General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

50 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

I get the league is all about selling the sizzle with this potential deal, which really seems to be as much about propping up the AppleTV deal worldwide as the league itself.

Since (as opposed to Beckham who was a good spokesman for the league) Messi seems media shy and doesn't even speak english. Combine that with Inter Miami not being very good right now, and the extra wear & tear from games on turf and all the travel in this league, I think he ultimately underperforms competitively and statistically.

This has been in the works for years long before the Apple TV emerged and a key demographic that MLS has always wanted to attract is Spanish speaking Mexican-Americans. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Messi will have a big effect on bringing mexican american fans to apple??  

I went to a Napoli Barcelona friendly at the Big House in Michigan a few years ago, the amount of Mexican Americans I saw that were at the stadium and tailgating before the game was unreal . The vast majority of the Mexican fans with Messi jerseys was crazy. So yes they are big fans of him , so I can see that angle on wanting Messi here for Apple makes sense .

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

He might do the same as Drogba - refusing to play on turf. Tough luck for Vancouver!

Also, even if this is Messi - hard to believe that there will be an avalanche of Apple TV subscriptions worldwide just because of Messi. I don't doubt that it will in the US though.

Zlatan, Beckham, Lampard , Pirlo all played on turf. Henry and Drogba did not. We'll see.

Lots of the world doesn't necessarily follow one team, they follow one player. I actually think this might be the opposite of you: it doesn't move Apple subscriptions in the US that much, but it does move them more world wide (temporarily).

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Zlatan, Beckham, Lampard , Pirlo all played on turf. Henry and Drogba did not. We'll see.

Lots of the world doesn't necessarily follow one team, they follow one player. I actually think this might be the opposite of you: it doesn't move Apple subscriptions in the US that much, but it does move them more world wide (temporarily).

Following the player and paying a subscription to Apple TV to get the rest of the MLS games is 2 widely different things.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Away from a tiny handful of complete cranks on here I wonder how many people will be trying to spin Messi moving to Miami as a negative for MLS and Apple? He recently turned in a stellar performance winning the World Cup so it's not like he's in washed up hasbeen mode.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Following the player and paying a subscription to Apple TV to get the rest of the MLS games is 2 widely different things.

But they wouldn't be paying a subscription to Apple to watch the rest of MLS. They'd be paying it to watch Messi.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Away from a tiny handful of complete cranks on here I wonder how many people will be trying to spin Messi moving to Miami as a negative for MLS and Apple? He recently turned in a stellar performance winning the World Cup so it's not like he's in washed up hasbeen mode.

I'm sure many bank accounts will grow as a result of this move. Does it make a mid-season Vancouver vs San Jose match any more interesting? Not for me, or likely anyone else.

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

Hilarious if this falls through because Miami calculated their Gaber bucks incorrectly and he ends up in Kansas City.

It would be great if Miami brought him in for a few games then flipped him for draft picks with some buttfuck nowhere team like RSL.

9 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

I get the league is all about selling the sizzle with this potential deal, which really seems to be as much about propping up the AppleTV deal worldwide as the league itself.

Since (as opposed to Beckham who was a good spokesman for the league) Messi seems media shy and doesn't even speak english. Combine that with Inter Miami not being very good right now, and the extra wear & tear from games on turf and all the travel in this league, I think he ultimately underperforms competitively and statistically.

Messi signing with MLS = Beckham signing with MLS x 1000. This is the probably the most significant event in the league's history. 

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

He might do the same as Drogba - refusing to play on turf. Tough luck for Vancouver!

Also, even if this is Messi - hard to believe that there will be an avalanche of Apple TV subscriptions worldwide just because of Messi. I don't doubt that it will in the US though.

Apple subscriptions are one thing but you can definitely bank on a bunch of non-streaming, traditional TV deals to come in.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

It would be great if Miami brought him in for a few games then flipped him for draft picks with some buttfuck nowhere team like RSL.

You think his contract would allow for such a thing to happen?

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I'm sure many bank accounts will grow as a result of this move. Does it make a mid-season Vancouver vs San Jose match any more interesting? Not for me, or likely anyone else.

It doesn't but expect massive media deals and sponsorships to come considering arguably the best player in the world who just won the World Cup is going to sign with the league. The American Eurosnob who doesn't want MLS will now watch Inter Miami, the Mexican American who watches Liga MX will now watch Inter Miami.  

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

But they wouldn't be paying a subscription to Apple to watch the rest of MLS. They'd be paying it to watch Messi.

That's Apple's bet, we'll see but I have doubts. Not many Europeans are rushing to follow Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia and other big names have came to MLS before, didn't changed the perception from over there.

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

If ticket prices are an indication then this is going to have an impact.  You can watch Tfc vs Orlando for $30 in great seats. Any tickets involving Inter Miami on TM are around $350-500 now. They also stopped selling Miami home games after his expected arrival.

Most likely due to the fact they're moving to the Dolphins home stadium.