CF Montreal - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

CF Montréal signs 28 year-old American back-up keeper Logan Ketterer.   Sirois back to Valour?

https://www.cfmontreal.com/nouvelles/le-cf-montreal-fait-l-acquisition-du-gardien-logan-ketterer

They've got more invested and potential in Sirois than Ketterer.  They'll want to promote and play Sirois as much as possilble.  I'm thinking they're trying or already have traded/sold Pantemis. 

Breza would remain 1st, Sirois backup, and Ketterer 3rd string in case of injuries.

Also possible it's Breza that's sold/traded, as opposed to Pantemis since he's probably more valuable on the market.

Edited by costarg

9 minutes ago, costarg said:

They've got more invested and potential in Sirois than Ketterer.  They'll want to promote and play Sirois as much as possilble.  I'm thinking they're trying or already have traded/sold Pantemis. 

Breza would remain 1st, Sirois backup, and Ketterer 3rd string in case of injuries.

Also possible it's Breza that's sold/traded, as opposed to Pantemis since he's probably more valuable on the market.

Yeah the move makes me think Pantemis will be traded

4 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I haven't checked the stats, but i'm pretty sure he's killed CFM with goals for years.  One of those guys you'd rather have on your side than the other.  Wonder how much he has left in the tank? 

Is he toxic in the dressing room or something?  How and why has he played on so many MLS teams??? 

2 hours ago, costarg said:

I haven't checked the stats, but i'm pretty sure he's killed CFM with goals for years.  One of those guys you'd rather have on your side than the other.  Wonder how much he has left in the tank? 

Is he toxic in the dressing room or something?  How and why has he played on so many MLS teams??? 

I think he's just been underappreciated.  He scored 5 goals in 9 games in Finland last year, so he can still produce.  The only downside is he's now 37.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, Chad_Impact said:

Good piece!  Thanks for posting this.    I wish i would have seen it earlier but i don't wander out of CMNT forums much these days.   

My personal thoughts: Everything he talks about is really rooted in lack of money.  By that i mean money to pay for to attend the sporting events and lack investor dollars from locals.   

When i say "lack of money to pay for to attend the sporting"  i don't mean that there is nobody with the money to pay for the tickets.  Of course there are, but what i mean instead is that disposable incomes (in particular from private sector sources) are comparatively low in Montreal/Quebec in relation to many of the similar sized cities in Canada and the US.  This is due to a combination of high personal taxes and smaller private sector and private sector dollars.  Disposable income is what drives the entertainment economy (e.g.: concerts, cultural events, sporting events).  This is why season ticket bases for every sport teams in Toronto (for example) are so much more bigger than that for the teams in Montreal.  For a metropolitan area the size of Montreal,  there should be several other pro sports teams but what you see instead is sporting landscape comparable to or inferior to a Scaramento, San Antonio or Buffalo.   Even Vancouver, (with half the population) does better.   Some will feed you the BS that some of those other sports are not culturally rooted in Quebec but thats BS!!!  I was around here when the Raptors were born,  i can assure you nobody cared nor knew a F'ing thing about Basketball and the NBA.  And I always found Expos fans just as or more knowledge than blue jays fans. 

Then there is issue of investors and Investor dollars.  There are far far too few in Montreal and Quebec.   The quiet revolution's aim's was to kick out of the province one group of ppl (based on perceived linguistic demographics) in the hope that another group (based on another perceived linguistic demographic) would fill the void economically.  Well, what happened is that the later never filled the gap.   Its incredible to think that when the Habs were for sale twice in the last 30 years, no francophone was able to step up with the $$$.  Instead it had to be an American and some old Anglo money, that didnt leave the province,  that saved the day.   Its the same story with other pro teams in the city.   This would never happen in even a place like Buffalo NY for Crissakes,   Imagine that?  a small declining rust belt town like Buffalo NY.  

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

....The quiet revolution's aim's was to kick out of the province one group of ppl (based on perceived linguistic demographics) in the hope that another group (based on another perceived linguistic demographic) would fill the void economically....

In soccer's case the key was always likely to be the more recently arrived allophones. Step on down Lino Saputo.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 2/19/2022 at 12:32 AM, Free kick said:

Good piece!  Thanks for posting this.    I wish i would have seen it earlier but i don't wander out of CMNT forums much these days.   

My personal thoughts: Everything he talks about is really rooted in lack of money.  By that i mean money to pay for to attend the sporting events and lack investor dollars from locals.   

