All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

18 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

WTF - that last line, "Visa payment cards are the exclusive payment"??? Do I have to go and get a Visa card to be able to buy tickets? Visa was only the "preferred" method before!

Haha sorry Mark..I just quickly took a screen shot for the information above it. Didn’t even notice.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, pod818 said:

anyone apply for the Hayya card? I keep getting declined for the name, because it says I can only have 1 space but my middle name is 2 words

I applied.  Very easy.  You do need to upload a photo of your passport (i took a photo and not a scan) and a photo of yourself (ie. passport like photo).  After a little fiddling as my passport photo was more than 2mb, it worked and was submitted.  They approved in 24 hours.  And then you need to download the Hayya app and log into it (i used the Fifa log in details).  Took a couple of minutes.  the "Card" is on there.  

he good news is no physical card you need to worry about carrying around and using (or losing); the bad news is you need to carry your phone everywhere (and you need a smartphone as there is no alternative).

On 4/5/2022 at 1:56 PM, CanadianTraveller said:

Perhaps set up one collection for TST3's, another collection for TST4's? Say Nov 22+- through Dec 7+-?

Is there anywhere else online that's discussing Canadians sharing at this level? Or...too soon, wait until May 31 and the Phase 2 & CanadaRED+White sales are confirmed?

We are two people in on 22nd and out on 28th.  Still looking for two rooms or 2 beds. Only a few options currently on the site and they look like glorified dorm rooms.  A friend from Qatar told me they are in industrial zones and near the cemetery- hence the adjective “peaceful”

For a sense of how the US is handling their WC ticket allocation (and therefore, possibly how CR and CRW would work): 

277571049_10159501917868941_8793946057084049288_n.jpeg.f72556fe3ca8020a36c2421173bac2fe.jpeg

Circle Insider membership costs $500/year. VIP is $185, premium is $45 and standard is free. 

Canada still has yet to announce Canada Red+Gold and Red+Black, so we'll also have 4 tiers. I suspect our allotment could be handled in a similar way.

16 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Circle Insider membership costs $500/year. VIP is $185, premium is $45 and standard is free. 

Canada still has yet to announce Canada Red+Gold and Red+Black, so we'll also have 4 tiers. I suspect our allotment could be handled in a similar way.

I bought my CanadaRED+WHITE membership and got an e-mail thanking me for my purchase.  Was I supposed to get anything else, like a logon id to some website somewhere?  I tried logging on to the Canada Soccer page and I got nowhere.  I assumed my logon id would be my e-mail address, but there's no "forgot password" button on the page.

50 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

I bought my CanadaRED+WHITE membership and got an e-mail thanking me for my purchase.  Was I supposed to get anything else, like a logon id to some website somewhere?  I tried logging on to the Canada Soccer page and I got nowhere.  I assumed my logon id would be my e-mail address, but there's no "forgot password" button on the page.

I noticed that too. As far as I noticed, there was no login id to another website. I’d like to think moving forward and they email info about ticketing for the red+white there will be a link. I suspect it will be through fifa on their site like the other fan groups have there already. Some sort of code will be allotted to us for access. That’s my best guess 

Edited by EJsens1

1 hour ago, umpiredice said:

I didn’t get anything else. I think it just puts you on an email list for when tickets are being sold. For the game at BMO I got an email with my ticket code, but there’s no log on for anything as far as I know. We basically paid to be added to an email list. 

16 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I noticed that too. As far as I noticed, there was no login id to another website. I’d like to think moving forward and they email info about ticketing for the red+white there will be a link. I suspect it will be through fifa on their site like the other fan groups have there already. Some sort of code will be allotted to us for access. That’s my best guess 

I got some access key to the Canada soccer coaching program. Anybody else get this?

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Did you apply to any CSA online coaching lessons? That is what that sounds like.

Not at all, Red+White 50$...I thought maybe that's included...i'll try to get in touch with someone. 

Edited by Cadeau
Added info

Most of the "supporters" links are simply to the general ticketing portal - presumably those nations have renounced any public sale of their ticket allocation and FIFA has kindly posted links directing those fans to general ticketing.

I would guess the missing 8 are the same countries that were listed on the supporters' page as "Coming Soon". April 28 is coming up quickly, but anyone sufficiently organized only needs a few days to submit their application(s) before then.

In fact, no reason not to submit your name in the general ticket lottery right now knowing that you can delete the entire application any time before the 28th if/when the CanadaRed+White offer arrives. Good practice for supporters since you have to set up your personal information and guest information, and that info will transfer to your supporters' application.

Meant to post this earlier, but for anyone looking for flights (especially on points), might want to look for flights that get you most of the way there to airports with direct flights to Doha later: Cairo, Istanbul, Frankfurt, Munich. Advantage of these is that they're all Star Alliance hubs, so Air Canada (or United in my case) can get you there, and you can book a separate round trip from that airport to Doha via Qatar Airways or the Star Alliance airline. 

My itinerary in case anyone wants to do something similar timewise: Arrive in Cairo Nov 20, 2 nights in Cairo and fly to Doha on Nov 22 in time for Belgium game next day. There's also flights early Nov 23 which should give you enough time for 10pm game. I found the most availability for this itinerary for the long haul flights as well as the intra-MENA flights of all the routes.

On 4/16/2022 at 12:45 PM, EJsens1 said:

Finally an update here..

I guess we have to assume the phrase "early next week" means "some time before 5:00p Pacific Time Friday April 22 ... or maybe later than that, whatever, we'll get around to it at some point".

Still no link for Canada on the FIFA ticket site.

Edited by umpiredice

25 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

You could see this coming a mile away with the Red+Gold. Feels like a bit of a shakedown. 

For sure it's a shakedown. But hard to blame them when the cost is a small fraction of the overall cost of the trip to Qatar. So for the many people here who are planning on going to the WC but don't have tickets yet, this $150 is a small price to pay.

3 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

For sure it's a shakedown. But hard to blame them when the cost is a small fraction of the overall cost of the trip to Qatar. So for the many people here who are planning on going to the WC but don't have tickets yet, this $150 is a small price to pay.

I agree. I’ve said this to a couple other people outside of here, but they should have had all these tiers set up prior to the 5th window. Qualifying was a formality in my opinion and it was right before the next lottery stage. We’re well into this lottery stage and with just over a week left, barely a word. I signed up for the red+white ($50) partially because of supposed better access to tickets for Canadian fans. Now I need to spend another $150? Obviously it’s not a fortune but this should have been organized weeks ago. 

If the gold tier has the highest priority in the weighted random draw, I guess details on the black tier aren't coming out until later.

It's too bad all the tiers weren't released at the same time. Instead of overpaying (potentially 3 memberships in the same year) and needing refunds, people could have decided on their tier and paid once.

Maybe when the official email comes out that the gold tier is available, they'll have a discount code ready to apply at checkout that's equivalent to the cost of the white tier. I'm going to buy the gold tier, but I think I'll hold off until the email announcement comes in case that's how they do it.