General World Cup News/Discussion

538's front runners are Brasil at 22%, Spain at 11% & France at 9% to win it all. Knocking on the door of contending are Argentina, Portugal, Germany, England & Netherlands. 

Dark horses are Belgium, Croatia, Denmark & Uruguay. Canada is <1% to win and 37% to get out of group.

Group of death is G with Brasil, Switzerland, Serbia & Cameroon. Group F is ranked third.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/brazil-is-the-favorite-and-messi-is-the-star-but-the-2022-world-cup-is-up-for-grabs/

Screenshot 2022-11-16 144611.jpg

Edited by red card

21 hours ago, red card said:

137 players or almost 16.5% will be playing for a country that they're not born. 28 teams have a foreign born player. Argentina, Brazil, Saudi Arabia & Korea are the exceptions.

38 were born in France. 17 born in England but most playing for Wales. 7 each in Germany & Spain. 1 in Canada. First CAF country to win World Cup will be thanks to France.

Morocco with 14! Wow

I know we have a Canadian Coaches thread but I couldn't find it anywhere so this seemed like the next most appropriate thread.

I found it interesting to learn that South Korea has a Canadian Assistant Coach: Michael Kim. Former York Region Shooters player, has been with the Korean national team since 2018 and has previously managed in the South Korean top flight and the Chinese second division.

Also, formerly the Director of Scouting for Suwon Bluewings. Wonder if he had involvement in Doneil Henry's recruitment.

Edited by Pottsy3

Part of becoming a football nation is capturing the cultural zeitgeist. So, like the Olympics, I'm seeing more World Cup specific ads already than for previous editions. 

Here's a behind the scenes look at the adidas ad being shown on TSN's preview shows.

Another adidas ad set to the song during Maradona's iconic warm up.

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I know we have a Canadian Coaches thread but I couldn't find it anywhere so this seemed like the next most appropriate thread.

I found it interesting to learn that South Korea has a Canadian Assistant Coach: Michael Kim. Former York Region Shooters player, has been with the Korean national team since 2018 and has previously managed in the South Korean top flight and the Chinese second division.

Also, formerly the Director of Scouting for Suwon Bluewings. Wonder if he had involvement in Doneil Henry's recruitment.

Michael Kim apparently played for a Canadian youth national team and the Olympic national team between 1991 and 1996.

I believe it was the agent of one of Henry's 2018 teammates at Vancouver Whitecaps who indirectly approached Henry in 2019 about a move to Korea. Michael Kim did serve as Suwon's head scout for a while after returning from China, so it's definitely possible his fingerprints were on Henry's transfer.

18 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

Michael Kim apparently played for a Canadian youth national team and the Olympic national team between 1991 and 1996.

I believe it was the agent of one of Henry's 2018 teammates at Vancouver Whitecaps who indirectly approached Henry in 2019 about a move to Korea. Michael Kim did serve as Suwon's head scout for a while after returning from China, so it's definitely possible his fingerprints were on Henry's transfer.

Wow Mike Kim a blast from the past , he was involved with Canada youth national teams as a player , I’m not sure if he ever made any of the youth national teams but he was involved in training with several of our youth national teams back in the day . Yes he played for the York Region Shooters for a year or two when I was a general manager and part owner . Great guy nice to see him still in the game at a very good level . I think he left Canada to go work in soccer in South Korea well over 20 years now his parents are from South Korea . He was a good player but like many back in the 1990’s and early 2000’s there were no real pro leagues for players to play in and develop in , we lost a generation of players like Mike Kim who had talent but had no real incentive to keep playing with no real pathways to get anywhere and just ended up quitting the game . I really feel for all these talented players that I saw back in the day that basically quit the game because there was no real incentive to keep playing and dreaming . But nice to see that Mike has continued in the game with coaching .

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Wow Mike Kim a blast from the past , he was involved with Canada youth national teams as a player , I’m not sure if he ever made any of the youth national teams but he was involved in training with several of our youth national teams back in the day.

Heh, I wondered if the Korean-language news media had embellished his playing history. 😁

Wow.  Might have seen bits and pieces on this in the news but if you find the time give it a look.  We traded Bladder for this?  Kicked off my weekend on the wrong foot.   

Grab a beer sit down and just have a listen to this unit.  Maybe you'll take away something different then I did.  

On 11/18/2022 at 2:56 PM, K Edgar said:

No alcoholic beer sales in World Cup stadiums: FIFA

This will get the attention of football fans worldwide!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/beer-alcohol-world-cup-stadium-qatar-1.6656109

Why is this is even an issue? There is no alcohol in any sporting facility in Spain, and there hasn't been for decades. 

Which from what I have seen has not stopped certain visiting fans from drinking 0.0% and then pretending to be drunk.