Jump to content

Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread


Big_M
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think they'll touch the knoll. Unless they do something unsightly like at Spruce Meadows. All of Canadian soccer can screw off with its beer gardens and parkland viewing. The south end could have a small set of stands if they eliminate that narrow parking strip. 

One reason they kept the length was because of rugby there.

I dont think they'll touch it but will it be part of the stadium configuration? Probably not because there is a public playground and a small auditorium type set up. So do you cover the fence with banners? If you don't do something a couple hundred people could have best seat in the house and watch for free

You basically have a public park 20 yards from the goal. Kinda strange 

And just to be clear in the North end area that has been ripped up seems to be what use to be part of a parking lot. I'd think they're putting a small stands or a beer garden type area there 

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I dont think they'll touch it but will it be part of the stadium configuration? Probably not because there is a public playground and a small auditorium type set up. So do you cover the fence with banners? If you don't do something a couple hundred people could have best seat in the house and watch for free

You basically have a public park 20 yards from the goal. Kinda strange 

And just to be clear in the North end area that has been ripped up seems to be what use to be part of a parking lot. I'd think they're putting a small stands or a beer garden type area there 

You mean South end? The grassy knoll is on the north side, or maybe I am missing something.

It makes sense for most accesses to be on the South end, for both stands, as there are not as many natural entrance points on the North precisely because of the hill and park areas, as you say. Enter driving from the south end too. I guess you could access the north end of the east stand from the rest of LEC, just because, as well many people will be parking over there.

Only little detail is that the changing rooms are on the south-east corner, so players would go through the space there, which is also where you'd expect fans would be moving. I hope they get the configuration right. 

Overall, it should be fairly easy to close off except for what you are describing, the hill. Which would have to be included in the closure.

Things finally thawing in Van?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You mean South end? The grassy knoll is on the north side, or maybe I am missing something.

It makes sense for most accesses to be on the South end, for both stands, as there are not as many natural entrance points on the North precisely because of the hill and park areas, as you say. Enter driving from the south end too. I guess you could access the north end of the east stand from the rest of LEC, just because, as well many people will be parking over there.

Only little detail is that the changing rooms are on the south-east corner, so players would go through the space there, which is also where you'd expect fans would be moving. I hope they get the configuration right. 

Overall, it should be fairly easy to close off except for what you are describing, the hill. Which would have to be included in the closure.

Things finally thawing in Van?

Yah my bad. I meant South end. It will be interesting to see how it configs. The interesting thing is one day ot will just be there. At least thats my understanding. Pouring rain now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2022 at 10:44 PM, K Edgar said:

Are they charging? How much? I may do a fake application to see if I can get to the next page.

When they did the CPL tryouts they wasted a lot of time on fitness standards, as I see it, because they feel insecure about watching players play. I realise you may want to weed guys out, but you have to give a player enough time to show what he can do. A training session without the ball, then 11x11s, I even doubt that is useful. You could do 7x7s, give players more time playing and with more touches, and still have your basic positional areas covered. Keepers will get shots, strikers will get balls 20 m from goal, etc. 

Then you could move to 11x11, which is really only good for tactical and positional play, since likely they are going to get 30 minutes each or something.

I have seen these done and in general I find them useless. There is always a flashy dribbler who gets lucky enough to have a weak mid defending him and he looks hot--that guy!! A guy scores a flashy goal, you look at him, another scores on a smart play without having to be flashy, gets ignored. They bias towards physicality.

Then if they are charging, it becomes a bit of a scam. Open trials. They have very limited value in sourcing players, though they build a bit of hype for the team, no doubt.

Maybe I am wrong: how many guys went through the CPL trials and ended up signed? How many of those guys are still in the CPL?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I would like to know where the trial will be and then watch it. There are good turf fields at the LEC. Hopefully they are not way out at UBC.

The website says in the shadow of or near the place they'll play, so given the Langley Events Centre has a few fields, I suppose they'll be out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Looks like nothing new in the last few months. More substantial road salt pile than anything else.

If the stadium is going to be modular, you'd only see a concrete slab on site up until the pre-fab stands are plonked into place, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If the stadium is going to be modular, you'd only see a concrete slab on site up until the pre-fab stands are plonked into place, no?

I think it totally depends on the design. And structural studies. Plus access, safety regulations. From what I saw, those are not concrete slabs around the pitch, it is asphalt, as if parking lot material, so they may have to redo the foundation.

If they are smart, with so much parking behind the incoming west stand, they'll ensure an access on that side. Let those fans have their entire game experience on that side. Ditto with the east stand and those fans, only that, as I said, with the fieldhouse with changing rooms on the south-east corner and in close, they'll have to find a solution to block fans when teams and refs are moving through.

What did we hear, that Friend and co had set up a company to market modular stands in Canada, imported from China mostly? If they don't get VFC right, then it will fail. It has to be the stadium that showcases the concept for the business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...