General World Cup News/Discussion

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

No opening ceremony on the BBC and every reporter prefaces their bit with with a perfunctory nod to the controversy and then goes on with their football talk.

Wonderfully hypocritical.

There was coverage on the BBC Red Button no commentary then build up with audio from BBC Radio 5 Live.

1 minute ago, N-A said:

There was coverage on the BBC Red Button no commentary then build up with audio from BBC Radio 5 Live.

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

No opening ceremony on the BBC and every reporter prefaces their bit with with a perfunctory nod to the controversy and then goes on with their football talk.

Wonderfully hypocritical.

Yup so very true !

I'm no fan of the culture over there but the media's totally going overboard. There is nothing here we shouldn't already know

They do realize it's a 2 way street and in 4 years the eastern media will have endless stories about drug addicts littering the streets and people giving 10 year olds puberty blockers. They're just going to make us look like lunatics as well 

Can we stop with the outrage culture for a few weeks. And just enjoy ourselves for a few weeks

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm no fan of the culture over there but the media's totally going overboard. There is nothing here we shouldn't already know

They do realize it's a 2 way street and in 4 years the eastern media will have endless stories about drug addicts littering the streets and people giving 10 year olds puberty blockers. They're just going to make us look like lunatics as well 

Can we stop with the outrage culture for a few weeks. And just enjoy ourselves for a few weeks

This isn't what I'd choose to highlight if I'm looking to be critical of the 2026 hosts (USA's century of murderous imperialism would probably be the first item on my list and theirs) but I do agree there is an element of hypocrisy here. Doesn't mean Qatar's policies shouldn't be criticized though.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

For Spanish speakers, Luis Enrique's streams are hilarious and great. He seems like such a cool dude.

He also tells everyone to go watch his son stream League of Legends when he's done which is funny

As a Spanish speaker, and rather familiar with the guy, I'll pass.

But I appreciate he has his way, and he may get the results for Spain. 

I'm softer on him because of the personal tragedy he's been through.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Over dinner tonight my wife asked me and my son if this was the World Cup only of football or also of other sports. 

Which led to a rather long pause as we enjoyed her great cooking.

In stark contrast, my wife has been rewatching old Japan national team matches, studying up for thr big weeks ahead.

^^ I wonder how many players have never resided in the countries they are representing. Wotherspoon, for us. Surely a whole bunch of the French African players. Musah was born in USA on a family holiday, not unlike Jonny David. Robinson and Carter-Vickers, I think.

No army base Germans on this American team, which is surely the first time in a while.

Edited by jonovision

just wondering?  wales fan attendance was estimated at 2800 on today's broadcast, which I suspect is an accurate estimate based on available numbers.

what is the Canadian fan attendance estimate?  a comparison to Wales is entirely reasonable to me, given all the relevant factors...population, proximity, rabidness and income?