All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

I wanted to start a discussion for those who are thinking of going/already decided they are going (assuming Covid isn’t restricting travel), where people can post info about tickets, accommodations, flights, etc.

I’ve seen some topics in the Voyageurs facebook group, but let’s have a more focused one here.  Of course for many a lot of this is contingent on Canada qualifying, but I assume some will go whether they do or not.  This isn’t a jinx either.  People need to plan a trip like this for various reasons where a lot of money is being spent.  I’m planning to go with at least 2 others.  So let’s get at it.

**Just before I post some information about it, I hope this thread doesn’t turn into a “I’ll never go to Qatar” or “a human rights issue” or whatever reason you may have against the hosts.  Those are valid concerns but the focus here is about travelling to and from Qatar, not whether they should be hosting or what they have done since being named hosts of the tournament.  My intention isn’t to marginalize that but I don’t want people to feel pressured, who are thinking of going, that what they are doing is something wrong. Let’s keep the commenting focused on the tournament off the field.

It’s widely known, by I have source at FIFA and he said expect the first round of information for ticketing to be released the second half of January.  The link below is the exact link for going through the tournament process for when you order. Keep your eyes on this link for the next month.  

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/tickets

Here’s another option that you can utilize immediately.  You can pick your own package for games, including one that is just Canada games.  Lots of perks here, but pretty pricy.  A ticket starts at $950 US per game.  It guarantees you a or all Canada game(s) if money isn’t a concern.  Takes a couple minutes to navigate this part of ticketing but it’s pretty straight forward.

https://hospitality.fifa.com/2022/en/

Lastly on tickets, no idea if going through the CSA with the Voyageurs could be an option for the fan sections in the stadiums.  Higher ups here would have to let us know on that one.

Accommodations has become a big issue as their is a growing concern about hotels, apartments, cruise liners, etc and their availabilities, plus how much they will cost.  As others have said, the Qatari government has basically blocked access to getting a place to stay from early November through the end of the tournament.  You can register here with FIFA about your accommodations going forward.  What it actually does for you?  Not much detail about that.  It lists a bit of info about your options.

https://book.qatar2022.qa/?utm_source=qatar2022.qa&utm_medium=referral

I saw this article last week that talked about prices.  Now this site, no clue as to its credibility, so take it with a grain of salt for sure but if the prices they show here are accurate for hotels and other details pricing wise, this looks a lot better financially. 

https://www.archysport.com/2021/12/thats-what-the-hotels-at-the-qatar-world-cup-will-cost-surprising-prices-soccer/

“BamS has an exclusive letter from the Ministry of Commerce to the hotels in Qatar. In it: The fixed maximum price that the hostels are allowed to charge for a room – broken down by category.

From November 1st, around three weeks before the opening game of the tournament on November 21st, the following maximum prices per night per room may be charged:

★ 5-star luxury hotels: 2133 Qatari riyals (approx. 520 euros)

★ 4-star hotels: 482 riyals (approx. 117 euros)

★ 3-star hotels: 438 riyals (107 euros)

★ 2 and 1 star hotels: 296 riyals (72 euros)“

Therefore, around 60,000 private apartments and villas are also rented and several cruise ships are chartered, which are moored in the port and should offer accommodation for up to 10,000 fans. It is likely that these prices will also be capped.”

We shall see..

I’m not bothering with flights at this point.  Too far out.  I feel the priorities are tickets/accommodations.  

I hope others can add to this thread or make corrections on errors, and that we can help each other out.

Aside from covid flare ups same time next year, finding a place to stay will be the main problem.

AP just put out an article that found limited availability already. Only three hotels could be booked on the open market on the internet. The cheapest available rooms there would cost US$1,028, US$1,431 or US$5,276 for the night. But it could be FIFA has asked Qatar to block off rooms for now. 

World Cup organizers have also said more than 1.2 million visitors will come. The most recent data from the Qatar Tourism Authority said there are 33,208 rooms in hotels and hotel apartments.

