CF Montreal - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

13 hours ago, Big_M said:

johnston and choiniere are ahead of him currently at rwb...listened to a reporter who is pretty close to the team and he said that brault doesnt bring enough offensively for that rwb role...that he has speed but not much else and that his crossing is really bad

I don't see how having Waterman at RCB and Johnston at RWB is better than Johnston at RCB and ZBG at RWB.  I'm guessing ZBG isn't 100% after last years late season injury.  ZBG was a beast last year, he struggles whenever he plays 2 games in 7 or 3 in 10 but otherwise is solid both sides of the ball. 

22 hours ago, wallflower said:

Orlando had a lot of errors and several clear misses on net. Imagine if they had not had these errors and misses: slaughter. Given preseason game stats for Orlando, predicting a MTL win would have been reasonable. Under pressure, MTL needs Camacho.

Montreal also had a lot of misses. They were on the front foot early and easily could have jumped out to a 2-0 lead.

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/466622/un-stade-saputo-ameliore-couterait-entre-75-m-et-100-m

Stadium renovations to stade saputo would cost 75-100 million. 

Seems like a waste to renovate that stadium because the land would still not be owned by Saputo, and is still in a less than ideal location away wealthier parts of the city. Plus all the structural problems to expanding it mentioned in the article...

I know it's a lot easier said than done and there is A LOT of politics, but build a modern stadium downtown and make it expandable for the world cup in 2026. If the big O doesn't need to be renovated than surely the city will have no problem hosting. It would really solve so many problems for this team

Edited by Chad_Impact

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/466622/un-stade-saputo-ameliore-couterait-entre-75-m-et-100-m

Seems like a waste to renovate that stadium because the land would still be not owned by Saputo, and is still in a less than ideal location away wealthier parts of the city. Plus all the structural problems to expanding it mentioned in the article...

I know it's a lot easier said than done and there is A LOT of politics, but build a modern stadium downtown and make it expandable for the world cup in 2026. If the big O doesn't need to be renovated than surely the city will have no problem hosting. It would really solve so many problems for this team

And if we build a modern stadium, how much of that is going to come from the "public dime"??

23 minutes ago, brianjc said:

And if we build a modern stadium, how much of that is going to come from the "public dime"??

According to the article Saputo apparently has said he's willing to shell out the cash for the renovations. Another 200-300 million and you're there. 

I'm wondering if the city or province would be willing to put some money into it if the 2026 bid could be included.

Edited by Chad_Impact

8 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Seems like a waste to renovate that stadium because the land would still not be owned by Saputo, and is still in a less than ideal location away wealthier parts of the city. Plus all the structural problems to expanding it mentioned in the article...

I am not a civil engineer or an architect, but it always stuck me that Stade Saputo was built in such a way that it makes it difficult to expand.   For example, they added the canopy but it was built right into the structure and the structure is one level of seating .  So there is no upper deck.   Whereas for BMO, for example, the canopy is a standalone structure.   Another thing that they did is that they surrounded the stadium with seats and that's good because there few gaps of open space.  But at the result is that there is no upper deck.  No upper deck means that the position of the TV cameras is not good for the TV viewers.  The viewing angles and sightlines for TV games at SS makes the game look less professional.    

PS.:  Listening to the interview now.   They say the stadium is not winterized.  What's interesting is that Saputo has to pay municipal taxes (which keep increasing) on the the stadium and yet he doesn't own the stadium or control anything on the stadium.  Its owned by the Olympic installations board (OIB or RIO in french)

image.png.a26a1434474b0c2f7148114a12e3b078.png

Edited by Free kick

53 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I am not a civil engineer or an architect, but it always stuck me that Stade Saputo was was built in such a way that it makes it difficult to expand.   For example, they added the canopy but it was built right into the structure and the structure is one level of seating .  So there is no upper deck.   Whereas for BMO, for example, the canopy is a standalone structure.   Another thing that they did is that they surrounded the stadium with seats and that's good because there no gaps of open space.  But at the result is that there is no upper deck.  No upper deck means that the position of the TV cameras is not good for the TV viewers.  The viewing angles and sightlines for TV games at SS makes the game look less professional.    

PS.:  Listening to the interview now.   They say the stadium is not winterized.  What's interesting is that Saputo has to pay municipal taxes (which keep increasing) on the the stadium and yet he doesn't own the stadium or control anything on the stadium.  Its owned by the Olympic installations board (OIB or RIO in french)

It was a cute park originally, and was fine for a little while, but everyone knew it would require updates on the short term.  Saputo got a bad deal from the city, he expected to develop a better relationship with the city and province along with investors/partners, but it never materialized. It's quite unfortunate.

On 3/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, Chad_Impact said:

On the #imfc hashtag on twitter, but definitely nothing concrete. Just rumors 

This will not happen the Impact name is gone forever..time to move on and focus on the team on the pitch. 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:57 PM, Free kick said:

I am not a civil engineer or an architect, but it always stuck me that Stade Saputo was built in such a way that it makes it difficult to expand.   For example, they added the canopy but it was built right into the structure and the structure is one level of seating .  So there is no upper deck.   Whereas for BMO, for example, the canopy is a standalone structure.   Another thing that they did is that they surrounded the stadium with seats and that's good because there few gaps of open space.  But at the result is that there is no upper deck.  No upper deck means that the position of the TV cameras is not good for the TV viewers.  The viewing angles and sightlines for TV games at SS makes the game look less professional.    

There are a lot of stadium’s in the EPL for example that have no upper deck and actually look similar in design to Saputo stadium . I’ve never felt the games look less professional from watching games on TV from those EPL stadiums than I do watching watching on TV from Saputo. Now in terms of location and the kind of deal Saputo got from the city I agree it’s unfortunate. A brand new stadium right downtown would of course be great , however, the only stadium that might one day go downtown and the city will probably bend over backwards for is a baseball stadium if they ever got their MLB team back .Remember this is still Canada and we may be in 2022 but soccer at times is still treated like a second class citizen in this country compared to the ingrained other sports with baseball being one of them.