General World Cup News/Discussion

1 hour ago, umpiredice said:

That is going to piss off a LOT of people who were flying in the day before or the morning of that match.  I predict a massive amount of tickets will appear in the resale platform.

I don’t know if most of those tickets weren’t made available to locals.  As for the Ecuadoran supporters, yeah, I’ll 100% agree.  If I can get my hands on a ticket, I’d go.

8 hours ago, umpiredice said:

That is going to piss off a LOT of people who were flying in the day before or the morning of that match.  I predict a massive amount of tickets will appear in the resale platform.

They would know what percentage of locals bought tickets - likely the clear majority. And if you're living in the region, flying in the morning is doable but not really doable for someone from Ecuador just to even survive jetlag.

But there are people who were first going to the F1 race in Abu Dhabi on the 20th who'll need to decide what to attend. And there are some people who were planning to attend the two other Monday matches but now it isn't logistical feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

After not having a campaign for Beijing Olympics, Coke is all in with the World Cup. Their spend is about the same as previous World Cups. 

The Magic of the World Cup ad campaign starts in September. They were produced by an Argentinian agency.

Main ad is about fanatasizing about a victory parade.

Then there is a bunch of short ads about making personal promises if we win.

And a couple of ads of about having everything you need to believe.

Edited by red card

Telemundo's Future is Futbol report had a few tidbits on where the World Cup stands amongst Latinos.

World Cup is second only to Christmas for Latinos.

Only 6 days in 2021 had no soccer broadcast on US broadcast platforms. 55% of the matches shown were in Spanish. 

Screenshot 2022-09-19 200818.jpg

Edited by red card

There seems to pessimism all over the place amongst the top sides in Europe.   Seems like everywhere I look and read about some of the traditions powers in europe these days, there is talk of gloom and doom that the national side is not playing well.  Or there is in-fighting.  

Germany lost to Hungary in this window.  Belgium seems to have been poor in the last window.  France seems to have some in fighting (ie.:  Mbappe locking horns with the FFF).  Italy didnt qualify.  As for England, some people are now questioning whether Gareth Southgate is still the best man for the job after losing and getting relegated today to Italy, who was playing minus 5 or 6 of their starters.   We read the reports trashing the US performance against Japan.   So, who's happy with their sides and playing well these days?  I wonder if this is all posturing or playing possum in preparation for the world cup.   Or are we in for some massive (unprecedented) surprises in Qatar?

Take a look at this commentary from Sky after the England performance 

Edited by Free kick

The first of investment banks to put out their World Cup predictions is from Liberum.

It's a smallish UK/NY based firm but did pick the winner in 2014 & 2018. Their model incorporates GDP/capita, population size, country temperatures, being a host country, element of chance & FIFA rankings. These should explain 45% of the success/failure of a nation while the remaining 55% will be due to luck.

Canada has a 30% chance of getting out of its group (based on 200% total since 2 teams advance): The biggest rival for a second place in the group will be Morocco, while Canada’s team will likely be very polite and leave the points to other teams.

Winner is Argentina over England. Spain & Portugal make the semis. Brasil loses to Spain in quarters. 

Mexico beats France in R16 but then loses to England. US loses to Netherlands in R16. Costa Rica doesn't get out of its group.

https://bit.ly/3LGveJ5

Screenshot 2022-09-25 193910.jpg

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

Interesting but don’t really agree with many of the %’s. Only Qatar, Ghana and Australia have worst % chance to get out of the group then us. Moreover, Costa Rica has a significantly higher % then us in there group and I would say the 3 sides in that group are equal or better than the 3 other sides in our group. Plus giving Qatar 0% is harsh as while I think they are mediocre, they are playing at home and the 3 sides in their group are the weakest by far compared to the others 

It's really hard to say what playing in November will mean and how it will impact the traditional powers.   I would NOT be surprised if this turns out to be the world cup with the most surprises and upsets.   And maybe even an unexpected winner

The world cup was often played in very late June or early July.   Thats just after the European clubs finished their season and in the middle of the season for Nordic countries, North America, and countries in the southern hemisphere.    There is the injury factor with this change and then there the interest level and fervor which has to be different with a November WC and I wonder how this will impact the atmosphere around the national teams in their preparation.

The world cup was always played at the start of summer (in the Northern hemisphere) and at a time of the year when students where home from school.  When working people were getting into the summer mood (ie.: seeing their work loads and level slightly diminish) and hence you would see lots of people huddled around the TV's in the workplace Lunch rooms to watch the world while others could take vacation days.  Its also the start of patio season and rolling down the car windows to fly the flag.  Ppl had time to pay attention and this all contributed to the immense and mounting interest in the WC and is something that has to be a motivating factor for the players and teams.

But a November WC means the students are either in school or in the middle of exams.  For working people, November is often a time when most employers have their year-end and there is a push to meet those corporate targets and there is stress of performance reviews (and Xmas bonus's) to give and receive.  Nobody wants to be seen by their boss huddled the lunchroom TV at performance review time.   Even for people in retail, it's busiest time of the year.   If everybody is working long hours and have their minds on many other things, who will have time for the world cup?   

I can't see interest in the WC being at the same level as it would have in July.   Athletes are very much cognicient motivated by the significance and importance that people place in this event.  The value of this brand that FIFA has, IMHO, achieved in large part because the even occurred in July not November.  So I am curious to see how this impacts things

Edited by Free kick

• 2 weeks later...

Canadian Nora Fatehi headlines another song released from Qatar World Cup soundtrack. She is of Moroccan descent but she made her career in Indian films across multiple languages. Her biggest song has been Dilbar with a billion+ views on youtube.

After K'Naan, she appears to be second Canadian headlining a World Cup song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HKNdrBYS5k&t=1s