All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

2 hours ago, patstew19 said:

When I open the spreadsheet, it says view only so I can’t add myself to the list. Got TST4 tickets and will be there from Nov 19-dec 8. I’ll keep trying to figure out how to add myself to the list 

Strange, it says 'anyone with link can edit'. Not sure how to fix that. 

Either way I've added you to the list (assuming it's just you).

Using what has been reported for the tickets allocated to the English FA since they play in 2 of the same stadiums as Canada, here are likely the tickets available for those who applied through Canada Soccer's draw.

Belgium: 2,339

Croatia: 2,489

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-tickets-world-cup-iran-26836607

Edited by red card

Now that the window is closed, I was thinking that we would know immediately whether we got tickets or not.  But its actually on May 31st that they will send out the email.  🙁

Its too bad we have to wait that long because, even though we believe that our chances are good,  you still cant book everything else unless you have tickets in your hands.    Waiting is a problem.

If this wasn't Qatar that we were going to (eg.: if it was Europe instead),  you could easily book everything even if you don't have tickets.  And if by some misfortune, you strike out on tickets,  you still have other things to see and do and a vacation to look forward to. 

Edit>:  slight correction to my post above,  you cant book anything else unless you tickets.   Which re emphasizes my point.  This is the frustrating bit.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Now that the window is closed, I was thinking that we would know immediately whether we got tickets or not.  But its actually on May 31st that they will send out the email.  🙁

Its too bad we have to wait that long because, even though we believe that our chances are good,  you still don't want book everything else unless you have tickets in your hands.    Waiting is a problem.

If this wasn't Qatar that we were going to (eg.: if it was Europe instead),  you could easily book everything even if you don't have tickets.  And if by some misfortune, you strike out on tickets,  you still have other things to see and do and a vacation to look forward to. 

Yeah it’s a tough and unique process relative to other events that are similar. Not being able to book accommodations without ticket confirmation is frustrating, but seeing as how it’s all in one central region, I understand the process in doing so. Usually fans move all around the country to different cities as the tournament progresses, but in this instance we’re all congregated in one spot for the entire time we’re there. If they just opened it up, it would impossible to book a place. We’ll get a idea at the end of month when everyone around the world gets access  to their tickets and it is a mad scramble to book 

Edited by EJsens1

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

Yeah it’s a tough and unique process relative to other events that are similar. Not being able to book accommodations without ticket confirmation is frustrating, but seeing as how it’s all in one central region, I understand the process in doing so. Usually fans move all around the country to different cities as the tournament progresses, but in this instance we’re all congregated in one spot for the entire time we’re there. If they just opened it up, it would impossible to book a place. We’ll get a idea at the end of month when everyone around the world gets access  to their tickets and it is a mad scramble to book 

Yes, this is exactly why I wanted to put together that spreadsheet so we can all organize and align our schedules/numbers for shared accommodations. When May 31 rolls around, there will be a rush of people booking out all the best options. I've already got my accommodations sorted out but others aren't so lucky.

6 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Yes,  the actual process is great.  I have no issues with it, especially the tickets part:  Its fair, it eliminates scalping entirely and treats everyone fairly.   Its a model for ticket distribution that I would love to see applied everywhere else.   

I get that the global pandemic has put a monkey wrench into a lot of this but Its also the timelines (eg.: not knowing until May 29th whether you have a ticket or not), the location of the WC and the need for that Hayya card that is problematic.  Regarding "that mad scramble to book", that's what has me worried and it is also making my interest wane a little.    

Edited by Free kick

On 5/2/2022 at 5:33 PM, Free kick said:

Regarding "that mad scramble to book", that's what has me worried and it is also making my interest wane a little.    

Was just looking at the shared accommodations sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit?usp=sharing

Fortunately, there is a solid group of 6 of you that have the same shared 'TST2' schedule of Nov 22-28 (give or take). Though I don't know @Ruud's ticket situation or how many people in his party, and I think 2 are from the voyageurs facebook group. Either way, @Free kick @pod818 @Ruud and Auxtown (from voyageurs forum) should link up to see if it makes sense to share an apartment. It only requires one of you to book it.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I would recommend that anyone with a ticket to a game and has a ticket number organize themselves in groups to book something before May 31st when the accommodations "Hunger Games" begin in earnest.  

