General World Cup News/Discussion

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Might be interested to know that Kaylyn Kyle was one of the hosts for BEIN sports late night or early morning (cant recall which) world cup shows.   BEIN sport was wall to wall world cup coverage all day long.   They had enough panelists and pundits to fill a widebody aircraft (or so it seems) including Julio Cesar and some of the others on that list of UK crews.  

Six New Channels, 20+ Studios, 120 Analysts: beIN SPORTS Reveals Game-Changing Coverage Plans for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

quote:"  he English language MAX Channels, beIN SPORTS MAX 3 and 4 will broadcast live every day from 11:00 (MECCA).  Coverage starts with World Cup Daily presented by Matt Spiro and former Canadian international, Kaylyn Kyle. beIN will build up to all the matches with a live Countdown show in the company of Nicky Crosby and Jason McAteer, who played at FIFA World Cup 1994 & 2002.  Live match coverage is presented by Richard Keys, Andy Gray and Reshmin Chowdhury, who will be joined in the studio by some of the greatest players to step onto a pitch, including John Terry, Joe Cole, Peter Schmeichel and Gary Neville. Carrie Brown, Aarran Summers, Andy Kerr and Adriano Del Monte are the eyes and ears of the team as they report onsite from all the stadiums and iconic landmarks around Qatar.  "

I gotta figure that the soccer pundits and commentators must be some kind of industry of its own and begs the question are there employment opportunities for retired players better:  as coach or as pundit?

Some great players simply can't coach. Or tire of the pressure quickly. Players play out their contracts, coaches are readily fired.

It's much more lucrative to coach, but you have to love the week-in week-out.

With the Qatar tournament ending, it's the end of the 32 team era.  In my opinion, it's the perfect number. Looking back on this era, the top fours look like this:

98: France, Brazil, Croatia, Netherlands

02: Brazil, Germany, Turkey, South Korea 

06: Italy, France, Germany, Portugal 

10: Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Uruguay

14: Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, Brazil

18: France, Croatia, Belgium, England

22: Argentina, France, Croatia, Morocco

France shows themselves to be the class of the tournament, with four finals out of seven, very impressive. Germany not far behind with four top four finishes, and Croatia, Netherlands, and Brazil, also having three top fours. 

Some single appearances, including Spain and Italy as winners.  

Six winners of the seven tournaments, but only eight different finalists. 

Edited by RJB

7 hours ago, Free kick said:

Might be interested to know that Kaylyn Kyle was one of the hosts for BEIN sports late night or early morning (cant recall which) world cup shows.   BEIN sport was wall to wall world cup coverage all day long.   They had enough panelists and pundits to fill a widebody aircraft (or so it seems) including Julio Cesar and some of the others on that list of UK crews.  

Six New Channels, 20+ Studios, 120 Analysts: beIN SPORTS Reveals Game-Changing Coverage Plans for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

quote:"  he English language MAX Channels, beIN SPORTS MAX 3 and 4 will broadcast live every day from 11:00 (MECCA).  Coverage starts with World Cup Daily presented by Matt Spiro and former Canadian international, Kaylyn Kyle. beIN will build up to all the matches with a live Countdown show in the company of Nicky Crosby and Jason McAteer, who played at FIFA World Cup 1994 & 2002.  Live match coverage is presented by Richard Keys, Andy Gray and Reshmin Chowdhury, who will be joined in the studio by some of the greatest players to step onto a pitch, including John Terry, Joe Cole, Peter Schmeichel and Gary Neville. Carrie Brown, Aarran Summers, Andy Kerr and Adriano Del Monte are the eyes and ears of the team as they report onsite from all the stadiums and iconic landmarks around Qatar.  "

I gotta figure that the soccer pundits and commentators must be some kind of industry of its own and begs the question are there employment opportunities for retired players better:  as coach or as pundit?

I saw her on there a few times when I was in Qatar.  She was more of the interviewer than the pundit but the day after the Canada Belgium match they literally had her cross the floor to sit on the other side of the sofa to be interviewed about that match

23 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Truly was '86 all over again.

Canada qualifies but goes 0 - 3 and Argentina wins the whole thing with the star player of the age getting an uncalled handball.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20713893/messi-handball-argentina-holland-world-cup-yellow-card/amp/

Different rules for different players and teams.  

2 hours ago, lamptern said:

I always think that the shoot out is not the best way for determine a winner in knock out state. Should FIFA considering ditch the penalty shoot out all together? How about 10 vs 10 after 90 minutes? 9 vs 9 after 120 minutes?

