Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

On 11/8/2022 at 12:59 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

All of this is done within what I assume is standard salary scaling in CPL. If they chose to spend 800 grand on 24 players, it could look like this

3 for 200k

7 for the next 300k

8 for the next 200k

The final 100k for 6-7 players.

Except isn't there now a $30 k minimum?  So you'd need more for the bottom guys and therefore less for the top guys?

14 hours ago, Kingston said:

Except isn't there now a $30 k minimum?  So you'd need more for the bottom guys and therefore less for the top guys?

Details to bear in mind are that the three developmental contracts (i.e. 21-23 on the roster) can probably still be under the minimum, and part of the salary cap hit for a player can go on stuff like housing as well as on the salary.

CPL Developmental contracts as of April 2022:  https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/#1650986562095-dea1c5a7-9f80

Highlights:

The purpose of the Development Permit is to provide an amateur player the opportunity to be included in a professional club’s roster without losing the ability to train and play with the club who holds his registration. All Players must be U18 (born January 1st, 2004, or later) to be eligible to sign a Developmental Permit in the CPL.

A CPL Club may have up to four (4) players at any one time

These Players will not count towards each CPL Clubs Primary Roster (23-man squad signed to SPC).

The Developmental Permit allows for the Player to appear in a total of three (3) games with the CPL Club 

In any one calendar year, a Player may receive a maximum of two (2) Developmental Permits.

Players who have been granted a Development Permit are still eligible to play games for their current Club.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was hoping you could toodle over to Langley Events Centre again, on snowshoes if need be, and tell us how things are coming along...

I cruised past last week. The two sidelines and the south end are completely ripped up and look to be awaiting the grandstands to arrive. There were a couple guys doing g some light work. The interesting thing for me is the North end. The fence is right up against the touch line and there is a hill behind the goal. Not sure what they'll do there

Edited by SpursFlu

9 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I cruised past last week. The two sidelines and the south end are completely ripped up and look to be awaiting the grandstands to arrive. There were a couple guys doing g some light work. The interesting thing for me is the North end. The fence is right up against the touch line and there is a hill behind the goal. Not sure what they'll do there

I don't think they'll touch the knoll. Unless they do something unsightly like at Spruce Meadows. All of Canadian soccer can screw off with its beer gardens and parkland viewing. The south end could have a small set of stands if they eliminate that narrow parking strip. 

One reason they kept the length was because of rugby there.