Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

Went on their website to see if there were any more details about the stadium and it looks like they are still only taking season ticket deposits:

https://www.showpass.com/vancouver-football-club-season-ticket-deposit/

which suggests there is no fixed stadium seating plan available yet.

Not sure what to make of that given it's only three months out now but maybe it points to this being more of a rush job than they have let on because Edmonton were expected to hang around under new ownership. If so, Langley may have been expected to be #9 a year or two later entering with Saskatoon or whoever as #10 to keep numbers even and avoid bye weeks.

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Went on their website to see if there were any more details about the stadium and it looks like they are still only taking season ticket deposits:

https://www.showpass.com/vancouver-football-club-season-ticket-deposit/

which suggests there is no fixed stadium seating plan available yet.

Not sure what to make of that given it's only three months out now but maybe it points to this being more of a rush job than they have let on because Edmonton were expected to hang around under new ownership. If so, Langley may have been expected to be #9 a year or two later entering with Saskatoon or whoever as #10 to keep numbers even and avoid bye weeks.

I don't think there is any basis to think that. More like:

-the city approved the project and committed the field. So they felt it was the moment to move.

-they did Pacific fast and Friend thought he could do the same with Vancouver FC. But he's underestimated the question of the stands/stadium, since at Pacific they had the core of the stadium in place for the first season.

-there may be delays with the modular system they are buying in China.

-That purchase is tied in with the announced plan to be the reps for this product in Canada, that they want to use their stadium to showcase the product for other sales. If they do something half-ass, they lose their business opportunity.

I personally suspect that Friend and co are simply not that competent for questions not related to what is happening on the pitch. They had their hands held by the mayor and city hall in Langford and now it may not the case. I also feel that they were not very in the know with the whole stadium question, since the additions at Langford had embarrassing design flaws they did not even notice. 

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

-there may be delays with the modular system they are buying in China.

-That purchase is tied in with the announced plan to be the reps for this product in Canada, that they want to use their stadium to showcase the product for other sales. If they do something half-ass, they lose their business opportunity.

I could see this, with possible ramifications for Kelowna CPL.

39 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I could see this, with possible ramifications for Kelowna CPL.

Maybe it's like buying runners at Sport Chek

Waiting until February because all month its buy 1 modular stadium get the 2nd 50% off

Edited by SpursFlu

The stadium looks to be a long way away.  At present they haven't even poured any concrete.  That said, maybe it all clicks together in a few days once the pad is ready so it's no big deal? 

Personally, I'm anxious to know about some ticketing.  Looking at Pacific, their cheapest season ticket is $280. For 14 home games, that's $20 a match which frankly doesn't seem reasonable given that season tickets should be at a discount. Am I wrong here?  Does that mean that the worst seat goes for $25-$30 as a single ticket?

Either way, if VFC is going to run up their prices similarly, then I wonder if they're going to price themselves out a little bit?  

Or maybe I'm just cheap, 😂

Edited by RJB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

The stadium looks to be a long way away.  At present they haven't even poured any concrete.  That said, maybe it all clicks together in a few days once the pad is ready so it's no big deal? 

Personally, I'm anxious to know about some ticketing.  Looking at Pacific, their cheapest season ticket is $280. For 14 home games, that's $20 a match which frankly doesn't seem reasonable given that season tickets should be at a discount. Am I wrong here?  Does that mean that the worst seat goes for $25-$30 as a single ticket?

Either way, if VFC is going to run up their prices similarly, then I wonder if they're going to price themselves out a little bit?  

Or maybe I'm just cheap, 😂

It probably includes at least some cup or continental matches as well

$20 seems good to me. A friend of mine who is very anti Bob Young (to the point of attempting to never step foot in THF) said he may not be going to TFC games anymore due to price increases. My seats works out to be $30 a game but to purchase a single seat,day of, in my section is around $40. 

I'm not judging anyone's financial situation but if $20 is considered too much then times must be tough. What the hell does 20 bucks get you nowadays?

If I consider my Whitecaps tickets the cost of tickets is really nothing when you compare to other live entertainment. It's the FB options at the stadium which are completely insane 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not judging anyone's financial situation but if $20 is considered too much then times must be tough. What the hell does 20 bucks get you nowadays?

If I consider my Whitecaps tickets the cost of tickets is really nothing when you compare to other live entertainment. It's the FB options at the stadium which are completely insane 

I take your point, but I'm more looking at it from the perspective of it being the 'worst' seat, and is at a discount. Fair that it's probably worth it in the big picture, but may not get the walk up crowd, especially when there's a theatre just a little further down the road.  

I think that ultimately people have less disposable income these days, and there is more competition for their money. So, it either needs to be a really great product or be really great value.  Sports is the best chance for both - or neither - depending on the game. 

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not judging anyone's financial situation but if $20 is considered too much then times must be tough. What the hell does 20 bucks get you nowadays? ... 

Once a family is involved that starts to mount up. Went to see the new Avatar movie just after Christmas for $12 or so in London, Ont. Should a CanPL soccer game realistically be costing a lot more to do than that?