General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

14 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So saw an article in the Globe and mail that the much loved Micheal Bradley on these boards , again has voluntarily taken a salary cut this season . He was making 1.5 million last season but according to the article in the Globe and Mail has volunteered to cut his salary to around 615000 this season . This is the second time Bradley has volunteered to take a pay cut for the good of the team. Love him or hate him I can’t remember too many other players that voluntarily came forward to take a pay  cut it in any sport . Moreover, regardless of what kind of player he may be now , Bradley was the backbone of TFC’s incredible 2017 championship season .

Firstly, I hate when we use the word hate! 

I'm a pretty harsh critic of MB, but I do not hate him, I don't even dislike the guy, there is nothing personal about it.  When we speak of MB it's purely in a sporting sense and what he brings to TFC.  Do I feel TFC is better with him in the 11? No.  Do I feel TFC is better with him in the 18?  Possibly in some situations, but definitely not at $600k.  The bigger issue is when looking at the big picture with his daddy as coach, I feel it's just a terrible scenario for TFC, the players and fans. Its incredibly minor league and reeks of bad judgement and management.

Lots of older athletes in several different leagues have taken pay-cuts to help out their teams.  Still a large minority, but not all that rare for senior players on long-term clubs.  Just shows that MB realizes he's not "worth" his previous salary and he'd be severely hurting TFC at $1.5m.  It'd just be that more obvious that he was the issue, and would be talked about a lot more, hurting himself in the process. 

What MB did in 2017 is pointless today.  Athletes age, you don't keep them in the 11 for sentimental reasons. 

NY Post sports media writer take on MLS/Apple deal so far:

Apple TV+ has not released any subscriber numbers for its new MLS package, but I keep hearing that it is not going well. While currently offering a free trial month could mean a lot of things, it doesn’t feel like a positive. For example, if YouTube somehow offered some discounted promotion a quarter of the way through its inaugural NFL Sunday Ticket season, what would be the reaction? On Saturday, Apple put its Red Zone show on YouTube for free. The decision coincides with its “rivalry week,” which it could argue is a way to entice on-the-fence fans. But it feels like MLS is more irrelevant in the soccer conversation. It is the first year of a decade-long deal, but you wonder if an opt-out is used at some point.

Meanwhile in Fort Lauderdale...

5 hours ago, red card said:

NY Post sports media writer take on MLS/Apple deal so far:

Apple TV+ has not released any subscriber numbers for its new MLS package, but I keep hearing that it is not going well. While currently offering a free trial month could mean a lot of things, it doesn’t feel like a positive. For example, if YouTube somehow offered some discounted promotion a quarter of the way through its inaugural NFL Sunday Ticket season, what would be the reaction? On Saturday, Apple put its Red Zone show on YouTube for free. The decision coincides with its “rivalry week,” which it could argue is a way to entice on-the-fence fans. But it feels like MLS is more irrelevant in the soccer conversation. It is the first year of a decade-long deal, but you wonder if an opt-out is used at some point.

This league isn't good enough to run on a broadcasting deal where you need to have an extra subscription to watch 6 out of 10 games of your favourite team.   Just like CPL needs (and has been argued for in that forum), it needs consistent broad exposure that's not extra-subscription based.  All you are doing is creating blackout situations for non-season ticket holders:  that coercision isn't working.

With the NFL, if you are a Seattle Seahawks fan and you live in the Pacific Northwest major broadcast area (including BC), you can see them play almost every week, without an extra subscription fee, on one of those networks:  that's the default regional broadcast.  NFL Sunday Ticket is for the likes of compulsive gamblers or fans of a team not based in the region where you live (i.e. a Steelers fan living in Seattle).  It's Economics 101:  for a product in huge demand, people will pay.  MLS as a stand alone league in an extra subscription fee app?  Well, it seems like more are spending their sports viewing money on other things instead.

I am betting on "opt out" kicking in here.

