Lazar Stefanovic

Dominic94

6 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

Both Stefanovic and Pearlman have guaranteed HG first team contracts in their Next Pro deals. Lazar deserves one now but I'm not sure how that works.

They may not have the roster room to sign him?

They used a hardship exception to sign a keeper 

• 2 months later...

Probably one of the guys from the U17 that I am most excited about. Seems very poised for his age. I wonder what Toronto has planned for him. I mentioned during the season last year, that there was no reason why he should be behind Mabika on the depth chart.

Also was curious how many defenders moved from MLS to Europe before becoming established players. Only ones I found was Chris Richards going from FC Dallas academy to Bayern and Joe Scally playing 4 games for NYCFC to Monchengladbach. 

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see some stats on CB development.  Does developing on a weak defensive team at a young age improve or disadvantage strong CB prospects?  Confidence and mind set is so important for athletes.  I wonder if getting burned often and repeatedly at a young age with no strong CB partner affects development vs playing beside a pillar and early success.

Anyone have examples or observations they can share?

28 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'd love to see some stats on CB development.  Does developing on a weak defensive team at a young age improve or disadvantage strong CB prospects?  Confidence and mind set is so important for athletes.  I wonder if getting burned often and repeatedly at a young age with no strong CB partner affects development vs playing beside a pillar and early success.

Bonucci played for a terrible Treviso team in Serie B to start his career. Chiellini came through at a decent Livorno side in B. 

Just two players that I immediately thought of and looked into. 

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Bonucci played for a terrible Treviso team in Serie B to start his career. Chiellini came through at a decent Livorno side in B. 

Just two players that I immediately thought of and looked into. 

Thanks - I forgot about Bonucci.  Both my parents are from Treviso and I remember my Dad telling me about Bonucci back then.

Personal fun fact - I've had the honour of donning the Treviso jersey.  My dad used to help organize a yearly soccer tournament between teams from the Veneto region.  Treviso used to ship us their old official jerseys.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Thanks - I forgot about Bonucci.  Both my parents are from Treviso and I remember my Dad telling me about Bonucci back then.

Personal fun fact - I've had the honour of donning the Treviso jersey.  My dad used to help organize a yearly soccer tournament between teams from the Veneto region.  Treviso used to ship us their old official jerseys.

My wife’s family is from Treviso as well. Small world - thanks for sharing that! Love to hear stores like that. 

48 minutes ago, costarg said:

Kim Min-Jae started out in semi pro Korean league, then top Korean tier, then China, then Fenerbahce before he got to Napoli then Bayern. His teams were good, but I would imagine TFC is a better level than any of those clubs until Fenerbahce.

John Stones came up with Barnsley and I think they were nearly relegated from the championship in both of his first two seasons.

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Should have been there from the start

He was there from the start, got called the day before the team flew. Interesting approach Herdman is taking by not really including TFC2 guys and academy players, while CF Montreal has 8 academy players with them for preseason. I hope it doesn’t mean opportunities will be tough to come by for guys like Stefanovic, although they probably will be unless he really proves himself this year (though he has kind of already done that). Rooting for the kid

8 minutes ago, AnonymousInsider said:

He was there from the start, got called the day before the team flew. Interesting approach Herdman is taking by not really including TFC2 guys and academy players, while CF Montreal has 8 academy players with them for preseason. I hope it doesn’t mean opportunities will be tough to come by for guys like Stefanovic, although they probably will be unless he really proves himself this year (though he has kind of already done that). Rooting for the kid

He wasn't listed in their press release listing who they were taking down south 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

He wasn't listed in their press release listing who they were taking down south 

May have missed a day, I’m not 100 percent sure because I haven’t talked to my source in a week about him, but either missed a day or was just invited right before the team left. But anyway he’s there now so it doesn’t really matter. Still agree it should’ve been a no-brainer to preseason

15 hours ago, costarg said:

My family is from Treviso too 

12 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Not sure if this helps but getting burned repeatedly at 45 years-old in men's oldtimers leagues does not make for a better player.  Mostly just makes for a heavier drinker.

Don't give up, surely the development, timing and experience will start to kick in shortly.  CB's take a while longer.