Rida Zouhir

PopePouri

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Having a good camp, we’re likely to see him emerge this year. 

It seems that he will get time deeper on the pitch, but he Saliba and Rea are starting in friendlies with the first team.

Didn’t you just criticize every young TFC player last week and now you’re praising every young Montreal player this week.  

FWIW, I’m excited to see what Rea, Zouhir, Saliba along with Nelson, JMR and the other young Canadian players playing in MLS this year.

Edited by Corazon

36 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Didn’t you just criticize every young TFC player last week and now you’re praising every young Montreal player this week.  

FWIW, I’m excited to see what Rea, Zouhir, Saliba along with Nelson, JMR and the other young Canadian players playing in MLS this year.

No I criticized TFC and said it’s likely they ruin JMR’s career.

38 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

No I criticized TFC and said it’s likely they ruin JMR’s career.

They did a disservice by giving an unrealistic market value to his name.  

But he’s 4 months younger than Saliba, 6 months younger than Zouhir and 2 years and 1 month younger than Rea.

Saliba who’s older has 0 professional games and Zouhir who’s a year older has 12 professional games with Montreal.  And Rea who’s two years older has yet to play a professional game with Montreal (albeit two very good CPL seasons under his belt).  
Its just odd to me that you think TFC has ruined JMR’s career when he’s the youngest  of the four aforementioned players and with the most experience.  Point is, JMR is still young with lots of potential like Zouhir, Rea, Nelson and Saliba.  Toronto FC’s valuation of JMR is what has hurt JMR because he has underachieved comparatively to that valuation.

FWIW, I also think what Montreal has done with Rea is the way to go with young players that aren’t ready for the MLS level.  And I’d wish Toronto would do the same because I feel the MLS NextPro is too big of a drop off in quality.

I think Montreal has done a great job with Rea and the CPL loans but what has Montreal done for Zouhir and Saliba (who are both older than JMR) that is better for their careers than what Toronto has done for JMR?

Edited by Corazon

On 2/4/2023 at 5:22 PM, Corazon said:

They did a disservice by giving an unrealistic market value to his name.  

But he’s 4 months younger than Saliba, 6 months younger than Zouhir and 2 years and 1 month younger than Rea.

Saliba who’s older has 0 professional games and Zouhir who’s a year older has 12 professional games with Montreal.  And Rea who’s two years older has yet to play a professional game with Montreal (albeit two very good CPL seasons under his belt).  
Its just odd to me that you think TFC has ruined JMR’s career when he’s the youngest  of the four aforementioned players and with the most experience.  Point is, JMR is still young with lots of potential like Zouhir, Rea, Nelson and Saliba.  Toronto FC’s valuation of JMR is what has hurt JMR because he has underachieved comparatively to that valuation.

FWIW, I also think what Montreal has done with Rea is the way to go with young players that aren’t ready for the MLS level.  And I’d wish Toronto would do the same because I feel the MLS NextPro is too big of a drop off in quality.

I think Montreal has done a great job with Rea and the CPL loans but what has Montreal done for Zouhir and Saliba (who are both older than JMR) that is better for their careers than what Toronto has done for JMR?

Just jumping in to help clear what looks like a misunderstanding here.   Your points are very valid, however you're still missing Dominic94's point, you're comparing players and development, while D94 is explaining he doesn't have faith in TFC developing him properly.  Two entirely different things.  D94 never said JMR is terrible and finished.  

34 minutes ago, costarg said:

Just jumping in to help clear what looks like a misunderstanding here.   Your points are very valid, however you're still missing Dominic94's point, you're comparing players and development, while D94 is explaining he doesn't have faith in TFC developing him properly.  Two entirely different things.  D94 never said JMR is terrible and finished.  

So as per my last question that was addressing development on the post that you responded to, do you believe Montreal has developed Zouhir & Saliba better than Toronto FC has developed JMR? 

