General World Cup News/Discussion

3 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

Not sure if it has been posted already but found this rather interesting. 

8F7948F5-F96F-4BE9-8932-64B506CAB202.jpeg

this would be a more interesting post if it included an assessment of why players born in one country play for another, and if it actually means something.

does it mean something?

edit.  well, wales is getting right f**ked, that's fer sure, as far as football is concerned.  not sure if that represents any other greater geo-political trends.  but holey moley, take a look!

edit x2.  so quite a few countries are missing their players beyond wales, now that i go beyond my bias.   make to geo-political trends.

edit X3...i completely read the graphics backwards.  best to ignore me at this point entirely!!  🙂

Edited by eramosat
stupidity

I'd be interested to know about players who became naturalized as adults. I think of us: Davies, David, Borjan, all born elsewhere but their formative years or more were here.  Which players on the list have a tenuous connection (Wotherspoon for example), and which players have otherwise no connection other than playing there as a pro?

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Seeing Tos Ricketts and Maurice Edu in the media covering this tourney made me wonder:  how many players from the 2007 U20 World Cup, hosted by us, are participating in this event?

Vitoría, Suarez, Cavani, Caceres, who else?  I am sure there are a few more grey beards.

More of a case of teams/players not there for me.  Was doing shift work for my summer job then, and was working a midnight or something.  I probably traded to that so I could get to our games - the old union guys had no reason give the days up to summer kids. 

Anyway, after a Canada game at Commonwealth, I caught some of Chile-Congo and was really impressed with the former.  Later realised that people like Alexis Sanchez, Vidal and Gary Medel were there.  Bit of mini golden generation that are too old for this cycle.

In fact we are the only team from that group stage to have qualified it looks like.  

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Seeing Tos Ricketts and Maurice Edu in the media covering this tourney made me wonder:  how many players from the 2007 U20 World Cup, hosted by us, are participating in this event?

Vitoría, Suarez, Cavani, Caceres, who else?  I am sure there are a few more grey beards.

Di Maria

33 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Josh Simpson is there, Kristian Jack posted an interview he did with him in Qatar on Twitter a couple days ago

That was kind of sad....he looked young and fit.  Still only 39, what a shame..I cant help but think of Crepeau and his injury.  You never know when its all going to be over.  

On 10/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, TimSandberg56 said:

I also was so close to purchase TSN subscription, hoewever I digged down and found a wholesome method: sharing the blog for fellow mates to watch fifa in cheapest prices

until now streaming works smoothly on BBC iplayer, the best way to watch it by using a VPn, I am truely amazed by the extremely low price offered by PureVPN this black friday at just $1.33 a month

As we reach the final, I always enjoy the commentary critiques:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/fox-world-cup-broadcast-complaints-qatar/hg9s7tfeba4nfdji81d3ljgv

(I wasn't only one perplexed by the Chad Johnson Experience).

And the UK crews:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/bbc-itv-world-cup-pundit-ranking-qatar-2022-neville-keane-wright-mccoist-souness/

Some savage comments and tweets!

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

As we reach the final, I always enjoy the commentary critiques:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/fox-world-cup-broadcast-complaints-qatar/hg9s7tfeba4nfdji81d3ljgv

(I wasn't only one perplexed by the Chad Johnson Experience).

And the UK crews:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/bbc-itv-world-cup-pundit-ranking-qatar-2022-neville-keane-wright-mccoist-souness/

Some savage comments and tweets!

Might be interested to know that Kaylyn Kyle was one of the hosts for BEIN sports late night or early morning (cant recall which) world cup shows.   BEIN sport was wall to wall world cup coverage all day long.   They had enough panelists and pundits to fill a widebody aircraft (or so it seems) including Julio Cesar and some of the others on that list of UK crews.  

Six New Channels, 20+ Studios, 120 Analysts: beIN SPORTS Reveals Game-Changing Coverage Plans for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

quote:"  he English language MAX Channels, beIN SPORTS MAX 3 and 4 will broadcast live every day from 11:00 (MECCA).  Coverage starts with World Cup Daily presented by Matt Spiro and former Canadian international, Kaylyn Kyle. beIN will build up to all the matches with a live Countdown show in the company of Nicky Crosby and Jason McAteer, who played at FIFA World Cup 1994 & 2002.  Live match coverage is presented by Richard Keys, Andy Gray and Reshmin Chowdhury, who will be joined in the studio by some of the greatest players to step onto a pitch, including John Terry, Joe Cole, Peter Schmeichel and Gary Neville. Carrie Brown, Aarran Summers, Andy Kerr and Adriano Del Monte are the eyes and ears of the team as they report onsite from all the stadiums and iconic landmarks around Qatar.  "

I gotta figure that the soccer pundits and commentators must be some kind of industry of its own and begs the question are there employment opportunities for retired players better:  as coach or as pundit?

Edited by Free kick