General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

And I am guessing that's the only way you will get to see Messi in 2024.  I will get to watch him this fall on TSN vs TFC, however. 

Vancouver fans might see Messi play the Whitecaps this fall, too.

In the MLS cup.

Okay, delusional thinking aside, a question:  if Miami plays the Whitecaps at Vancouver next season, would Messi even play on artificial turf?

Just now, Goal_Kick said:

In the MLS cup.

Okay, delusional thinking aside, a question:  if Miami plays the Whitecaps at Vancouver next season, would Messi even play on artificial turf?

For the MLS Cup final? MLS would pay themselves to get real grass into the stadium for just that game not unlike the Real Madrid game against TFC all those years ago when BMO still had artificial turf. 

37 minutes ago, Macksam said:

For the MLS Cup final? MLS would pay themselves to get real grass into the stadium for just that game not unlike the Real Madrid game against TFC all those years ago when BMO still had artificial turf. 

I meant in the regular season.  I'd guess that if the final was to be played in Vancouver, Messi would play, artificial turf or not.

50 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

In the MLS cup.

Haha. Well done

1 hour ago, Goal_Kick said:

In the MLS cup.

Will the MLS Cup be exclusively on Apple+?

16 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

I meant in the regular season.  I'd guess that if the final was to be played in Vancouver, Messi would play, artificial turf or not.

Given all the other owners are said to have contributed to make the signing possibe and the side deals he has with Apple and Adidas I think the answer to that is a no brainer. 

7 hours ago, saladroit said:

i'd also expect mls cup to be available for free on apple TV with no subscription needed, which has been the case for several matches on a weekly basis

I thought when the matches said "free on Apple TV" it meant that the game could be seen by subscribers to Apple TV that don't have a subscription to MLS Season Pass.

Are you saying that these games are free to view for everyone?

25 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

I thought when the matches said "free on Apple TV" it meant that the game could be seen by subscribers to Apple TV that don't have a subscription to MLS Season Pass.

Are you saying that these games are free to view for everyone?

they're free to everyone, no TV+ sub required; just need to sign in with apple ID

On 8/15/2023 at 7:02 PM, Goal_Kick said:

Well, I guess this answers my question.  From an interview Messi gave today:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/messi/lionel-messi-at-home-in-miami-the-place-i-chose-to-come-to

Messi maintained that he’s trained his full focus on leading IMCF, who first took the field just three years ago, to the greatness that many expect from them. That seemingly includes playing on artificial turf, despite suggestions that Messi might avoid the surface when the Herons visit conference counterparts Atlanta and Charlotte in September and October.

“The truth is I played on artificial turf during my entire youth career, I played on that pitch all my life,” he said. “It’s true that a lot of time has passed since I played on artificial turf, but I have no problem in adapting myself again.”

• 2 weeks later...

Antenna analytics which uses uses third-party services that collect US online purchase receipts, bills and banking records put out data on MLS Season Pass paid sign-ups.

110k signed up on Messi's debut which was 280% more than the first day of the season. Second Messi match had over 50k in signups.

15% of signups were in February. 46% of signups were in July. Almost half who signed up were existing Apple TV+ subs.

Just over 25k signed on season day 1. Over 50k signed up in first week of March. April to June had much lower numbers. So, Antenna's numbers say around 500k paid signups in the US as of end of July.

https://www.wsj.com/business/media/messi-apple-mls-subscriptions-inter-miami-ee777c26

https://www.antenna.live/post/the-messi-effect

Screenshot 2023-09-05 102330.jpg

22 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

What is the rate right now for signing on with Apple+/MLS Pass?  I can see consumers subscribing if now for the playoff stretch run if their team is in the hunt.

I believe they offered it in about July for 50% off for the remainder of the season. So probably around the time those numbers spiked as well.

23 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I believe they offered it in about July for 50% off for the remainder of the season. So probably around the time those numbers spiked as well.

I wonder if that sliding scale stops at regular season end and then an increase happens for the playoffs?

23 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I wonder if that sliding scale stops at regular season end and then an increase happens for the playoffs?

I think they could just leave it as is: 50% for the remainder of the season. I don't think you want to adjust it down further, as you don't want to encourage people to hold out to much for a better deal.

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

What is the rate right now for signing on with Apple+/MLS Pass?  I can see consumers subscribing if now for the playoff stretch run if their team is in the hunt.

It's been dropped to US$29 for the rest of the season and playoffs.

This is about auto-renewing for next season as there is always a chunk of people who don't keep track of their subscriptions. Though, when done with Apple ID, it is easily available under iPhone Settings/Your Name.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/tv/apple-lowers-mls-season-pass-price-to-29-for-the-rest-of-2023-20230901-WST-453560.html

Edited by red card

So, what did Arena say that was so bad he had to quit?  BBC only describes it as "insensitive and inappropriate" but that could be any number of things that are not that bad, and much fewer that are really, really bad as well as all spots in between.  Did he say something once, or was it repeatedly? 

I hate these types of things because we never know and it leaves people to fill in the blanks in a way that suits your own narrative.