All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

Looks like a lot of people getting confirmed tickets today. That's great!

A reminder if you're interested in sharing apartments with fellow Canadians, please enter here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit#gid=0

There are several apartments booked already but some free spaces available. And for those that have not booked yet, now is probably a good time to group together with fellow TST3 or TST4 folks and get the process started. 

Vancouver Meetup for those Going to Qatar in November.

Sunday June 5, 12:15 - 2:00

Red Card Sports Bar: 560 Smithe Street @ Seymour

NOTE: May be superseeded by a Voyageur event (if any) that afternoon. Check this page Sunday before leaving.

Chance for Voyageurs going to Qatar to meet, ask questions about flights/accommodations/Hay'ya card, how to get tickets if you don't have yours yet, opportunity to match roommates for shared accommodations.

Bar opens @ noon; "formal" Q&A from 12:30 - 1:30, socializing until going to the stadium. Bar's webpage: http://www.redcardsportsbar.ca/home

PLEASE RSVP SO WE HAVE AN ESTIMATE FOR THE BAR. Either reply or PM. Thanks.

to trc2014 Tonight I could not log in to my Fifa account at all, even if I changed my password.  Hopefully it is just a FIFA brain cramp.  Glad I paid for my tickets (all three Canadian games) and booked accommodation somewhere south of Doha (Barwa Baharat Al Janoub Cluster O) before this happened.  

46 minutes ago, Tim Pinos said:

to trc2014 Tonight I could not log in to my Fifa account at all, even if I changed my password.  Hopefully it is just a FIFA brain cramp.  Glad I paid for my tickets (all three Canadian games) and booked accommodation somewhere south of Doha (Barwa Baharat Al Janoub Cluster O) before this happened.  

Ended up figuring it out!

8 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Vancouver Meetup for those Going to Qatar in November.

Sunday June 5, 12:15 - 2:00

Red Card Sports Bar: 560 Smithe Street @ Seymour

NOTE: May be superseeded by a Voyageur event (if any) that afternoon. Check this page Sunday before leaving.

Chance for Voyageurs going to Qatar to meet, ask questions about flights/accommodations/Hay'ya card, how to get tickets if you don't have yours yet, opportunity to match roommates for shared accommodations.

Bar opens @ noon; "formal" Q&A from 12:30 - 1:30, socializing until going to the stadium. Bar's webpage: http://www.redcardsportsbar.ca/home

PLEASE RSVP SO WE HAVE AN ESTIMATE FOR THE BAR. Either reply or PM. Thanks.

I'll be there, thanks

In case anyone wants to explore distances from stadiums to metros to accommodation spots (only clusters that were under QAR 1000 a night are displayed). My group's confirmed matches are added as a layer for our own purposes, it does include the TST4 package of Canada games but you can hide the layer if you want to. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1v2yjl9jutMmPezyvOXEE4JyDRNfMNag&usp=sharing 

There's been a lot of new updates on the shared accommodations spreadsheet since the phase 2 of tickets rolled in. Starting to see a lot of apartments booked and a lot of groupings. This is great!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit#gid=0

Just a reminder though that this is primarily a way for us all to find other Canadians that are both a) willing to share apartments and, crucially, b) on the same schedule. In some cases you can be off by +/- 1 day but note that there is a 2 day min stay for hotels, fan village and cruise ship (3 day min for apartments). So if you plan to share apartments for most of the day and then 'find something else for 1 night' ... you won't be able to. At least not without double paying for a night.

Are there any solo travellers out there looking for accommodations?  All I see on the spreadsheet is groups of people.  I'm going to be staying November 21 to December 2, and I would like to get an odd number of roommates so I can book a 1-, 2-, or 3-bedroom apartment and we can all split costs.  Please PM me if you are interested in sharing an apartment with me.  I'd like to get something booked in the next few days, if possible.

17 minutes ago, Cadeau said:

The wife and I got cat 2 tickets for Belgium and Croatia and the email confirming the hayya card, now I'm only waiting for accomodation confirmation. Anybody know how long that takes?

In the same boat as you.  You’ve booked an apartment or other place right?

It was actually pretty quick the process. Once I booked the apartment, we all received our accommodation confirmation in 1-3 days. I would say wait a week or so, and if nothing is confirmed, send them an e-mail. From all my dealings with them so far, I could safely say that they are efficient and smooth.

2 hours ago, Cadeau said:

The wife and I got cat 2 tickets for Belgium and Croatia and the email confirming the hayya card, now I'm only waiting for accomodation confirmation. Anybody know how long that takes?

Took only 2 days after I secured my tickets last week. Pretty quick.

We are staying for first two games and so will have tickets available for the Morocco game if anyone is interested.  

maybe we can add this to the spreadsheet so extra tickets can be shared for those keen. 

16 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

3 of us going are booking flights and accommodations tonight

YYZ is departure airport

assume most of you are arriving day before the first game if attending all 3 Canada games ?

any accommodation suggestions ?

thanks 

MapleBanana has set up a Google spreadsheet to help people connect on accommodations, the idea being that six people in a three-bedroom three-bath apartment pay less per person than the same six people pay for three one-bedroom one-bath apartments.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit#gid=0

Put your names and dates you need in there, and try to get in touch with other people in the spreadsheet who haven't finalized their arrangements.  For the TST3 package (the three Canada group games) the most common dates are November 22 to December 2.