Lazar Stefanovic

Dominic94

Didn’t see quotes posted of his performance so here’s why I found:

“I think he can be proud of his performance, what a moment for him on Canada Day under the lights. Some of the thinking was Shane’s been out for a while, we knew we could get to 50, 60 (minutes) with him. ‘Laz’ coming on just settled us down a little bit, he’s comfortable with the ball, there’s more to come. You’ve got two centre-forwards up against him, and I thought he did well,” Dunfield said.

“I think ‘Laz’ did well,” Franklin said about his teammate. “Coming into a game like that, 0-0, as a young centre-back is no easy task. I think he dealt with it well and he has a bright future ahead of him.”

6 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Ah I don’t know, I just took what I saw from Toronto FC’s press release when it happened (https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toronto-fc-sign-gavran-and-stefanovic-to-short-term-agreements) :

“Toronto FC announced today that the club has signed goalkeeper Luka Gavran and Lazar Stefanovic to short term agreements from Toronto FC II for the club’s next two MLS matches against Real Salt Lake and Orlando City SC.”

Ahh, okay guess it is two games and four days then. Another one of those MLS rules that always seems to go against each other. Curic signed deals on May 17 and 20 and Gavran signed deals on June 21 and 24 (both within four days), but now these two can play on one short term loan....Oh MLS, never change with your rules that make no sense.

11 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Which league provides the best level of quality, MLS NextPro or CPL? Has anybody hear watched a  of both? In terms of minutes, would, for example, Jordan Perruzza, who is getting no minutes at TFC, be better off getting minutes in CPL or in NextPro? IMHO, nether league has a very high standard.

In Perruzza’s case he’s already had two successful loan spells at San Antonio in the USL so the CPL doesn’t make sense unless he’s released and prefers it to the USL. He gets NextPro loans at times to get match fitness not to develop. 

As for the general question at hand, I always think playing kids against men can be good for the former if they’re up to it.  You get that in the CPL or USL. At any rate he may not be getting minutes in MLS unless the injuries and Dunfield (his youth coach) continue. 

While it may not help his confidence, a 16 year old getting minutes in MLS in a back line that is getting constantly attacked could be a pretty big learning opportunity for him.  For a lot of young guys I would be advocating an exit from TFC as fast as possible given the level of dysfunction lately, but the coaching change and the chance for minutes there (whereas he probably wouldn’t get them somewhere else) may be an opportunity.  As long as his confidence doesn’t get absolutely crushed he could come out of this a lot stronger.  

19 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

So his two games are up, ending his short term contract. Wonder what happens next, if they can extend it or give him a new one, or if he goes back down. Hope they can keep him up, his performances seem to warrant it.

They can play a max of two MLS games on short-term loans, so he can't sign another. Either needs to sign an MLS contract or else he's limited to TFC2 for the rest of the year

44 minutes ago, rydermike said:

They can play a max of two MLS games on short-term loans, so he can't sign another. Either needs to sign an MLS contract or else he's limited to TFC2 for the rest of the year

Seems like he has done well. Will be very hard not to reward him with a first team contract unless they have another first team CB coming through the door. How does it work the other way if they sign him to a first team contract, can he return and play to TFC2 freely or is it a similar loan system where he can only be loaned back down a certain number of games?

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Seems like he has done well. Will be very hard not to reward him with a first team contract unless they have another first team CB coming through the door. How does it work the other way if they sign him to a first team contract, can he return and play to TFC2 freely or is it a similar loan system where he can only be loaned back down a certain number of games?

He can go downwards an unlimited number of times. 

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

He can go downwards an unlimited number of times. 

Would be awesome to sign him and be able to send down, but I wonder if that would rule him out of playing in the MLS NEXT All Star game? Thats set to take place on July 19th, so a few weeks away, but maybe he goes to play in that and then signs a 1st team contract.

26 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Would be awesome to sign him and be able to send down, but I wonder if that would rule him out of playing in the MLS NEXT All Star game? Thats set to take place on July 19th, so a few weeks away, but maybe he goes to play in that and then signs a 1st team contract.

I doubt that would drive either the player’s or the team’s decision.  Of the team needs defensive cover they won’t cad about a lower tier all star game.  And if a 16 year old player has a chance to sign his first pro contract he won’t hesitate.  

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I wonder if TFC will give him a senior team contract before Saturday's game v St. Louis.

Hedges and Rosted are still out.

Would be a pretty amazing development for him - even if it is a product of the specific injury circumstances at TFC.  Start to make real money, get to train with the first team (probably even after the injury list eases up), grab minutes here and there, and still get to stretch your legs with TFC2 when the defensive core comes back (if you haven’t managed to displace one of them).   For a 16 yr old kid that seems like a dream scenario.   

• 4 weeks later...