I'm looking at possibly flying in from neigbouring countries - hopefully staying at friends/relatives living in the region.

Edited by red card

I’m glad someone started this thread.  I was about to post something yesterday on it after reading that AP story.  To be honest, I’m not encouraged after reading what AP is reporting.  

“Only approximately 90,000 rooms will be made available to the public via a website. ”

As much as I’d like to attend, I worry the lack of accommodation / pricing of it will make it too expensive.  Flying in from Europe or another country to watch a match, then flying out, would make it even more complicated and costly….

Qatar Airways is offering some kind of all inclusive deal for games.  Between 3-8k USD depending on what you want to see…eg group stage, Knock-out, etc.

https://www.qatarairways.com/app/fifa2022/?iid=ALL24232430

Edited by cornerkick

37 minutes ago, red card said:

Aside from covid flare ups same time next year, finding a place to stay will be the main problem.

AP just put out an article that found limited availability already. Only three hotels could be booked on the open market on the internet. The cheapest available rooms there would cost US$1,028, US$1,431 or US$5,276 for the night. But it could be FIFA has asked Qatar to block off rooms for now. 

World Cup organizers have also said more than 1.2 million visitors will come. The most recent data from the Qatar Tourism Authority said there are 33,208 rooms in hotels and hotel apartments.

I'm looking at possibly flying in from neigbouring countries - hopefully staying at friends/relatives living in the region.

Yeah I saw that article yesterday.  It’s one of those articles that doesn’t seem to acknowledge the part where the Qatari government has blocked hotel reservations to this point.  Excellent point about rooms for teams, staff, media.  I kind of look to this World Cup as a better comparison to an Olympic Games.  All in one city.   

I’ve seen people suggesting they’ll fly in and out of Abu Dhabi as they certainly have better hotel availability and their lax laws in drinking, which is a good segue into alcohol..

From what I can tell you’ll be able to drink in certain areas.  Public intoxication will be frowned upon. Does that mean arrests?  I can’t see that happening.  

An English sent me this a couple of weeks ago as I will probably go with him and take in both the England and Canada first round matches and maybe second (tickets permitting although he managed to get tickets to both the final and semi-final at the Euros so has a good track record)

image.thumb.jpeg.e576765d428c32ca69278de4febd94cf.jpeg
Not sure where he got that from but seems like tents in the dessert are an option but doing that with 10,000 pissed coked up England fans doesn’t appeal.

Edited by An Observer

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

I would love to go to see all of Canadas group stage games. What that looks like, I don’t knowww yet.

Me and my brother are definitely trying to go. I just don’t know where to go for tickets/accommodations.

This is all brand new to me. 

Ticketing is done through FIFA, plain and simple.  No ticketmaster or something simple.  Like I said, maybe something can happen through the CSA/Voyageurs but I’m not sure.

I’ve been to 2 World Cups.  Both times I got my ticket via lottery.  The Germany one was lucky but in Brazil I was pretty confident we’d get tickets because we chose a city in the northeast (Recife was the name) which wasn’t as popular a destination as Rio or Sao Paolo or Brasília.

What has happened in the past is you select the type of ticket package you want, one team or one stadium or multiple sites.  Now obviously being in one city it will be different, but I assume similar.  You’ll create a profile on FIFA’s ticketing page, including your name and the name of others going with you.  Enter all your credit card info, etc, I seem to recall passport too, and if/when you get the tickets to your games, your name and the other going with you, in this case your brother, will have your name on each ticket assigned to you to cut down on scamming and reselling.  Tickets were mailed to us in advance.  Might be digital these days, not sure 

YES. This thread is awesome. 

I promised myself if Canada made it, I would go. Only thing is, I know nothing about the world cup process as I've never looked into going before.