I like PKs.  Anyway I was hoping for a French win.  I am tired of reading how good this Messi is. 

This was not a good 

49 minutes ago, lamptern said:

CONCACAF really has some home work to do.

Column left to right: (Only matches between continental federations are calculated)

Federation, Win, Draw, Loss, GF GA, Points, Average Points, Win/Loss Ratio

0C1B0978-7D5D-4C86-B1BE-6DC2EB3B621F.jpeg

Yup. This was not a good world cup for Concacaf.  It was one of the worst WC's for Concacaf and one of the only times that Asia and Africa has fared better.   

How Concacaf Teams at the WC have done:

2022 (Qatar)……… US (R16)

2018 (Russia)………Mex (R16)

2014 (Brazil)……….Mex (R16)……US (R16)…… CRC (1/4)

2010 (S. Afr)……….Mex (R16)……US (R16)

2006 (Germany)…Mex (R16)

2002 (Jpn/S.Kor)…Mex (R16)…..US (1\4)

1998 (France)…… ..Mex (R16)

1994 (US)……………Mex (R16)…..US (R16)

How Asia Teams at the WC have done:

2022 (Qatar)………JPN (R16)…… Kor (R16)…… Aus (R16)

2018 (Russia)……..JPN (R16)

2014 (Brazil)……….None

2010 (S. Afr)……… JPN (R16)…..Kor (R16)

2006 (Germany)….Aus (R16)…..Kor (R16)

2002 (Jpn/S.Kor)…JPN (R16)…..Kor (1\2)*

1998 (France)………None

1994 (US)…………….KSA (R16)

How African Teams at the WC have done:

2022 (Qatar)……... Sen (R16)…Mor (1/2)

2018 (Russia)……..None

2014 (Brazil)……….Nig (R16)…..Alg (R16)

2010 (S. Afr)……….Gha (1/4)

2006 (Germany)…Gha (R16)

2002 (Jpn/S.Kor)..Sen (1/4)

1998 (France)…….Nig (R16)

1994 (US)…………..Nig (R16)

Edited by Free kick

Here's how the US$440 million of World Cup prize money split ended up. Nice windfall for Morocco. It means they recouped the US$13 million that King Mohammed spent on building a world-class academy about 12 years ago.

USWNT earned more from this men's World Cup than winning women's World Cup in 2015 & 19 given the 50/50 splitting of prize money deal they have with USSF.

Argentina: $42 million 

France: $30 million 

Croatia: $27 million 

Morocco: $25 million 

Quarterfinalists: $17 million each for the Netherlands, Brazil, England and Portugal.

Round of 16: $13 million each for the U.S., Australia, Japan, South Korea, Senegal, Poland, Spain and Switzerland.

Group stage: $9 million each for Mexico, Belgium, Cameroon, Canada, Qatar, Costa Rica, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Serbia, Ecuador, Germany, Tunisia, Ghana, Iran, Uruguay and Wales.

An average of 4.8 million watched on Sunday on TSN/CTV/RDS/Noovo. Third highest after 2010 & 2014 Finals. Peak was 7.7 million at 12:54ET.

It was the highest live streamed event in TSN/RDS history. No numbers disclosed but last year, TSN said the Euro Final was most streamed at 450k.

62% of Canadians watched some part of the World Cup tourney. Croatia v Canada was second most watched at 4.4 million.

France set a new tv record with 24 million watching the Final on TF1 (BEIN numbers not disclosed yet). UK averaged almost 12 million. England v France QF was most watched tv program of the year at 20 million (ex Queen's funeral as it was shown on 50 channels).

FOX averaged 16.8 million while Telemundo averaged 9 million. The combined 25.8 million total seems to be third highest audience for football in the US after 2015 US v Japan women's Final & 2014 men's Final. Of the 9 million Spanish language viewers, an average of 3 million streamed it.

45% watching in the US were between 18-49 while the average for US prime time programs for this age group is only 15%. FOX's overall numbers were up 25% vs Russia but down 12% vs Brazil - keeping in mind US linear tv watching has dropped by 40% since 2014.

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/instant-classic-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-final-reaches-more-than-10-million-canadian-viewers-on-tsn-ctv-rds-and-noovo/

Here are some other world tv numbers. They're up ex Germany despite it seemed that many said they won't watch.

Final produced a 69% share of tv viewing on Italy's RAI with 12.9 million watching first 90 mins. Public broadcaster RAI was criticized pre-World Cup for not sub-licensing some of the matches to stem assumed losses given that Italy not being there would sink ratings.

