General World Cup News/Discussion

One month ago, 1.5 billion worldwide watched the Final as per FIFA. In Russia, the Final had 1.12 billion viewers. 243 million watched the Final in the 24 MENA countries covered by BEIN.

Other tidbits:

- 550 million watched the opening match
- 5 billion people engaged with the tournament across all platforms
- Brazil v Croatia QF set a Youtube livestream record with 6.9 million concurrent Brazilian viewers

- 811 million people engaged with FIFA’s social channels – the most for any sporting event
- Final recorded the highest search traffic for Google
- Final recorded the fastest rate of tweets ever posted (24.4k/second)
- Messi’s pic of lifting the trophy was most liked IG post ever
- FIFA became the largest football account on Youtube with 144 million followers
- FIFA’s Fives Pick’em game became the most played fantasy game on Facebook
- Dreamers was top performing song out of the 9 released for the World Cup Reached #1 on Spotify (Global) & iTunes (100 countries)

- Best selling merchandise: La’eeb mascot soft toy, Adidas match ball, World Cup replica trophy, nation supporter t-shirt

- 3.4 million spectators or 53k/match or 96% of capacity vs 3 million in 2018
- 412k tickets resold
- Top 15 country of residence for tickets sold: Qatar, USA, KSA, England, Mexico, UAE, Argentina, India, France, Brazil, Germany, Canada, Kuwait, Australia & Spain
- 1.4 million visited Qatar. Top Hayya applicants came KSA, India, Egypt, Morocco, USA, UK, Jordan, Kuwait, Sudan & Argentina

-    Average size of team delegations: 78
-    3 teams came by commercial flights; 29 by charter
-    Most attended team training sessions before the World Cup by media were Japan, Argentina & Brazil
-    400 players used the FIFA Player app to see player data/analytics

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/546158158e52f1c9/original/The-FIFA-World-Cup-Qatar-2022-in-numbers.pdf

On 1/19/2023 at 8:43 PM, Bison44 said:

I think they are using the tweet as an unofficial poll to see if they should pony up and keep covering MLS this season.  I'm sure there are some darts, aussie football or corn-holing they could fill the schedule with.  

Followed by the World Series of "Hide the Pickle-ball."  Part of TSN's new late night line up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 8:43 PM, Bison44 said:

I think they are using the tweet as an unofficial poll to see if they should pony up and keep covering MLS this season.  I'm sure there are some darts, aussie football or corn-holing they could fill the schedule with.  

If so, judging by the comments we'll be lucky if they broadcast the MLS Final this season.

• 1 month later...

@Admin @JamboAl Since there haven't been posts in this section for over a month, perhaps we could keep it up, but drop it lower on the front page so it's not at the top anymore. Just a suggestion. 

I am fine with keeping it visible as it is a memento and could be interesting for those wanting to look back and others who are new to the forum.

On 3/4/2023 at 6:38 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

@Admin @JamboAl Since there haven't been posts in this section for over a month, perhaps we could keep it up, but drop it lower on the front page so it's not at the top anymore. Just a suggestion. 

I am fine with keeping it visible as it is a memento and could be interesting for those wanting to look back and others who are new to the forum.

Sorry, forgot to respond to you on this.  I will log onto the laptop later to see if there’s some way I can move this off the top of the Forum page.  I haven’t found out how it could be done on my phone; if I can’t figure it out, I’ll reach out to @Admin.

50 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Sorry, forgot to respond to you on this.  I will log onto the laptop later to see if there’s some way I can move this off the top of the Forum page.  I haven’t found out how it could be done on my phone; if I can’t figure it out, I’ll reach out to @Admin.

Thanks.... forum housekeeping that's all, nothing critical.

• 8 months later...