CF Montreal - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

16 hours ago, An Observer said:

On II, you can argue that the 4 TFC provide is the case as well. Osorio and Laryea were definitely developed substantially by TFC and even Kaye and Henry while recent arrivals, both started with TFC youth and were developed there for many years before going pro. Indeed, Henry also had a lot of game time with TFC at the beginning of his career.  
For Montreal, Miller falls into a very similar category as Laryea (both discarded by Orlando); Piette spent more of his youth development abroad then Osorio.  Johnston was developed elsewhere. Waterman in the CPL although Montreal did give him his break a couple of years back. And Kone just signed last year so didn’t even play youth for Montreal and likely will not play more than a year for them professionally (Henry played much more for TFC at the beginning of his career). Crepeau really is similar to Kaye in that he couldn’t cut it professionally with his youth club and had to go elsewhere to make it. Although Crepeau hasn’t come back to his original club like Kaye.

don’t get me wrong, I love what Montreal has done with Canadian talent recently and the fact 6 were starting a playoff match for them yesterday and they had more on the bench and in the pipeline.  TFC is so dependent on high priced foreign talent that it stymies the development of their youth as has been covered elsewhere on this site as being in the GTA, they have substantially more to work with then Montreal (or Vancouver). On that latter point, I really see Vancouver failing on the CanCon in recent years and they should be the ones looking to Montreal as a future blue print for success. 

Hoping Yao and Rea continue the CPL to MLS progression for CFM in 2023.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pretty shit game by CFM.  Was really hoping for more from them today.   

NYC is good team.   They have quality players.  This is something that become apparent to me during the COVID tournament in Florida because they were the most entertaining team to watch.    I am not sure that CFM should have to hang their heads.    

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

NYC is good team.   They have quality players.  This is something that become apparent to me during the COVID tournament in Florida because they were the most entertaining team to watch.    I am not sure that CFM should have to hang their heads.    

NYCFC are defending champs for a reason

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I still think CFM played a poor defensive game today.   

Montreal have always looked vulnerable at the back. Outside of Johnston, their best players were poor and NYC were patient, played an excellent road game, got an outstanding performance from their keeper when needed and were clinical on their chances. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Montreal have always looked vulnerable at the back. Outside of Johnston, their best players were poor and NYC were patient, played an excellent road game, got an outstanding performance from their keeper when needed and were clinical on their chances. 

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I am 5 minutes into those highlights and I realise that Johnston is directly involved or directly created all of the scoring chances that Montreal had.   Hell of a player.  Defends well yes, but he can also create things in the attacking half

Edited by Free kick

The 4-5 deliveries in the box from AJ in those highlights were world-class. Then ZBG came on and put in another one that'd fit into that category, as well. That Montreal only converted one of them into a goal is pretty damning, even if the NYC 'keeper made a couple of great saves.

Highlights don't look great for Waterman or Pantemis. How did Kone do, overall, for those who watched the full match?

Well, Montreal played New York off the pitch and lost 3-1. Miler and Wanyama were uncharacteristically poor. A stone cold penalty against Mihailovic in the 1st half was not awarded. A healthy Quioto could have made a difference.

At least none of the Canadians got injured. Johnston the best of the Montreal players on the day.

Edited by jonovision

58 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I quite enjoyed watching the bits of Montreal I was able to catch this year. More fun than watching the MLS team I tried to adopt way back (Whitecaps for Western geography.)

To those more in the know: Who is realistically leaving the club over the winter?

Mihailovic for sure

Kone, Wanyama likely 

Miller, Johnston possible