Yeah, that's kind of why I put together that sheet for all the solo travelers out there to organize themselves. In this case, for the TST2 crowd it looks like they have the requisite numbers and confirmed tickets to book now, pre hunger games.

Same goes for TST4 crowd, and I've already booked one apartment for TST3. Will probably need another apartment for TST3 as well.

Thanks for the reminder guys, it's a good point. I am ready to book, since the friends I was waiting on never applied for tickets. I could take initiative to find and book the room on my end. Personally I have TST4 tickets. If there are people who have tickets and ready to book, this is how we could do this:

1) If there are enough TST4 ticket holders, will book the room from Nov. 22 to Dec. 7th. 

2) If there are not enough TST4 holders, I could book from Nov. 22 to Dec. 2, and then make separate booking for Dec.2-Dec.7. Once we have a group for that second part.

As an FYI, I am not on any other forums, so if you are aware of other people in different forums looking to book, please let me know, and based on the number of people ready to commit, will find a room accordingly.

AP received more details from FIFA in terms of ticket demand.

https://apnews.com/article/business-soccer-sports-travel-lifestyle-1442b49365b2690aa133f5ddb4e5d789

3 million requested for Final.

2.5 million for Argentina/Mexico.

1.4 million for England/USA.

2 million ticket requests each from Qatar, England & USA.

Article also mentions limited accommodations available. More updated info via an American Qatar fan leader from a April 27th Fan Booking workshop says approximately 1/3 of rooms have been released so far in a phased approach. Hotels were held for official parties but some are now being returned.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Has anyone secured any tickets for individual non-Canada matches in between games?

Yes, a few people went in and bought random tickets in the first phase.  I wound up with Denmark-Tunisia, Cameroon-Switzerland and Morocco-Croatia (the same day as Canada-Belgium).

On 5/4/2022 at 12:53 PM, maplebanana said:

Was just looking at the shared accommodations sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit?usp=sharing

Fortunately, there is a solid group of 6 of you that have the same shared 'TST2' schedule of Nov 22-28 (give or take). Though I don't know @Ruud's ticket situation or how many people in his party, and I think 2 are from the voyageurs facebook group. Either way, @Free kick @pod818 @Ruud and Auxtown (from voyageurs forum) should link up to see if it makes sense to share an apartment. It only requires one of you to book it.

Hi guys - I already checked with the friend I'm travelling with and he's booked us something already, and unfortunately doesn't have much room as he wanted a room to himself.  So max is I will have one extra bed in a second room potentially (although not even sure we will have single beds, although it does say single beds).  Sorry can't be of more help on this, but have added to the google sheet so that the address and building is there.

• 2 weeks later...

They’ve started posting whether you were successful. My group got all our tickets through the gold membership, round of 16, category 1, all 5 tickets. So stoked right now. What a relief!!

Shit..I hadn’t checked yet but I also applied for some individual games, no luck on Argentina-Mexico, but we got tickets to the Dutch-Ecuador and Portugal-Uruguay 

Edited by EJsens1

I also updated apartment situation here as well.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:44 AM, maplebanana said:

So I've been communicating with quite a few of you offline on shared accommodations. There is a lot of uncertainty with tickets, aligning schedules and even numbers of people going. So in order to help everyone here in the CSN community find shared accommodations, I've put together a simple Google sheets doc for us all to coordinate. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit?usp=sharing

If you are on here and do not want to be, please feel free to delete yourself. This accommodations challenge is a bit like a big game of musical chairs, but hopefully with enough chairs. And my intention is to find everyone a chair when the music stops. No one gets left behind!

If you are looking for shared accommodations with fellow V's, please have a look. We have some time before phase 2 draw results are known and therefore tickets are confirmed. 

Now that many seem to have gotten tickets, is there anyone who got Cat 1 tickets? All my roommates have Cat2 lol.

So if anyone wants to share their app number who is Cat 1 please message me. Was there a common number to use? Might have missed that.

Thanks everyone!