used up for other incumbents and newbies.

I am more curious to see who the odd-men-out will be in terms of not seeing any action, besides one or both back up keepers.

I am also hoping that David and Larin get back in the goal scoring groove.  That would be nice to see.

And finally, I hope we are unscathed by injuries, especially with the Montreal and Caps guys with league playoffs in the balance.

10 hours ago, Corazon said:

I'm not too concerned with preparing for 2026 right now.  Although we should start considering it next year after Copa America and let's be honest, there's really only a few players that are at the level needed to be to integrate into our National program.  And that can all change in a few months.  Kone went from off our radar to a bonafide starter in only a few months.  Now I can't even fathom a starting lineup without him (even in his current lack of form).

For some added perspective.  And yes, I know that we do not have the quality or star power of Argentina, but did anyone know that Emi Martinez, went into Copa America 2021 with only two caps for Argentina.  They went on to win the tournament and to win the World Cup only 17 months later as well.  On top of that, heading into that Copa America, Julian Alvarez only had 1 cap.  Defenders Nahuel Molina had 1 cap, Lisandro Martinez had 2 caps, Cristian Romero had 2 caps, Gonzalo Montiel had 7 caps.  Enzo Fernandez didn't even have an appearance for Argentina until later in 2022 after Copa America and Mac Allister didn't even get recalled to Argentina until 2022 after receiving 2 caps for domestic based friendlies back in 2019.

I also fully understand that we don't have Messi, we don't have the same quality, we don't have the depth, we don't have the same funding, we have far less friendlies and training together in comparison to Argentina.  Just Ythought I would add some perspective.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say that you don't think we should be preparing for 2026 now and then acknowledge that there's only a few players that are at the level needed to integrate into the team now anyways. Wouldn't that be a reason to start integrating players now because we have too few players that are at that level? By identifying players who are near that level or have the potential to reach the level it would make sense to integrate them now so as as to expedite their trajectory to reach the level of the SMNT so we increase the pool of players beyond "a few" that can play for the team. You then identify Kone. He wasn't at "the level", but was playing well and was called because it was believed he could reach it and he gradually upped his game as he was given more caps and game time.  He's an example of a player who was introduced and weaned in.

We don't have the luxury of having players that are uncapped who play at an exceptionally high level. It's not like the Argentine players came out of nowhere. Scaloni stubbornly left many of these players out for as long as he did and finally called them. Romero was Serie A defender of the year and the public was clamouring for him to get a cap and Scaloni refused to call him up. Emi Martinez was starting for Arsenal and playing exceptionally well and Scaloni still refused to call him. Enzo came on the scene real late with his superb performances for Benfica and became a European hot prospect right before the World Cup and he earned his inclusion with his club play. Their right back situation was not figured out and they gave Molina a crack and it worked out. 

We're not in the same boat. We have to develop players and introduce them to the SMNT to get them at the level we need them to because we don't have enough players doing it on their own at club level. That's just the reality right now. The most relatable player to this would be Molina. The right back situation was a cause for concern for Argentina. They didn't have a player who was at "the level needed to integrate" to the team. They tried Montiel, Foyth, and Casco and finally tried Molina and it worked out. It wasn't like he was a shoe in and playing at an exceptionally high level at Udinese. He was very good, but his inclusion wasn't a given. They gave him a try and integrated him into the team. This is what we have to do. The sooner the better. It can't be done in one fell swoop at every position that needs to be addressed, but we gotta start at least one at a time.

Edited by RojitoTO

It’s been about 22 degrees all day, and it’s cooling down now, at 3:00PM.   If the game had been two weeks ago, it would have been in the 30’’s, with humidity anywhere between 50 and 80%.
I was talking to a guy who wanted to go to the game, but couldn’t get the time off on a Friday.   His favourite non-Japanese player is Phonzie.

13 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

It's a very sensible lineup from Biello, if not encouraging. Firstly, Cornelius must be getting the start in the middle of a back 3, something we've wanted to see after his play with Malmo. Laryea is experienced and has played in big games before. Great athleticism on the right and good on both sides of the ball. Davies picks himself on the left and Miller and Johnston as the outside center backs. It's truly a case of Biello picking the best options, I believe 

The midfield may be less inspiring, but it's sensible I would argue. Piette had to start without Eustaquio. We need that steel in there. Osorio may not be the most popular right now, especially with Choniere on the bench, but it is Osorio and it's a good test to see if his Gold Cup form was the exception. We need to find this out so good to see him start. Kone is obviously the most talented player in the middle and was always going to start this one. He has a lot to prove and without Eustaquio it will be good to see if he can be "the guy".

David and Larin is no surprised and the right call. Borjan in goal we knew about. Not much to talk about there.

10 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I seem to get the sense he did travel, was assessed and turned back to Portugal, which much have been very frustrating.

Yeah confirmed just now on One Soccer...he got hurt but travelled anyway then Canada deemed him unfit and sent him back. Gotta love that committment. Silly of me to ever question it. 

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah confirmed just now on One Soccer...he got hurt but travelled anyway then Canada deemed him unfit and sent him back. Gotta love that committment. Silly of me to ever question it. 

Is it sad that my first thought for the state of the program is that Canada Soccer could have used the funds if they had cancelled that plane ticket? Haha