When i say "lack of money to pay for to attend the sporting"  i don't mean that there is nobody with the money to pay for the tickets.  Of course there are, but what i mean instead is that disposable incomes (in particular from private sector sources) are comparatively low in Montreal/Quebec in relation to many of the similar sized cities in Canada and the US.  This is due to a combination of high personal taxes and smaller private sector and private sector dollars.  Disposable income is what drives the entertainment economy (e.g.: concerts, cultural events, sporting events).  This is why season ticket bases for every sport teams in Toronto (for example) are so much more bigger than that for the teams in Montreal.  For a metropolitan area the size of Montreal,  there should be several other pro sports teams but what you see instead is sporting landscape comparable to or inferior to a Scaramento, San Antonio or Buffalo.   Even Vancouver, (with half the population) does better.   Some will feed you the BS that some of those other sports are not culturally rooted in Quebec but thats BS!!!  I was around here when the Raptors were born,  i can assure you nobody cared nor knew a F'ing thing about Basketball and the NBA.  And I always found Expos fans just as or more knowledge than blue jays fans. 

Then there is issue of investors and Investor dollars.  There are far far too few in Montreal and Quebec.   The quiet revolution's aim's was to kick out of the province one group of ppl (based on perceived linguistic demographics) in the hope that another group (based on another perceived linguistic demographic) would fill the void economically.  Well, what happened is that the later never filled the gap.   Its incredible to think that when the Habs were for sale twice in the last 30 years, no francophone was able to step up with the $$$.  Instead it had to be an American and some old Anglo money, that didnt leave the province,  that saved the day.   Its the same story with other pro teams in the city.   This would never happen in even a place like Buffalo NY for Crissakes,   Imagine that?  a small declining rust belt town like Buffalo NY.  

There is definitely a lack of major money in the city (though you wouldn't guess it by real estate these days 💀) and agree with everything you're saying. We're very much a big city with a small city mentality. 

I think what makes the Impact/CFMTL so disappointing is just how much they failed to take advantage of this market. The team just has no identity atm, and has traditionally failed at attracting the cities massive european football fanbase. I truly believe there's an alternative reality out there where this club has a massive sporting, and even cultural, footprint in the city. It just seems like every decision this club makes is the wrong one. 

Geez.  I am happy CFM are fielding lots of Canadians but they were pretty abysmal today.  They couldn’t generate much offence but the biggest issues were at the back - and Brezza, Miller and Waterman were 3/4 of that (and Johnston when he was back for outside coverage - though he wasn’t quite as poor as the others).  Gotta be better than that or CFM will have a tough season.  

FD81BF08-8617-4373-8C30-B8163BE7856B.jpeg

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Geez.  I am happy CFM are fielding lots of Canadians but they were pretty abysmal today.  They couldn’t generate much offence but the biggest issues were at the back - and Brezza, Miller and Waterman were 3/4 of that (and Johnston when he was back for outside coverage - though he wasn’t quite as poor as the others).  Gotta be better than that or CFM will have a tough season.  

FD81BF08-8617-4373-8C30-B8163BE7856B.jpeg

Miller was beaten for speed on the first &  Waterman with a poor pass out on the 2nd. 

Just now, Kadenge said:

Miller was beaten for speed on the first &  Waterman with a poor pass out on the 2nd. 

And it wasn’t just those plays - there were a couple more where they were cut apart by a couple of incisive passes by Orlando.  They could have very easily lost that game by a wider margin. 

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

others are simply preferred to brault...choiniere johnston...needs to ask for a trade if he wants a better shot at being a starter

Is that where things are really at for him?  He was pretty damn good for them last year.  I don’t know what happened in preseason but we are only one game into the season.  Does he really need a transfer?  For a guy who was just called up to the national team I would have thought he would be in contention for CFM this year.  

johnston and choiniere are ahead of him currently at rwb...listened to a reporter who is pretty close to the team and he said that brault doesnt bring enough offensively for that rwb role...that he has speed but not much else and that his crossing is really bad

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

johnston and choiniere are ahead of him currently at rwb...listened to a reporter who is pretty close to the team and he said that brault doesnt bring enough offensively for that rwb role...that he has speed but not much else and that his crossing is really bad

I'd take him in Vancouver!  Axel, make the deal!

48 minutes ago, Big_M said:

vancouver has enough or even too many...anyway they are playing in a back 3 with dajome and brown on the sides in the mid...in a back 4 at rb they have nerwinski blackmon brown godinho

I would take ZBG  at either RB or RWB ahead of any on that list and then Dajome could be moved back to a foward position.