All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

The one thing I’ve started to notice is while there are still a lot of places available, at least with the apartments, I’m seeing random days being booked solid with big gaps in availability still there. So if you’re looking at staying in one place for a longer term, don’t wait much longer or you might have to move around a place or two. Got ours booked last night and it almost burned us

41 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

The one thing I’ve started to notice is while there are still a lot of places available, at least with the apartments, I’m seeing random days being booked solid with big gaps in availability still there. So if you’re looking at staying in one place for a longer term, don’t wait much longer or you might have to move around a place or two. Got ours booked last night and it almost burned us

I noticed the same thing, stretching all the way back to mid April. For some reason, the 24th and 25th have very limited availability. So if you look for a place to stay for the whole group stage, you might be out of luck. 

I am seeing a good amount of apartments being booked by V's pooling together in the shared doc though. Glad to see it's working out so far. 

3 hours ago, red card said:

3 hotels are now available. Pricing from US$190-314 for 1-4 star ratings.

https://www.qatar2022.qa/book/en/hotels

A number of "2-star" places for even less - as little as $100/night. I'm looking at this place w/ a 4 minute walk to Metro:

https://www.qatar2022.qa/book/en/reservation/57125/Sovereign-Hotel

https://www.agoda.com/sovereign-hotel/hotel/doha-qa.html?cid=1844104

Edit: Google labels this hotel as "3-star". I disagree, but it sounds...decent? OK?

Edited by CanadianTraveller

I think this is a travel advisory for some posters on here.

“The Penal Code was changed to introduce more vague terms, which could be interpreted as an attack on freedom of expression,” May Romanos, Gulf Researcher at Amnesty, told The Athletic.

Here's a heads-up for those travelling to Qatar.  At present, even if you are fully vaccinated and boosted, you need to provide a negative PCR test taken no more than 48 hours before your departure from Canada.  And masks are still required in public areas in Qatar.

https://www.visitqatar.qa/intl-en/plan-your-trip/travel-tips/reopening-qatar-visitors#anchor-2

https://www.ca.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/qatar

27 minutes ago, JayTfromNB said:

What type of cancellation are these places offering?  I have yet to pay for my tickets as 2 of my buddies just dropped out so I am trying to figure out what to do with those tickets to the Croatia and Morocco games. 

Like you haven’t paid for anything yet? You can’t cherry pick the ones you want. You either pay for them all or FIFA will cancel your order. You have some options in maybe trying to get someone here to sell them too (at cost, don’t even try to make money off of it around these parts) or wait for resale platform to happen (10% fee on full payment).

14 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Like you haven’t paid for anything yet? You can’t cherry pick the ones you want. You either pay for them all or FIFA will cancel your order. You have some options in maybe trying to get someone here to sell them too (at cost, don’t even try to make money off of it around these parts) or wait for resale platform to happen (10% fee on full payment).

I haven't paid for my tickets yet as I am worried I would get stuck with the tickets and was unsure of resale options.  I am happy to transfer them here at cost or lose the 10% on the resale platform.  The official resale platform info from FIFA is very ambiguous.  Do you think I would (for example), be able to sell A) some of my tickets or B ) all my tickets on the resale site later this year if my plans fall through? I would be OK losing 10%.

Edited by JayTfromNB
Typo

6 minutes ago, JayTfromNB said:

I haven't paid for my tickets yet as I am worried I would get stuck with the tickets and was unsure of resale options.  I am happy to transfer them here at cost or lose the 10% on the resale platform.  The official resale platform info from FIFA is very ambiguous.  Do you think I would (for example), be able to sell A) some of my tickets or B) all my tickets on the resale site later this year if my plans fall through? I would be OK losing 10%.

I think so on the latter, but..

Obviously I can’t guarantee you anything. I used it in 2014 and it worked well for me, but different World Cup, different times. Tough decision. Shitty those guys bailed on you. That’s pretty ridiculous after you bid on the tickets that they drop out to tell you the truth. Things happen, i get it. Best of luck!!

Edited by EJsens1

19 hours ago, gigi riva said:

i read somewhere that they may have accomidation issues in Qatar can somebody here confirm this thanks

Accommodations are very expensive for solo travellers and they can be hard to find, but if you get together with fellow Voyageurs you will find it much easier to get a place at a reasonable cost.  I paid just over $CAD 1100 for ten nights, sharing with five other guys.  Check out the Google Docs shared accommodations spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit#gid=0

Edited by umpiredice

I have 4 tix for the Belgium and Morocco games. Will be visiting our son in Sydney and want to spend 11 days in Doha.  Still fretting about accommodation. Can I sign up on the spreadsheet if I am not a registered as Voyageur?