I don't know if anyone in this forum has been before and are familiar with the process, but if someone would care to give a slight World Cup crash course for planning the trip/some tips for getting set up I think a lot of people would appreciate it here. Or maybe Im the only one here who has no clue what they're doing or where to start lol. (not the most experienced traveller) 

I also have to say, it is even more daunting given how far away the tournament is. If it was in Europe or even South America I think it would be a lot less stressful but given the location, it feels like there's even more stress to get things absolutely perfect when planning the voyage. 

I was 11 years old when we played at Mexico '86. I've been waiting my whole life to see Canada play in a World Cup live. However, as much as it hurts, I simply can't ignore those things that the OP wishes to put aside for the purposes of this thread. I won't be going. I'll be unlikely to get tickets to our games in 2026, as well. So, I'm hoping that we'll qualify again in 2030 in either an African or South American country, and that Australia gets to host in 2034. I'll be nearly 60 by then, though.

1 hour ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

YES. This thread is awesome. 

I promised myself if Canada made it, I would go. Only thing is, I know nothing about the world cup process as I've never looked into going before.

I don't know if anyone in this forum has been before and are familiar with the process, but if someone would care to give a slight World Cup crash course for planning the trip/some tips for getting set up I think a lot of people would appreciate it here. Or maybe Im the only one here who has no clue what they're doing or where to start lol. (not the most experienced traveller) 

I also have to say, it is even more daunting given how far away the tournament is. If it was in Europe or even South America I think it would be a lot less stressful but given the location, it feels like there's even more stress to get things absolutely perfect when planning the voyage. 

I posted the links/comments above that you need to follow for ticketing.  It’s directly through FIFA.  
As for travelling, if you don’t have a lot of experience I understand it can be daunting.  What our group is planning to do, is go somewhere in Europe for a few days before flying into Qatar.  Throwing around places like Barcelona, Dublin, maybe London.  Lot will depend on when Canada first plays, cost, flights.  If you’re going that far anyway, take advantage of the opportunity while you’re there.  I’ve done a lot trips.  Travelling is the best life experience in my opinion.  

One thing I recommend not doing is doing some big travel package that pays for your tickets, flights, hotel.  Those types of trips jack up the prices.  Book everything individually.  You can do things on your time in a sense and get it for much cheaper 

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I was 11 years old when we played at Mexico '86. I've been waiting my whole life to see Canada play in a World Cup live. However, as much as it hurts, I simply can't ignore those things that the OP wishes to put aside for the purposes of this thread. I won't be going. I'll be unlikely to get tickets to our games in 2026, as well. So, I'm hoping that we'll qualify again in 2030 in either an African or South American country, and that Australia gets to host in 2034. I'll be nearly 60 by then, though.

I respect your opinion and beliefs on that.  I guess my point is that I prefer this thread not derail into a bashing of the country, where the purpose here is about people organizing trips.  

I've been doing some initial planning on this as well. If we qualify for Qatar, I'd like to see our 3 group stage matches.

It feels like accommodation will be the most difficult part to secure. At least with group stage tickets, people will be interested in different matches, but with accommodation, you're competing with every fan from every country for the exact same thing that is in very limited supply.

I thought I might have had an absolute steal on accommodation. As hotels were blocking off their inventory for November and December 2022, one of the Marriott hotels in Doha forgot to turn off their points redemption option. I had the entire group stage booked on points from November 20th to December 3rd. I was really hoping it would sneak in under the radar, but the hotel cancelled my reservation a few days ago, saying it shouldn't have been available to book because everything has to go through the Qatar 2022 booking portal and they couldn't accept any direct bookings from individuals. So close.

