General World Cup News/Discussion

On 10/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, red card said:

Here's the TV Opening that will be used by the networks. Lack of a meaningful history & cultural touchstones means the visuals are less compelling than previous World Cup hosts.

Full version that is the official theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXXe-G-_lxI&ab_channel=FIFA

Here is the TV intro's for all the World Cups from 1966 to 2018.   The one that stand out for me is 1990.   Too bad the soccer was terrible for that WC because the music for was good

Edited by Free kick

On 10/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, PegCityCam said:

One man's reveiws of the World Cup songs. "I feel nothing..." kid had me chuckling🤣

It was driving nuts that he would play 5 seconds and then yap on with total gibberish.   Instead of just playing the whole song or at least half the song.   One of the songs he played is remake of a Tears for fears - Everybody wants to rule the world but i think he was totally clueless and i he didn't know this.  He thought it was a new song.  

Edited by Free kick

31 minutes ago, Free kick said:

It was driving nuts that he would play 5 seconds and then yap on with total gibberish.   Instead of just playing the whole song or at least half the song.   One of the songs he played is remake of a Tears for fears - Everybody wants to rule the world but i think he was totally clueless and i he didn't know this.  He thought it was a new song.  

Dang...I was hoping it would give people a laugh not stress them out lol. 

16 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you're clamoring for Iran to be kicked out of the World Cup, but you were happy for the USA to continue in international football during the height of the George Floyd protests, then I don't think I have to tell you what your actual problem is.

I don't think Iran should be kicked out.  Sport should be a break from politics (my hypocritical post here aside).  But if you think the Floyd situation is equivalent, then we have no business being there (residential schools etc.) nor do most nations.  

15 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you're clamoring for Iran to be kicked out of the World Cup, but you were happy for the USA to continue in international football during the height of the *insert your own political/cultural gripe here*, then I don't think I have to tell you what your actual problem is.

This is why I don't like the "kick out nation for reasons outside soccer" mentality.

Russia is out at the moment, but it could easily be China, or Iran, or Qatar, or the United States, or North Korea, or even Canada (Hey, how about all those indiginous people we've been committing human rights violations against)?

There is no formula to determine who gets the boot, it's all about who has the loudest voice and who can make the most convincing appeal to FIFA. And that leads to hypocrasy and double standards and people rejecting/justifying dismissals based on their own personal politics (as we see here).

Keep soccer about soccer, and politics about politics. 

Also, I am not going to read that article in full, but from the opening part is seems like the argument is that Ukraine should get Iran's spot because they supplied Russia with drones being used in Ukraine?

Regardless of what you think of that, you don't deserve a spot just because you're on the recieving end of a military conflict. You already had the chance to qualify and you failed, just like every other nation that wasn't amongst the 31 successful teams. Stop using politics to weasile your way back in - it's disgraceful. 

Iran qualified fair and square, just like Canada did. End of story. 

46 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't think Iran should be kicked out.  Sport should be a break from politics (my hypocritical post here aside).  But if you think the Floyd situation is equivalent, then we have no business being there (residential schools etc.) nor do most nations.  

I was just drawing a parallel between two situations where a large segment of the population (African-Americans/Iranian women) are engaging in mass protests against state-sanctioned violence against them. I certainly don't think either should've been kicked out of international sport, lest there be nobody left to actually play. 

I have to admit, though, that I didn't read the article, and assumed that the call was based on the ongoing protests across Iran. Now that someone else has mentioned that the call was based on Iran supplying Russia with drones being used against the Ukrainian population, I would've been better making the comparison with the Saudis using American-supplied arms to slaughter innocent Yemenis. The point would still stand.

On 9/24/2022 at 5:31 PM, lamptern said:

Are there any words from TSN about broadcasting WC in 4K signal?

Fox Sport will do that in the US.

TSN has put out their 4K schedule for November. At this point, they have passed on a 4K World Cup.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-4k-broadcast-schedule-1.900579

Edited by red card

Montreal-based investment firm BCA's modelling says Canada has only a 33% chance of making out of the group stage. They're another firm to pick Argentina to win it all vs Portugal. But it is only a 7% probability.

If you don't know BCA, they're probably the lone Canadian investment side to say for years that Canada is a housing bubble. So, for the World Cup, they state Canada isn't ready for a stress test. Much like its housing market, Canada’s national team will crumble once seriously tested. At BCA, we will be cheering for our home-based team to upset our model – hoping that Canada’s football team can withstand a challenge better than its housing market.

There is also a section where Soccernomics authors opine on why their prediction that the world will catch up to western European football was wrong. Quite simply: ideas exchange within the continent. The French, Germans, English, Dutch, etc. each think just a little differently about soccer, and they swap ideas almost daily. Often this happens through matchplay: after Italy beat England, or Villareal beat Bayern Munich, the losers go home and work out what the winners did better.

The US, say, cannot learn the world’s best soccer playing qualifying games against Panama or Costa Rica. Its teenagers won’t learn it in high schools or soccer academies separated by thousands of miles from leading European teams. By the time the best North American, Asian or African players arrive in Europe, aged about 20, they’re often too late to catch up.

https://www.bcaresearch.com/reports?r=4201bf52ad3bfda09aed64d54c9a02f4&submissionGuid=85cb89ce-e607-422c-ab47-1fbd01c69f0f

Edited by red card

5 hours ago, red card said:

Montreal-based investment firm BCA's modelling says Canada has only a 33% chance of making out of the group stage.

I think 33% chance is pretty good for us and actually might be high. If all teams were equal, it would be 50% for each.

I do worry about our Defense crumbling and it’s one reason if prefer a 4-5-1 at least against Belgium and Croatia as I think it better protects them and allows us to play to our strengths which is speed and being clinical on the counter

I posted this in the Men's team forum as well for general discussion, but since this doesn't just include Canada discussion (even though we are the most controversial team discussed):

Edit - ESPN FC have now blocked this video in Canada, suspiciously, even though there are another billion videos from this channel available in Canada on youtube.

Edited by Gian-Luca

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-soccer-statement-workers-rights-1.6634038

Really? Using this brutal situation as a springboard to flout our oh so impeccable "global reputation"? Again, tone deaf as fuc:

"Canada Soccer general secretary Earl Cochrane noted Canada's 'global reputation as a country that stands up for human rights.'

'And we have a very strong track record as leaders here. And so we thought it was important for us, at the right time, to share that stance with not just Canadians but the global audience at the same time'"