Spain's public broadcaster RTVE averaged 9.8 million which captured about a 60% share. Mediapro's Gol Mundial showed all 64 World Cup matches.

Germany was one country where the negativity around Qatar meant ratings were below 2018's Final. Public broadcaster ARD had 13.9 million viewers. In 2018, Germany also crashed out in the group stage but the audience was 21.3 million - which was actually the lowest level since 1994's Final.

Poland got 47% share with 9.3 million viewers.  Sweden set a new streaming record that eclipsed Sweden v Ukraine in last year's Euros. Final in Austria got a 57-60% share. Streaming service in India set a new record with 32 million viewers for the Final.

In terms of World Cup viewing, Canada is more into football than Australia. The Socceroos first match vs Tunisia that was in prime time in Australia pulled in 1.7 million or about 6.5% of the population while Canada vs Belgium on a weekday afternoon captured about 11% of the population. Though, the Aussies weren't playing their first World Cup match in 36 years.

Pre-World Cup, Ipsos global survey found 55% would watch even though only 39% said they follow football & 17% are passionate about it (will watch as many matches as possible). In Canada, 63% said they couldn't care less about the World Cup but TSN/CTV said 62% watched some of the World Cup. 

An online survey done after the group stage found 51% of Canadians interest in the men's national team was unchanged, 9% are less interested and 24% are more interested. As seen with World Cups broadcasted on Canadian tv since 82, the gains are incremental in nature rather than being game-changers for the sport in Canada.

Edited by red card

On 12/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, Free kick said:

I don't know why Johnston would have had a poor rating.  I am puzzled.

According to this metric, he wasn't our worst defender of our three in the back.  Also, fwiw, Buchanan had poor scores here in the first and third matches.

My experience on here with these and other similar measures is that if the rating puts a player you really like in a positive light, you use it as proof but if it is a low number, you dismiss the metric altogether, while people put various levels of spin on their interpretations either way.

Quote: "Qatar received just over 765,000 visitors during the first two weeks of the World Cup, according to an organizers’ report obtained by Reuters, falling short of the country’s expectations for an influx of 1.2 million during the month-long event."

Quote:  "The report registered 1.33 million match ticketholders and 3.09 million tickets sold across the eight stadiums in Qatar for the tournament that ends on Dec. 18."

World Cup visitors fall short of Qatar expectations (cnbc.com)

I find it interesting that the numbers were less than expected given that accommodations didnt strike me as being in great abundance.   Moreover,  I dont recall seeing empty seats in any of the games I attended.  So I dont know how they could have come up with an expected figure of 1.2 million.

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Quote: "Qatar received just over 765,000 visitors during the first two weeks of the World Cup, according to an organizers’ report obtained by Reuters, falling short of the country’s expectations for an influx of 1.2 million during the month-long event."

Quote:  "The report registered 1.33 million match ticketholders and 3.09 million tickets sold across the eight stadiums in Qatar for the tournament that ends on Dec. 18."

I find it interesting that the numbers were less than expected given that accommodations seemed didnt strike me as being in great abundance.   Moreover,  I dont recall seeing empty seats in any of the games I attended.  So I dont know how they could have come up with an expected figure of 1.2 million.

At least on TV it looked like there were tonnes of empty seats in some of the group stage matches.

19 hours ago, Free kick said:

I find it interesting that the numbers were less than expected given that accommodations didnt strike me as being in great abundance.   Moreover,  I dont recall seeing empty seats in any of the games I attended.  So I dont know how they could have come up with an expected figure of 1.2 million.

Isn't there an easy explanation - it was so easy to go to more than one game in a day, and at least games on consecutive days that each visitor bought more tickets than expected (and you can bet they based their expectations on prior far-flung World Cups).  Similar ticket sales to fewer people.  i did see lots of empty seats in the VIP area, but the seats that actual fans sat in were mostly if not all full during the prelim rounds.  

1 hour ago, Tim Pinos said:

Isn't there an easy explanation - it was so easy to go to more than one game in a day, and at least games on consecutive days that each visitor bought more tickets than expected (and you can bet they based their expectations on prior far-flung World Cups).  Similar ticket sales to fewer people.  i did see lots of empty seats in the VIP area, but the seats that actual fans sat in were mostly if not all full during the prelim rounds.  

Now that you mentioned it, yes.  There definitely was a lot of empty seats in those VIP areas in the lower sections and middle of the pitch.   Forgot about that.