All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

2 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

I have a feeling all that will register will get ticket access - bigger question to me is hotel options and travel between venues for games - is that part of any package or does anyone have insight on how to best manage this part of the trip 

Travel to games is pretty easy, for the most part.  There's direct metro transit to two of our three stadiums.  Not so sure about the third, but even if it's a 30 minute walk from the nearest metro that won't be a problem.  The Hayya card you have to get once you have your tickets gives you free rides on the metro.

For accommodation, I have joined forces with another Voyageur to rent an apartment for ten days - he got his tickets in the first lottery so he was able to make a booking.  Hopefully I get my tickets now that accommodation is secured!

You can't book accommodation until you have a valid ticket code, but once you have it you can add anyone you like to your list of occupants even if they don't have their tickets yet.  You can always edit your list if some people on it end up not getting tickets.  I'm sure if you have accommodation with extra beds to spare, there will be many people on the forum willing to share the cost with you in return for one of those beds.

The government has capped hotel prices but they will still be in very short supply.  However, something like 60,000 apartments are being rented out by their owners for the tournament.  The one I'm in is about $CAD600 per night but it sleeps six, so $100 per night per person, which is very reasonable.

A word of caution on the cruise ship idea: the cruise ship port is far from anything. It's an hour walk to the metro. You will be dependent on shuttle buses or taxis, if you stay there.

Cost of rental accommodation highly correlates to proximity to a metro stop, I have noticed.

That’s a good point.  It seems like the cheapest dorm like accommodations are in the middle of the desert halfway to Saudi Arabia.  I got an apartment with a buddy and even though it wasn’t cheap ($450 US/night), it’s fairly centrally located and only 2 Metro stops from central Doha.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That’s a good point.  It seems like the cheapest dorm like accommodations are in the middle of the desert halfway to Saudi Arabia.  I got an apartment with a buddy and even though it wasn’t cheap ($450 US/night), it’s fairly centrally located and only 2 Metro stops from central Doha.

Yeah that's the major problem with those. They do have shuttles to metro stops but I think it's still a 30 minute shuttle. Our first game is at 10 pm...so that ride back will be so long. Well unless we get a result against Belgium...in which case won't sleep for days anyways loll

20 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How did you guys find apartments?  Don’t see any available 

19 minutes ago, Ruud said:

How did you guys find apartments?  Don’t see any available 

There are quite a few available on the official accommodations website but it could be the number of guests which is the main factor.  If you are travelling solo, it is extremely limited but if you put in 2 or more guests it should open things up.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

There are quite a few available on the official accommodations website but it could be the number of guests which is the main factor.  If you are travelling solo, it is extremely limited but if you put in 2 or more guests it should open things up.

I know of a few people on these forums who are sharing accommodations. Even a $600/night apartment is only $100 per person if you get six people in it. If anyone is trying to find a place, teaming up with other Voyageurs to split the cost is a good option.

15 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

I know of a few people on these forums who are sharing accommodations. Even a $600/night apartment is only $100 per person if you get six people in it. If anyone is trying to find a place, teaming up with other Voyageurs to split the cost is a good option.

Yes it may be how I’ve been searching.  But yes two of us are looking for a place for the first two Canada games.  I guess anyone can direct mail me if you are looking to share accommodation 

44 minutes ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

In addition to cruise ships offering temporary beds, there are several universities in Doha with students offering room shares.

I'm a bit surprised the Qatari government would allow this during the WC as they have been very hands on with respect to tracking people coming in.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm a bit surprised the Qatari government would allow this during the WC as they have been very hands on with respect to tracking people coming in.

Correct. Cause you can't even get the Hayya card without confirming accommodation through the FIFA site. Not telling people what to do, but I wouldn't take a chance by going through these backdoor channels. Downside risk is way too high, knowing all the money you are spending already on flights and tickets. I hope people go through the official FIFA channel and this way all Canadians make it there.

I also know for fact that some people who had booked hotels long in advance through points or other means, have received in the last few weeks an e-mail from the hotels saying that the reservation they had made is cancelled due to government rules for the World Cup. 

100% correct @Joe1973.  This would not be the time to get around the system.  

And for anyone wondering, I had a conversation with someone from Canada Soccer yesterday and they said anyone who applies for a Canada ticket through the supporters portal that already got tickets through the first draw/lottery will have the tickets they won cancelled and will not receive a refund for the revocation.  

Also a reminder, you cannot apply for Canada tickets on both the regular portal AND the Canada supporters one, both applications will be cancelled.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

There is an official "Family and Friends" accommodation sharing program, complete with the host applying for permission and (maybe) an inspection. Maximum 10 guests per host. Would need to confirm with the host that they have been...certified? to host. Presumably the host submits your passport # to gov't so your Hay'ya gets approved.

If it's me, I don't pay anything (not even a deposit) until my Hay'ya is approved if booking a private room. Easy to weed out most scammers that way.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think you can apply for a Hayya card without booked (paid??) accommodations.

You can apply and get to the point where they pre-approve all your details as long as you have match tickets (i.e. approve your passport, photo, and identify you as the actual individual in the application). You just won't get the final approval on the application until you have accommodations. 

