The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Didn't the CSA already take private donations to get recent camps going? (I don't remember the specifics)

GE would need to not advertise this but judging at how they are doing this publicly, it's via sponsorship they want to do it and they want people to "know".

That’s the report, but I’m suggesting it’s a very slippery slope that they cannot rely on.

No problem if a company wishes to sponsor the NT's.  If they want to put more of their focus into their brand being more aligned with the men, the women or the youth squads, nothing wrong with that.  But the sponsor shouldn't dictate who gets more of their financial support.

Edited by Ottawafan

1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

...  But the sponsor cannot dictate who gets more of their financial support ...

Seriously? A sponsor absolutely should be able to do exactly that because it's their money. This letter is deliberately designed to highlight that the CSA can't accept the $100k because Victor Montagliani signed this aspect of CSA operations over to Bob Young & Co to get CanPL launched.

35 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Parliamentary committee can ask a few of these basic questions right?  

That committee can only end up being a mess. I can't imagine they are at all prepared to do it right.

BTW, how does a parliamentary committee subpoena, what's the legal framework? @Gian-Luca

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

Careful what you wish for. I'm sure the list of sponsors that would spend on the Mens' team would far outweigh the list that spend on the Womens' team. I'll bet that's one of the reasons for the rule in the first place.

Really? Will we go with Milan Borjan from Knin or Erin McLeod from Alberta to market our product? There's a big segment of Canada's population that are fine with their daughters playing soccer but want their sons playing hockey. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Hmmm, I think it will be tough, maybe they should go first for a regional bus league with very low expectations.  Maybe a few reserve teams to help bolster the league.  They shouldnt reach to far with this new womens league, it'll be tough, keep it small, quiet and definitely a bus league in very small stadiums, or maybe just the neighborhood park.  I expect I'll be ridiculed and persecuted for my altruistic opinions solely made to keep a failed womens league from setting back soccer in canada.  I fully support their efforts as long as it is at the most minimum scale and follows my directions completely.  And I look forward to scrutinizing their attendance numbers with a skeptical eye, ad nauseum once they start.  

37 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Really? Will we go with Milan Borjan from Knin or Erin McLeod from Alberta to market our product? There's a big segment of Canada's population that are fine with their daughters playing soccer but want their sons playing hockey. 

Or, you know, Alphonso Davies. The guy who has multiple sponsorships already.

There's an even bigger segment of Canada's population that is just fine with their sons playing soccer.

9 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^in no way addresses the point I was making but that's par for the course around here. Until the CMNT qualified for Qatar it was definitely not a safe bet that corporate Canada was more interested in them than the CWNT. 

Which is why the 3 million in the CBS deal was a good deal at the time. Thanks for laying that to rest.

^^^have this guy on ignore because he is more interested in picking fights than in respectful discussion. He's so eager to score a petty point on this that he is spectacularly missing the point of why things have reached the current mess on gender equity. Until the big bonanza of 2026 the CWNT had to be bundled in as well to make the CSB deal worthwhile and help prop up a men's pro league. 

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^have this guy on ignore because he is more interested in picking fights than in respectful discussion. He's so eager to score a petty point on this that he is spectacularly missing the point of why things have reached the current mess on gender equity. Until the big bonanza of 2026 the CWNT had to be bundled in as well to make the CSB deal worthwhile and help prop up a men's pro league. 

I don't think your ignore is working as intended...

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That committee can only end up being a mess. I can't imagine they are at all prepared to do it right.

BTW, how does a parliamentary committee subpoena, what's the legal framework? @Gian-Luca

I actually was asking the same question about a week ago, since it is not really an area that I have any prior knowledge or experience with. I expressed concern because they seem to be making things up as they go along and that I have no confidence that the people holding the inquiry are qualified to make any sort of judgments or recommendations as self-appointed quasi-labour arbitrators - if that is even part of their ambit and powers of course. For example, I highly doubt that they understand what the Concacaf Nations League is when even our female pundits don't seem to be able to do that. If it is just an information gathering session then I have fewer concerns than if its an inquisition.

From what I gather, the inquiry is being done under the purview of "Safe Sport in Canada". In relation to the CSB agreement that the CSA have been ordered to provide and unredacted copy of and the issue of an alleged lack of funds for the women in comparison to the men, it is difficult to see how "Safe Sport" comes into play. Actually, maybe, "impossible" is a better term rather than "difficult". If this was about Bob Birarda I could understand, just like I can understand why this committee would have done an inquisition of Hockey Canada given the subject matter. But "we're not getting single hotel rooms and first class flights like the men got in Qatar with the superior FIFA funding" doesn't seem to fall into the safe sport ambit.

Absent of further information, this seems like an abuse of government power, though I can understand why the CSA wouldn't counter with that argument as that will just make it seem like they have something to hide. Being compliant with the requests should have the opposite effect.

34 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^in no way addresses the point I was making but that's par for the course around here. Until the CMNT qualified for Qatar it was definitely not a safe bet that corporate Canada was more interested in them than the CWNT. 

Ok and? The men did qualify for Qatar so that's the world we live in now.

You responded to @johnyb by talking about Milan Borjan and Erin McLeod, which in no way addressed his point that the MNT are likely far more valuable to sponsors than the WNT in the current climate.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

GE used the word "sponsorship" - which would go straight to CSB according to what's known about the deal. The only way GE could have money given to the WNT directly would be via "donation"

Or

The CSA increases by $100k the money allocated to the WNT from the money they get from CSB with receipts for GE that they did increase the WNT funding by that amount.

Perhaps, but I have to wonder if the deal is contingent on CSB doing the work to line up the sponsorship. This is indeed a donation in all but name only, and perhaps it would fall outside the deal.

You’ve gotta think that the CSB’s ability to bring on future sponsors after all this is going to be pretty brutal up until maybe the lead up to the 2026 WC. I’ve found it strange how content they are letting people run with whatever assumptions or conjecture they want while remaining basically completely silent.  One could assume they’re trying to stay out of it and have faith in their contract but imo that would be a very shortsighted perspective.  Their inability to remotely influence public opinion is going to directly and very obviously (seeing early signs already) affect their ability to bring on future sponsors, which is going to tank the only potential payoff of their business bet. 

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Consensus seems to be that he scored the fuck out of it, too! 😄 

Go soak your pathetic head, you fucking moron.*

*I can safely assume that said moron won't see this, since he's told me at least 3 times that he's putting me on ignore. 😛 

Edited by SthMelbRed

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute