General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

Ronaldo is wrong at this point.

Opta did a MLS vs Saudi Pro League compare as of August 4. where MLS average power rating is 73.2 while SPL gets 70. 3/4 top clubs are from SPL but 13/14 of the lowest ranked clubs are also from the SPL (TFC is only MLS team of the 14). This places MLS 29th in the world while SPL is 36th.

Opta's top 5 leagues are in order the Prem, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A & Ligue 1. For Corbeanu & Millar followers, they rank Swiss league #7 largely because it is only a 12 club league which on average is ranked higher than the 18 clubs of Portugal or Netherlands. Only non-UEFA league in top 10 is from Brazil.

Based on top 10 teams only, it is in order the Prem, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga & Ligue 1. Liga MX makes the top 10 at #10. Here Eredivisie is ranked #6 and Primeira is #7 while the Swiss league drops to #12.

Only non-UEFA clubs in top 100 are Palmeiras at #61. River Plate at #80, Flamengo at #85.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/the-strongest-leagues-in-world-football-opta-power-rankings/

MLSvSPL.jpg

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

Opta did a MLS vs Saudi Pro League compare as of August 4. where MLS average power rating is 73.2 while SPL gets 70. 3/4 top clubs are from SPL but 13/14 of the lowest ranked clubs are also from the SPL (TFC is only MLS team of the 14). This places MLS 29th in the world while SPL is 36th.

Opta's top 5 leagues are in order the Prem, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A & Ligue 1. For Corbeanu & Millar followers, they rank Swiss league #7 largely because it is only a 12 club league which on average is ranked higher than the 18 clubs of Portugal or Netherlands. Only non-UEFA league in top 10 is from Brazil.

Based on top 10 teams only, it is in order the Prem, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga & Ligue 1. Liga MX makes the top 10 at #10. Here Eredivisie is ranked #6 and Primeira is #7 while the Swiss league drops to #12.

Only non-UEFA clubs in top 100 are Palmeiras at #61. River Plate at #80, Flamengo at #85.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/the-strongest-leagues-in-world-football-opta-power-rankings/

MLSvSPL.jpg

Wow, lots on interesting talking points here!  Great share! 

Confirms a few assumptions I had regarding La Liga and Liga MX.  And, if we want to base ourselves on this exercise, it also ends the Championship Vs MLS discussion pretty quick.  

Edited by costarg

22 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I mean the salary cap was going to be 6.4 mil next year but imo it needs to be at around 15 mil for the league to really kick off and push itself into the realm of the Eredivisie, Liga Portugal and even Ligue 1. Adding another DP spot is not it...but it'll keep the wealthier clubs happy (and Messi).

Agreed but with TAM/GAM taken into consideration, it does take the salary range close to 15 million but like you mentioned, they need to go higher. MLS has to strike while the iron is hot to retain all these eye balls post Messi and the way to do that is by dramatically increasing the quality of the overall product while said new fans are watching Messi.

Edited by Macksam

7 hours ago, red card said:

MLSvSPL.jpg

I found this really interesting.  And was surprised the MLS is so low tbh.  I thought it would at least be in the 10 to 15 range.  On the European leagues, I have new found respect for the swiss league as while I get the point of ranking the top 10 sides, the reality is more about who you are playing week in week out.  It makes me think that playing in the Belgian and Swiss league is much better for our players overall compared to the Dutch or Portuguese league unless perhaps you are with one of the top 3 sides in each of those leagues and getting consistent European football to supplement playing against a raft of relativley poor sides/easy oppontents during the league.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, Big_M said:

This is the result of not getting rid of Fountas the first time it happened last year...there has to be deep research and checks on players before bringing them in...

Two D.C. United Players Placed on Administrative Leave

Mutual termination...allegation were deemed credible but couldnt be independently verified so probably hard for dc to terminate it on their own...

DC United, Taxi Fountas mutually terminate contract

On 8/10/2023 at 6:47 PM, saladroit said:

subs were apparently nearing the 1 million mark before messi even arrived, based on this mas tweet i assume season pass is currently sitting around 2 million subs

US tv ratings also show much more interest in Spanish than English language. Spanish language average tv numbers so far are higher than MLS but lower than liga MX. English numbers are way below MLS.

804k Univision
533k UniMas
226k TUDN
60k FS1 (approximated since half the matches rated too low to be measured)

Compared to women's World Cup, similar story as Leagues Cup outperforms in Spanish but not in English.

Non-USWNT Avg
527k FOX
355k Telmundo
274k FS1

USWNT Only Avg
3.9m FOX
717k Telmundo

Edited by red card

23 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Just received my Whitecaps season ticket renewal. Apple+ is being listed as a free benefit again next year.

And I am guessing that's the only way you will get to see Messi in 2024.  I will get to watch him this fall on TSN vs TFC, however. 

Wow. Miami dismantling Philadelphia.  3-0 at the half.  Messi and Alba have 1.  Pretty sure when Manning was playing FIFA 23 as TFC with Insigne and Bernadeschi in the squad this was happening.  Too bad it hasn’t translated in the least to the onfield product.  How Manning is still employed is beyond me. I’m not even sure some results and a half decent coach hire should save his job.  

17 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Wow. Miami dismantling Philadelphia.  3-0 at the half.  Messi and Alba have 1. 

Listening to MLS Extra yesterday, they thought Philly would finally be the one to contain Messi and co. That they played better defense than some of the previous teams he's played and would be able to take advantage of Miami's weakness of defending. Well, I guess not...

52 minutes ago, narduch said:

Had seen a few people say that Miami will make the MLS playoffs a few weeks ago.

I thought they were crazy. But maybe they're right 

Yep.

Right now, it looks like they've built a monster in Miami.  And if they make the playoffs, they will be the favourite to win the MLS cup.

And let's not forget, we're talking about a team that is currently in last place in the league.