29 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

You can apply and get to the point where they pre-approve all your details as long as you have match tickets (i.e. approve your passport, photo, and identify you as the actual individual in the application). You just won't get the final approval on the application until you have accommodations. 

I stand corrected; I haven’t applied for my Hayya card yet even though I have tickets and paid accommodations so only thought of the order the website has for doing this.

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

100% correct @Joe1973.  This would not be the time to get around the system.  

And for anyone wondering, I had a conversation with someone from Canada Soccer yesterday and they said anyone who applies for a Canada ticket through the supporters portal that already got tickets through the first draw/lottery will have the tickets they won cancelled and will not receive a refund for the revocation.  

Also a reminder, you cannot apply for Canada tickets on both the regular portal AND the Canada supporters one, both applications will be cancelled.

I’m assuming it’s the same for people that got them through first come first serve? 

Also, anyone else that got tickets through the first come first serve having trouble with the group ids? 

I got TST3 tickets. I plan to attend the first two Canada matches, but will sell the 3rd. I have my flights booked.

I applied for the Hayya card which finally was approved pending Accommodations. 

Finding accommodations has been the most difficult as I usually prefer to stay in hotels which are currently not released. The Villas (which look more like dormitories or compounds) didn't look too inviting to me and wasn't easy to book as a solo traveler.

I was finally able to find a cruise ship room, which I booked for 1 night (which is odd since its says 2 night minimum) for my first night there (Arrive Nov23rd 1st Canada Game). Once I booked this, my Hayya pass automatically was approved.

If I cannot find any reasonable accommodations, my plan is to fly out to Dubai or Oman the following day and use that as a base, and return back for the 2nd Canada match on the Sunday..hopefully some hotels open up in the next while

But at least it seems I have fulfilled all the criteria to actually enter Qatar and watch a Football match

Edited by pod818

^You may find things I didn't ... but FYI, for those considering basing elsewhere, short haul flights to and from Abu Dhabi and Dubai are generally $1000-1500 each way during the group stage. (I didn't look at Muscat.)

It's not totally clear to me what the rules are involving land journeys (it's about 7 hours drive time from Abu Dhabi to Doha) but it seems likely that this will be possible. That trip involves transiting Saudi, so, even if permitted (it isn't always), multiple border crossings could add significant time/hassle to that trip

Edited by ensco

If you've got some Aeroplan points and wanted to go back and forth from Abu Dhabi on the last 2 matchdays of the group stage, you can do the Croatia match for 7,500 points each way and the Morocco match for 15,000 each way. That could be a great use for some points, would save some cash, and would be easier to find accommodation. Etihad's flight times actually work out pretty well. You could take the 1 hour flight that arrives either at noon or at 3 pm for a 7 pm kickoff (Croatia) and 6 pm kickoff (Morocco), enjoy some of the post-match festivities and head back to the airport for the 2 am flight back.

Now that Etihad is bookable on Aeroplan, don't forget about them as an option from Europe if you're trying to use points to get to Doha or Abu Dhabi. You can go from Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, Geneva, Vienna, London (and many more) to Abu Dhabi directly (or on to Doha) for 25,000 points each way (30,500 points for a totally refundable booking). You could find the cheapest Canada-Europe flight that gets you to a place Etihad flies to Abu Dhabi from. Pay for the first flight, use points for the second, and that would save a nice amount as well.

2 hours ago, ensco said:

^You may find things I didn't ... but FYI, for those considering basing elsewhere, short haul flights to and from Abu Dhabi and Dubai are generally $1000-1500 each way during the group stage. (I didn't look at Muscat.)

It's not totally clear to me what the rules are involving land journeys (it's about 7 hours drive time from Abu Dhabi to Doha) but it seems likely that this will be possible. That trip involves transiting Saudi, so, even if permitted (it isn't always), multiple border crossings could add significant time/hassle to that trip

I just found an article about driving to/from the UAE.  It is possible, but it appears a hell of a lot of hassle with visas and getting car insurance that seems difficult to obtain.  
https://www.thenationalnews.com/uae/transport/2022/02/13/qatar-world-cup-how-easy-is-it-to-drive-from-uae-to-doha/?outputType=amp&d=233

I did a version of the Aeroplan suggestion above. That was by far the best option I found, if you have points. But there is no longer any availability for points on any Etihad flights into Doha on the days leading up to the Belgium game. 

Other ideas if you are arriving Nov 20-22…

1) You can look at going over Cairo. Egypt air flies nonstop Toronto-Cairo, and has some availability on the Cairo-Doha leg for around USD $500. Cairo is obviously a cool stopover you can consider. But be aware that Qatar currently requires visitors from Egypt to do a 24 hour airport hotel quarantine. Everybody expects this to change, but that is the risk…

2) Use Turkish low cost carrier Pegasus out of Istanbul for the last leg. Pegasus have availability for around USD $750 each way nonstop to Doha Nov 19-21. This is a spike, it's $250-300 for other days during the World Cup. If you do this, be aware that Pegasus operate out of Istanbul's second airport, Sabiha Gokhen (not the airport AC or Turkish use for their Toronto-Istanbul flights, also not the airport most flights from London, Frankfurt etc use either…). But Istanbul also presents a cool stopover opportunity, obviously.

Edited by ensco