Friendly: Japan vs Canada - Friday, October 13th - 6:35am Eastern / 3:35am Pacific - Niigata, Japan

48 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Good lineups. Who do you have in net? Crepeau? 

Edit: Also, didn't notice Oso in the first one. I might put Choiniere there instead. Otherwise, 👌.

Anybody but Borjan. No disrespect, just want to prepare for the future. 

I want to see Choiniere and in that position too...just not starting. YET!

1 hour ago, Shway said:

My ideal lineups based on formation.

4231: 

Johnston-Corneilius-Miller-Davies
---------Staq------Kone----------
Millar---------David--------Hoilett
--------------Larin----------------

I like this formation but don’t love having Hoilett start for us. If we want to keep Davies at LB though, I don’t know what we can do aside from getting weird and having Adekugbe as a wing, or like a 3 man midfield where you add Choiniere and try Millar and David as CAMs, I dunno. I think here’s where having Corbeanu on the team would’ve given us some roster flexibility. We can’t go in there and decide we’re cycling out Borjan and Vitória but still keeping Hoilett as an important player. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I like this formation but don’t love having Hoilett start for us. If we want to keep Davies at LB though, I don’t know what we can do aside from getting weird and having Adekugbe as a wing, or like a 3 man midfield where you add Choiniere and try Millar and David as CAMs, I dunno. I think here’s where having Corbeanu on the team would’ve given us some roster flexibility. We can’t go in there and decide we’re cycling out Borjan and Vitória but still keeping Hoilett as an important player. 

I agree,( and the part about Theo)...I don't want Hoilett starting either but the reality is if we play that formation it requires him to start, because there isn't options. I wouldn't want to see Choiniere or Osorio in some awakes formation that puts them on the wings like someone suggested. 

For me, I was/I've been the #1 advocate here for us to play the 352 since 2019 and it has been monumental for us. I understand the perspective of we may not have the CBS to play it efficiently on the larger stage, but I still think Davies is one of our best attackers, and all of our current depth/personnel is best suited for a 352 - even with the newcomers. 

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree,( and the part about Theo)...I don't want Hoilett starting either but the reality is if we play that formation it requires him to start, because there isn't options. I wouldn't want to see Choiniere or Osorio in some awakes formation that puts them on the wings like someone suggested. 

For me, I was/I've been the #1 advocate here for us to play the 352 since 2019 and it has been monumental for us. I understand the perspective of we may not have the CBS to play it efficiently on the larger stage, but I still think Davies is one of our best attackers, and all of our current depth/personnel is best suited for a 352 - even with the newcomers. 

Arguably theo, nelson and shaf (although he played wb at the GC) are the only players who dont suit 3-5-2. Johnston is not as effective as a rcb compared to RB but he still was one of the best players over the course of qualifying. Hoilett at wingback and striker is not ideal but as a super sub, we can find him a WB, Cam or St spot. 

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yeah, like I said, just given the roster comp we have right now, you can't really go with a back 4 and not start Hoilett unless you want to put Davies up front or go with some really strange lineups with guys out of position. I'd be fine with the 352 if we had the cast. What issues it would solve if LDF commits and is the real deal, though he'd only probably crack the team on merit by 2026 when he'll be 21, so not much help with Nations League or Copa, or even the next Gold Cup. I just think given how terrible our CB lineup is, having the world's best LB and having a quasi-elite RB in Johnston (who I think can still propel himself to a higher level) is going to at least help. I trust Cornelius and Miller in the back, not so sure Vitoria has much in the tank left, Bombito is still a massive q

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Hoping for the 3-5-2

Crepeau

Johnston-Cornelius-Miller

Laryea-Kone-Estaquio-Choiniere-Davies

David-Larin

Team basically picks itself when you line it up in a 3-5-2. For me that's clearly getting all the best and/or most in-form players on the pitch. I guess you could argue St. Clair for Crepeau, but I like this. 

Just now, Obinna said:

Team basically picks itself when you line it up in a 3-5-2. For me that's clearly getting all the best and/or most in-form players on the pitch. I guess you could argue St. Clair for Crepeau, but I like this. 

I suppose you could argue Millar for Laryea as well, but that's probably the closest debate oen could have, unless I am overlooking someone. 