3 hours ago, umpiredice said:

Does anyone know when the final "first come first served" ticket sales phase will open?  And is there going to be an official ticket exchange site?

My guess is that it's after June 15, when they will know who picked up and paid for their tickets, that they will probably put up for sale all of the remaining unsold tickets.   Its only after June 15 when (you have to figure) they will truly know what's available.

HERE IS WHAT THEY SAY: 

The random selection draw sales period of Sales Phase (2) for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ has been exceptionally well received by fans around the world who want to support their teams in the most anticipated football tournament. Fans who have been allocated tickets based on the ticket applications submitted during this sales period and want to secure their seats to avoid missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime experience must PAY FOR THEIR TICKETS AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, FROM 11:00 CEST/12:00 (MIDDAY) DOHA TIME ON 31 MAY AND BY NO LATER THAN 11:00 CEST/12:00 (MIDDAY) DOHA TIME ON 15 JUNE 2022. Otherwise, all tickets allocated to them will be cancelled.

It is NOT possible to apply for tickets during this period.

Edited by Free kick

5 hours ago, Finn said:

I have 4 tix for the Belgium and Morocco games. Will be visiting our son in Sydney and want to spend 11 days in Doha.  Still fretting about accommodation. Can I sign up on the spreadsheet if I am not a registered as Voyageur?

Yes, of course! Please input your name, dates, and how to contact you. The sheet is just a way for everyone to match up together if schedules align. I try to help facilitate as best I can, but ultimately I can only book one apartment (my own).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvwVxCR-OaW-rJwSlwBrASuKP0Tjzz_JyLUp23aKDVY/edit#gid=0

59 minutes ago, red card said:

Menu board from Ahmad Bin Ali stadium that will host Belgium/Canada. Picture came from this week's WCQ. 

Drinks are just C$5. Cold cuts/cheese roll and vergan burger is most expensive at close to C$16. Fatayer shown in tweet is just over C$5.

These are actually not bad prices, though I wonder if it'll rise dramatically during WC. From that Footy Scran twitter page I've learned that the rest of the world does not have the outrageous stadium food prices we 'enjoy' in North America.

1 hour ago, red card said:

Menu board from Ahmad Bin Ali stadium that will host Belgium/Canada. Picture came from this week's WCQ. 

Drinks are just C$5. Cold cuts/cheese roll and vergan burger is most expensive at close to C$16. Fatayer shown in tweet is just over C$5.

FoodBelgium.jpg

This is the kind of information that I come here for.  Thank you and well done!

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

My guess is that it's after June 15, when they will know who picked up and paid for their tickets, that they will probably put up for sale all of the remaining unsold tickets.   Its only after June 15 when (you have to figure) they will truly know what's available.

HERE IS WHAT THEY SAY: 

The random selection draw sales period of Sales Phase (2) for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ has been exceptionally well received by fans around the world who want to support their teams in the most anticipated football tournament. Fans who have been allocated tickets based on the ticket applications submitted during this sales period and want to secure their seats to avoid missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime experience must PAY FOR THEIR TICKETS AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, FROM 11:00 CEST/12:00 (MIDDAY) DOHA TIME ON 31 MAY AND BY NO LATER THAN 11:00 CEST/12:00 (MIDDAY) DOHA TIME ON 15 JUNE 2022. Otherwise, all tickets allocated to them will be cancelled.

It is NOT possible to apply for tickets during this period.

Living on the west coast is such a disadvantage when it comes to these first come first serve sales phases. I'll have to get up a 2 am or something outrageous just to get in line. 2026 will be so much better from that standpoint.  First World problems. 

8 minutes ago, Vancouver Fan said:

Living on the west coast is such a disadvantage when it comes to these first come first serve sales phases. I'll have to get up a 2 am or something outrageous just to get in line. 2026 will be so much better from that standpoint.  First World problems. 

Not much different for me.  I had to get up just prior to 5AM for one of these 

46 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

These are actually not bad prices, though I wonder if it'll rise dramatically during WC. From that Footy Scran twitter page I've learned that the rest of the world does not have the outrageous stadium food prices we 'enjoy' in North America.

The prices will be jacked up for sure. Hopefully the selection is decent. I remember in Brazil it was awful. I don’t go to games for the food but it sure is a nice luxury to have, expensive or not

Being a vegan, it’s comforting to know that there is quite a bit that I can eat at the stadium. 

14 hours ago, red card said:

FoodBelgium.jpg