I’d be there if I had tickets ans accommodations.  Some neighbors of mine grew up in Qatar and likely “know some people” but I’m guessing that those connections only go so far.  Prices and gouging will be astronomical.  I know many myself included who have been to fifa or Olympic events but this is likely the first time match tickets may be easier to come by than reasonable hotel accommodations?  Local populations have never been this small and game sites in such close proximity 

3 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I’d be there if I had tickets ans accommodations.  Some neighbors of mine grew up in Qatar and likely “know some people” but I’m guessing that those connections only go so far.  Prices and gouging will be astronomical.  I know many myself included who have been to fifa or Olympic events but this is likely the first time match tickets may be easier to come by than reasonable hotel accommodations?  Local populations have never been this small and game sites in such close proximity 

A good friend of one of my best mates currently lives in Qatar, working for FIFA. He said that residents are prohibited from providing accommodation to visitors without special permission. Not sure if it's true, or not, but it's what I was told.

I did a little bit of searching and info gathering yesterday.  Looking at things like stadium locations but more specifically cost of Travel, accommodations and game tickets.  I thought that accommodations would be the biggest challenge moneywise and that Travel and game tickets, no issue  or at least predictable.   But in fact, to my surprise,  it was game ticket prices that was absolutely insane.  You are always prepared for some flexibility with game ticket prices because of the 'once in a life time" opportunity that this is.  But even considering that, the number that appeared in front of my eyes was jaw dropping.  i gotta figure that we will see something more reasonable as the new year rolls in. 

Edited by Free kick

@admin

PS.:  Note to admin.   Is there a way that this thread can be moved to a section that is only accessible, readable and viewable by logged in users/members.  There could be some information that is shared that, if viewed by the public at large, could impact the demand for tickets and such so that it ultimately hurts our abilities or impacts the costs of going to Qatar. 

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

@admin

PS.:  Note to admin.   Is there a way that this thread can be moved to a section that is only accessible, readable and viewable by logged in users/members.  There could be some information that is shared that, if viewed by the public at large, could impact the demand for tickets and such so that it ultimately hurts our abilities or impacts the costs of going to Qatar. 

Possibly sorta.... The best thing to do would be to move such info to the Voyageurs Forum on the V's site that is members only.  

The barrier to entry here for simply gaining access to whatever I set up is essentially zero, unless I barred new sign ups from it.

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

@admin

I'd say you could start your own Facebook page if it matters so much to you. 

This is not a private message board, sorry, it is not what we are about.

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

I did a little bit of searching and info gathering yesterday.  Looking at things like stadium locations but more specifically cost of Travel, accommodations and game tickets.  I thought that accommodations would be the biggest challenge moneywise and that Travel and game tickets, no issue  or at least predictable.   But in fact, to my surprise,  it was game ticket prices that was absolutely insane.  You are always prepared for some flexibility with game ticket prices because of the 'once in a life time" opportunity that this is.  But even considering that, the number that appeared in front of my eyes was jaw dropping.  i gotta figure that we will see something more reasonable as the new year rolls in. 

I have to ask, where did you see this pricing?  I have a few thoughts on what that might be 

Regardless of what they may say, there are plenty of foreigners working in Qatar and I don't think they can control who rents their apartments, or even rooms. There are also lots of places left empty for stretches, and will be left empty during the WC, so I think however they try to control things, there will be availability on lodging. 

A few years ago I went through the early stages of a recruitment process for Zayed University in Emirates: you could also be in UAE or Bahrein and drive in to matches, as will many from those nations. So you don't even have to deal exclusively with Qatari restrictions, if they try to impose them.

Not sure they have cars enough to rent, as basically you need a single base, so a vehicle is rather essential.

I happen to know some young people who have just left, get this: a daughter of a close friend was there with her partner, both in their late 20s. But he was working as a specialised psychologist for a football coach, on a more confidential personal, non-football question. And was asked to go to Qatar with the family. His club paid for him, she worked for Qatar foundation. They are now in the process of moving back to Catalonia. 

3 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I have to ask, where did you see this pricing?  I have a few thoughts on what that might be 

I was on the FIFA page for the tournament website and looking at the packages available.   i will try to dig it up again and send you the link.    Be warned, seeing the price for a single ticket can be traumatizing 🙂

Edit.:  i just noticed that you already have these ticket prices in your original thread

Edited by Free kick