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just swap Millar to the left and replace Hoilett with Laryea. Or give Choiniere a start - he’s raw but I trust him and he’ll thrive in an athletic game. 

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, like I said, just given the roster comp we have right now, you can't really go with a back 4 and not start Hoilett unless you want to put Davies up front or go with some really strange lineups with guys out of position. I'd be fine with the 352 if we had the cast. What issues it would solve if LDF commits and is the real deal, though he'd only probably crack the team on merit by 2026 when he'll be 21, so not much help with Nations League or Copa, or even the next Gold Cup. I just think given how terrible our CB lineup is, having the world's best LB and having a quasi-elite RB in Johnston (who I think can still propel himself to a higher level) is going to at least help. I trust Cornelius and Miller in the back, not so sure Vitoria has much in the tank left, Bombito is still a massive q

Bombito is the future  Iwould like go see him play in that rumoured friendly against the UAE on January 6

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not sure how we come to the "best and/or most in form players on the pitch" conclusion when putting Larin and David on the pitch together.  They're both stone cold, and playing two strikers vs a better opponent is not wise.  Been there, done that, got burned.

Johnston can do the job at CB, but it's not his best spot.  

We still have the same weakness in playing "Johnston Cornelius Miller" too slow and too short.  Gotta start building familiarity among our new CB options. Gotta address the aerial short comings as well as the lack of speed, putting Davies at LB would help.  We've seen him bail out the BM CB's loads of times, he could do the same for CANMNT.  It's exactly what we need.  What we don't need is more Davies hero ball up front.  He's the best LB in the world.

I agree that given the squad selection it's looking like 3-5-2, but it's quite unfortunate.  Indicates Biello is leaning towards safety and continuity instead of challenging the status quo.  

I'm disappointed Borjan, Hoilett and Vitoria are all there at the expense of the future, I'll be gutted if they actually see the field.  It's the perfect time to reset and try new things.  It's a friendly, if not now, when?

10 hours ago, GasPed said:

Hey, as a Grampus fan, have you been there (I mean Niigata)?  Any insights?

Sorry, I haven't.   However, I'm hoping to get to the stadium fairly early, so if there's anything that stands out, and if I can manage to do it on my phone (I'm old and not what you might call tech-savvy) I'll post it if anyone's interested.

I know very little about the city of Niigata, but the prefecture (the closest thing I can think of is an English county) is famous for a few things.  The stadium is on the edge of the city, and on the other side is all rice fields.  Niigata's main claim to fame within Japan is rice, which in turn makes it also well-known for excellent sake.  It's also the snowiest prefecture, and the skiing's supposed to be excellent.

As for the stadium (probably what you were actually interested in), the bottom row of the stands is about two metres above the ground, and then there's a big, blue void between the stands and the track, and then way beyond the track is the pitch, which I'm guessing from my seat in the 17th row is going to look like a relief map of Saskatchewan.

Sorry if none of that is what you were looking for.

43 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'll be gutted if they actually see the field.  It's the perfect time to reset and try new things.  It's a friendly, if not now, when?

I am just hoping for no injuries.  I think Schuster and Caps ownership will be gutted if Hoillet and Adekugbe get crocked up in their appearances.  At least Hoillet has been playing in MLS all season so his durability is more likely to be maintained.

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I am just hoping for no injuries.  I think Schuster and Caps ownership will be gutted if Hoillet and Adekugbe get crocked up in their appearances.  At least Hoillet has been playing in MLS all season so his durability is more likely to be maintained.

You meant Laryea I think.

Just the same, what are the subs for a friendly, 7 maximum? 

I would start Borjan and put in Crepeau in the 2nd half, changing of the guard. And a recognition of Maxime, who missed a World Cup because of his injury after his incredible service to us in qualifying.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You meant Laryea I think.

Just the same, what are the subs for a friendly, 7 maximum? 

I would start Borjan and put in Crepeau in the 2nd half, changing of the guard. And a recognition of Maxime, who missed a World Cup because of his injury after his incredible service to us in qualifying.

Think it’s 7. Would agree with that change of keeper and logic, but also would love to just see Max get it. Thanks to Borjan, but Max deserves his spot.

Personally, with only one game this window, I’d like to see us make a big lineup change at half. Maybe 6 subs, save one for emergencies? Get guys who came to the camp as much game time as possible, and subbing someone on late for minimal minutes seems silly.