General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

9 minutes ago, Big_M said:

hendrickson yeah just didnt coach properly but also the recruiting and play of shaqiri isnt good so not all on him

He has been terrible, for sure, but a couple of their young recruits have been pretty impressive (Jhon "Roberto" Durán and the teenage keeper) and may be on their way to much bigger things.  I particularly liked that young Colombian striker. 

11 minutes ago, red card said:

The lowest payrolled team beat the highest payrolled team twice last week.

TFC are the only team with more than 1 player in Luxury 11.

How-MLS-teams-are-spending-spring-2023@2x-1.png

MLS-3.png

Gawd, anyway you look at this, the numbers are bonkers. 

- TFC has 4 players on the "Luxury 11", no other team has more than 1.

- Insigne makes more than 12 other teams whole roster. 

- The highest paying team is at the bottom of their 15 team conference.

What the hell is happening at MLSE?

There is still an indoor soccer team in San Diego with the name "Sockers", so I expect the new San Diego team will not be going with its old NASL name like a lot of the other West Coast MLS teams.

On the other hand, I guess "San Diego Jaws" (their earlier name) would still be available.

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

There is still an indoor soccer team in San Diego with the name "Sockers", so I expect the new San Diego team will not be going with its old NASL name like a lot of the other West Coast MLS teams.

On the other hand, I guess "San Diego Jaws" (their earlier name) would still be available.

I'm going with a tribute to Maradona..... "The San Diego's" 

Or the karate kid.... "The Diego San's"

Another team to forget exists. MLS is getting too big to follow. I know that the other big sports leagues have over thirty teams, but soccer has other leagues we can follow, those don't. 

As for the name, MLS has gone away from team names like Rapids and Union etc, so I suspect it'll go San Diego SC. 

So saw an article in the Globe and mail that the much loved Micheal Bradley on these boards , again has voluntarily taken a salary cut this season . He was making 1.5 million last season but according to the article in the Globe and Mail has volunteered to cut his salary to around 615000 this season . This is the second time Bradley has volunteered to take a pay cut for the good of the team. Love him or hate him I can’t remember too many other players that voluntarily came forward to take a pay  cut it in any sport . Moreover, regardless of what kind of player he may be now , Bradley was the backbone of TFC’s incredible 2017 championship season .

Edited by SoccMan

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Sure but tell me a pro player in any sport that has done that now twice for their team ?

It helps when you have been massively overpaid the entire time.

And this latest paycut was just a massive favor for his dad.

Even at his paycut salary now he is overpaid compared to other players in the league at his position 

55 minutes ago, narduch said:

It helps when you have been massively overpaid the entire time.

And this latest paycut was just a massive favor for his dad.

Even at his paycut salary now he is overpaid compared to other players in the league at his position 

Again tell me a player who in any sport has taken a pay cut twice like he did? I’ll respect him for that regardless if he was overpaid or not , moreover, like I mentioned before he earned his pay especially in 2017 . 

23 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Again tell me a player who in any sport has taken a pay cut twice like he did? I’ll respect him for that regardless if he was overpaid or not , moreover, like I mentioned before he earned his pay especially in 2017 . 

Again the guy has been massively overpaid since 2014.

He was paid $6 million per year for 6 years when he would have been lucky to get $1 million anywhere else.

It's easier to take a pay cut later when you already banked over $30 million extra.

And don't even get me started in how they signed his last contract without a medical despite the fact he was injured. 

Tom Brady, Jerome Bettis, Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, hell I even think Gretzky took a pay cut for the team.  Also I think that people are forgetting in MLS the team can buy out a contract once a year and get rid of the guy eh?  Its either take a drop in the ridiculous salary or we drop you.  Get lost, get off the books and Daddy can take that cap space and sign a decent CDM AND a CB.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

Tom Brady, Jerome Bettis, Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, hell I even think Gretzky took a pay cut for the team.  Also I think that people are forgetting in MLS the team can buy out a contract once a year and get rid of the guy eh?  Its either take a drop in the ridiculous salary or we drop you.  Get lost, get off the books and Daddy can take that cap space and sign a decent CDM AND a CB.  

His latest paycut was exactly to help his dad because he massively fucked  up the teams cap situation