16 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

This league isn't good enough to run on a broadcasting deal where you need to have an extra subscription to watch 6 out of 10 games of your favourite team.   Just like CPL needs (and has been argued for in that forum), it needs consistent broad exposure that's not extra-subscription based.  All you are doing is creating blackout situations for non-season ticket holders:  that coercision isn't working.

With the NFL, if you are a Seattle Seahawks fan and you live in the Pacific Northwest major broadcast area (including BC), you can see them play almost every week, without an extra subscription fee, on one of those networks:  that's the default regional broadcast.  NFL Sunday Ticket is for the likes of compulsive gamblers or fans of a team not based in the region where you live (i.e. a Steelers fan living in Seattle).  It's Economics 101:  for a product in huge demand, people will pay.  MLS as a stand alone league in an extra subscription fee app?  Well, it seems like more are spending their sports viewing money on other things instead.

I am betting on "opt out" kicking in here.

If they don't opt out, there's two other directions to go: bundle MLS in to the regular Apple TV subscription (which I've heard a few people say would entice them, and they're currently not subscribed to either) or find another league to add. But as it stands, it's looking like a bad deal for everyone: Apple, MLS, and the fans.

On 5/17/2023 at 7:28 AM, costarg said:

I thought he was at $14m/year, but can be mistaken.

Minor follow up to this.  Reading through the Athletic article on the mess at TFC, it seems that half is salary and half is a "marketing deal", and his reps are were upset the full amount wasn't listed as his "salary" on the salary release.

8 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

My beef with apple tv is that most of the games are on at the same time. Why would I pay a subscription fee to watch the entire league in order to watch one or two games a week? If games were on at different times/days, then I would consider getting a subscription.

Agree, the Sunday night games were fun.

MLS Season Pass is now 50% less at US$49 to see the rest of 2023 matches.

Apple Services SVP said that MLS Season Pass had exceeded its own expectations and doing “much better than forecasted” in terms of both subscription and viewership numbers.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/06/01/mls-season-pass-price-drop-for-midseason/

Update: All matches on June 3 are now free to watch.

Edited by red card

guess some saw it coming

On 5/31/2023 at 11:07 PM, Big_M said:

miami loses at home vs red bulls and now has 15 points in 15 games in nevilles third season...lots of calls for him to be removed...as usual he subs in his defender son when the team needs a goal late...and tonight it got ugly as fans booed him...was this phil nevilles last game heading miami??

On 6/1/2023 at 3:52 PM, red card said:

MLS Season Pass is now 50% less at US$49 to see the rest of 2023 matches.

Apple Services SVP said that MLS Season Pass had exceeded its own expectations and doing “much better than forecasted” in terms of both subscription and viewership numbers.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/06/01/mls-season-pass-price-drop-for-midseason/

Update: All matches on June 3 are now free to watch.

I just asked about this on the other MLS thread.

If your favourite team is looking good at this point in the season, you might see a bump in subscriptions.

I get the league is all about selling the sizzle with this potential deal, which really seems to be as much about propping up the AppleTV deal worldwide as the league itself.

Since (as opposed to Beckham who was a good spokesman for the league) Messi seems media shy and doesn't even speak english. Combine that with Inter Miami not being very good right now, and the extra wear & tear from games on turf and all the travel in this league, I think he ultimately underperforms competitively and statistically.

Edited by Acid-Tone

44 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

I get the league is all about selling the sizzle with this potential deal, which really seems to be as much about propping up the AppleTV deal worldwide as the league itself.

Since (as opposed to Beckham who was a good spokesman for the league) Messi seems media shy and doesn't even speak english. Combine that with Inter Miami not being very good right now, and the extra were & tear from games on turf and all the travel in this league, I think he ultimately underperforms competitively and statistically.

He might do the same as Drogba - refusing to play on turf. Tough luck for Vancouver!

Also, even if this is Messi - hard to believe that there will be an avalanche of Apple TV subscriptions worldwide just because of Messi. I don't doubt that it will in the US though.