Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Good thing a guy like Kompany would never be partisan on the part of Belgium or anything...

Actually I was disappointed that we didn't get the usual British/FIFA feed, I would liked to have heard that instead of the usual MLS guys for TSN

I don't know who was doing color commentary for the UK feed, but it was a former player, and he was like Hutchinson is way older than me, and he's playing in a world cup, I thought that was kind of funny antidote to it.

12 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I don't know who was doing color commentary for the UK feed, but it was a former player, and he was like Hutchinson is way older than me, and he's playing in a world cup, I thought that was kind of funny antidote to it.

In Australia, we had Peter Drury, who's the best in the business, and another guy doing the commentary. They were effusive in their praise for Canada throughout the game and singled out Herdman's influence more than once.

This seems like as good a day as any to de-lurk. Just on the topic of the similarity of this result to the loss to France in '86 (my first CANMNT memory), I had the same thought so I went back and watched the extended highlights of that match on youtube and the two matches are night and day different despite ending with the same scoreline - honestly, I understand the feeling of similarity, but watching the highlights puts any thought like that to rest.

By the end the commentator was going on about how France could have, and should have, scored a pile of goals, and it's true they should have. Nobody ended that game saying Canada deserved a win or even a draw, just that they almost miraculously held on for a draw thanks to terrible finishing by France (a young Platini missed an empty net sitter, among many others).

The one comment in the match today that really got to me, after decades of suffering with the team, was near the end of the 2nd half when the ball found its way to Borjan, and the commentator matter of factly noted that he hadn't had much to do today. At the World Cup, against Belgium, playing attacking football, not parking the bus, and our keeper really did have  almost nothing to do all match - I could hardly even process the moment.

Who knows what happens with the next 2 games, we could lose them both 2-0, it is possible, Croatia and Morocco are tough sides, and maybe the bounces keep not going our way, but this is not 1986 and Canada is not going back into the wilderness for decades. Heck, you could probably take this exact Canada team, without adding a single player and qualify for the 2030 world cup, with 6 spots available from Concacaf.

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I watched a US feed and the guys were pretty good, even handed and plenty of good things to say about Canada, without being too annoying.  Turned it to TSN for pregame and halftime etc.  

The census you got on the UK feed was why is Belgium so bad. Not that Canada was good.

US and Mexico are always competitive in the World Cup, in qualifying Canada was better than both of them, so even though Belgium was favored, I always thought it would be competitive.

4 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

The census you got on the UK feed was why is Belgium so bad. Not that Canada was good.

US and Mexico are always competitive in the World Cup, in qualifying Canada was better than both of them, so even though Belgium was favored, I always thought it would be competitive.

We ain't going to change how media around the world thinks about our program over night.  But if we continue to put in good performances, maybe get that win, that goal, that clean sheet, then folks will see the pattern and figure it out. We're for real...the rest of the world is just waking up to this. Hell, most of us didn't know we'd be THIS good today!

43 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

This seems like as good a day as any to de-lurk. Just on the topic of the similarity of this result to the loss to France in '86 (my first CANMNT memory), I had the same thought so I went back and watched the extended highlights of that match on youtube and the two matches are night and day different despite ending with the same scoreline - honestly, I understand the feeling of similarity, but watching the highlights puts any thought like that to rest.

By the end the commentator was going on about how France could have, and should have, scored a pile of goals, and it's true they should have. Nobody ended that game saying Canada deserved a win or even a draw, just that they almost miraculously held on for a draw thanks to terrible finishing by France (a young Platini missed an empty net sitter, among many others).

The one comment in the match today that really got to me, after decades of suffering with the team, was near the end of the 2nd half when the ball found its way to Borjan, and the commentator matter of factly noted that he hadn't had much to do today. At the World Cup, against Belgium, playing attacking football, not parking the bus, and our keeper really did have  almost nothing to do all match - I could hardly even process the moment.

Who knows what happens with the next 2 games, we could lose them both 2-0, it is possible, Croatia and Morocco are tough sides, and maybe the bounces keep not going our way, but this is not 1986 and Canada is not going back into the wilderness for decades. Heck, you could probably take this exact Canada team, without adding a single player and qualify for the 2030 world cup, with 6 spots available from Concacaf.

I like others remembering of ‘86 and comparisons of then and now… it’s really good to have some living football memory. I’m not even sure you can have football without that.

But yes, we were really poor in ‘86 and I didn’t have much sense that we belonged on the pitch with France. Today we were the better team and we continued to be so with five subs on the field. No comparison really, not in terms of relative quality. By chance, living in Toronto in both periods has allowed me to see both squads live several times and its night and day as you say. 

I agree with the 86 comparisons...it was so long ago (teenager for me) I also went back and watched the highlights once we qualified again and its not the same as todays result.  Although, if the black and white results end up the same as 86, it will be little comfort that we didnt park the bus, that we played attractive football and were on more level terms with the games elite.  Like the new attitude that herdman has instilled in the players, results matter, getting it done, winning and being ruthless is important, no more politely taking an L and being happy with it.  Getting a goal, getting a result, the guys need to get tangible results...I'd hope to hell it be now than have to wait until 2026.  

I haven't had a chance to read through this thread, so apologies if what I'm about to say has been mentioned already. 

Belgium were extremely poor in this game. But they got a chance and they finished it. 

Canada, in my view, looked nervous and that led to some wayward passing, a missed penalty and good chances being wasted. It's a much better result than I expected, but we cannot afford to shoot 22 times and only get three on goal.

Belgium punished us yesterday. Uruguay, even with their lack of possession and chances, punished as well in September. It's what the best teams do, and punishing us on the counter is becoming a trend.

Have we looked dangerous against top opposition? Yes, but Morocco / Croatia are good teams. We have to remain composed and convert against them to get six points. It is possible, but we desperately need better finishing. 

So, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought it was an average performance from us that featured multiple attempts -- albeit off-target. 

Edit: Just to add, I watched the TSN broadcast. It's nice that the panel were impressed with Canada's performance. Maybe the larger platform is helping to create more support for the team, but Canada have the quality to play even better. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

4 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Jermaine Jenas. 

Despite having played in North London, Jenas is an okay co-commentator.  Not super exciting and seemingly everywhere but okay.  

He was at least getting names right.  Wilson the commentator had Liam Milla/er playing defence for us for a bit and I think I caught a "Davis" for Davies in there once.

Jenas said Laryea's name "right" and Wilson didn't before half, that I remember.

7 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I found the UK commentators really liked Herdman, but it's for obvious reasons, he is a fellow Brit.

Not sure that would give any huge pass. Lots of Brits around in the football world.  His is an unique story, that is always going to garner interest/support if he is doing okay.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

What kind of viewership number did this match get? Had to be in millions at least. I know people that don't normally watch the CMNT were tuning in. 

We will find out today or tomorrow.

Yes, it'll be in the millions.

9 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

Did anyone see Vincent Kompany on the UK feed of the match?

He had no respect for Canada, he thought this game was going to be like Spain-Costa Rica.

Even the other analysts were saying it's the high pressure which were causing the turnovers, but he wouldn't give Canada any credit.

I don't know about that.  I thought he was more depressed about Belgium than anything else.  I thought Lineker wasn't as high on or as knowledgeable about Canada as Scott and Ferdinand.  I thought Scott was the best of the lot for insight.

38 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Most of the media I've seen has been very sympathetic towards Canada.  I hope the team can use that as  bulletin board fodder because this has shades of 1986 all over it.  Hope not.

Even if we lose all of our games again, we've already gone toe-to-toe with an opponent, which eclipses what I've seen and read of 1986.

I don't think we'll go goal-less or pointless, but I doubt we advance from the group. Is that a failure?

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Even if we lose all of our games again, we've already gone toe-to-toe with an opponent, which eclipses what I've seen and read of 1986.

I don't think we'll go goal-less or pointless, but I doubt we advance from the group. Is that a failure?

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I feel like it has already been a success. 

I was a bit worried it might look like Forge away in Azteca in CCL.

But we went toe to toe against the world #2 and outplayed them.

People are seriously and legitimately talking about what we need to do to advance out of the group stage!

48 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't know about that.  I thought he was more depressed about Belgium than anything else.  I thought Lineker wasn't as high on or as knowledgeable about Canada as Scott and Ferdinand.  I thought Scott was the best of the lot for insight.

I know he's not the most objective analyst for this game, but where I thought he was being disrespectful is that he kept comparing this match to Spain-Costa Rica.

Costa Rica was very lucky to qualify for the World Cup, Canada won qualifying. As I said before US & Mexico are always competitive at the World Cup. There was no doubt in my mind that this game was going to be competitive.

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I feel like it has already been a success. 

I was a bit worried it might look like Forge away in Azteca in CCL.

But we went toe to toe against the world #2 and outplayed them.

People are seriously and legitimately talking about what we need to do to advance out of the group stage!

I think we need a goal and a point to deem it a success.  A win would be A+, advancing out of the group would be a homerun.

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think we gave France all they could handle back in the day but a different type of competitiveness to be sure.  At the end of the day both are still 1-0 losses and that is pretty much the same to me.

Toller Cranston once said that Canadians in sport were glorious losers.  Someone would come from 12th place to ... alas finish 4th.  He was right back then but since Vancouver 2010 that attitude as changed,

I take no solace from a glorious loss anymore, most of the kids here are too young to remember those days but I do.  I don't want to be happy with top ten finishes as an expectation and I don't think Herdman does either.  He knows that was an opportunity lost, I honestly believe he wasn't happy with that, you can't be to move forward.

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

In Australia, we had Peter Drury, who's the best in the business, and another guy doing the commentary. They were effusive in their praise for Canada throughout the game and singled out Herdman's influence more than once.

He’s the best in the business and my dream for this program was to have him call one of our games. Bummer we had to use the TSN guys and not the international feed