Edited by Corazon

Until recently I hadnt even heard of Saliba, so I cant make any intelligible comments.  Dont know where Zouhir/Saliba started and not sure where they are now in terms of development.  However, I do know JMR signed at 15, trialed with Arsenal and Liverpool a year ago, made the Guardians list of best 2004's in the WORLD, and everyone thought enough of him to think he was going for millions and TFC was hanging on to him hoping to get more.  Oh and the youngest ever call up to CMNT ever at 16 a few years ago.  So when I watch TFC and see him struggle, its either he was massively overhyped, or something has gone wrong with his progress.  Or maybe its still coming eh?? 

I dont remember anyone at Montreal getting that kind of hype besides Tabla, and of course Kone but that came later when he was 20 and took off like a rocket. JMR isnt that much farther ahead than the young Montreal guys (if you disregard the hype) so I'll guess we'll see.  It would be nice to see all 3 make massive breakthrough this year like a Kone.  

57 minutes ago, Corazon said:

So as per my last question that was addressing development on the post that you responded to, do you believe Montreal has developed Zouhir & Saliba better than Toronto FC has developed JMR? 

Well for one, no one, including TFC seem to know where to play JMR, so there's that issue that needs to be resolved.  JMR got like ~600 minutes in 2023, most or all out of position?  The kids got talent, but its hard to defend the development plan.  

Zouhir had Kone to compete with in 2022.  It took Kone 3 minutes to decide he liked playing so he went all big head mode and look where he is now.  Would you have benched Kone so he could share minutes with Zouhir?  So that's where Zouhir's developement plan went.  He's still expected to perform and emerge in 2023. More importantly no one is talking about broken confidence or wasted years of development in his case.

As for Saliba, i don't know enough about his story to comment on his development.

Then we also need to consider where CFM finished in the standings in 2023.  They were actually playing for something, can we actually expect them to have played more youngsters than they did?  They surpassed all expectatations on the field, standings, development and player revenue.  Hard to critique their 2022.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Dominic94 this is my point exactly. You’re drinking wayy to much of that water there when you can make these bold claims while also neglecting the Canadian legends who have already solidified there legacy Hutch, JdG….

Wanyama maybe a chump for MTL now, but look at his CV.

Rida has played how many minutes? And he will be a great! Give me the lottery numbers please!

You’ve went into every MTL player thread and gave them the wozzle 3000 lol 

Edited by Shway

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

@Dominic94 this is my point exactly. You’re drinking wayy to much of that water there when you can make these bold claims while also neglecting the Canadian legends who have already solidified there legacy Hutch, JdG….

Wanyama maybe a chump for MTL now, but look at his CV.

Rida has played how many minutes? And he will be a great! Give me the lottery numbers please!

You’ve went into every MTL player thread and gave them the wozzle 3000 lol 

Is there a day where you aren’t upset ?

i love hutch, thought JDG was great, but it’s not like they were world beaters. Someone is going to become our best midfielder ever and it’s not a high bar player caliber wise.

CV’s are nice and all, but what does it really mean ? Wow he was here and there ? Wasn’t Armas at United as a coach ? It’s not like Wanyama is great. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Upset lol… You just made an egregious statement. And I’m surprised you rate him over Kone.

I guess Rida is gone to Madrid after this year then. 

I didn’t hype him as a Madrid level prospect ? 

Zouhir is rated highly around MLS. Ironically 3 years ago Saliba was seen as the best of the trio of Henry, Zouhir and Saliba. In 2021 when Kone was signed, Montreal felt he was very skilled and ready for mls in terms of the skill level but not the understanding of the game, heading into the season I remember seeing a few comments about the trio Kone, Zouhir and Saliba. Depending on who you ask last year most answers favoured Zouhir until say summer ? And Saliba in pre-season.

Time will tell like always, but for years people who followed the USSDA praised Toronto, Montreal and some of Vancouver’s academy age groups. 

We should see a boon of NT players and depth players from this age group across the 3. It may not be through the MLS pipeline, as in the first team route, maybe it’s academy-canpl, or maybe it’s academy-Europe. But loads of talent there.

Edited by Dominic94

12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Honestly I thought he was very good tonight, I can see why coaches raved about him and why Morroco rate him. He is going to be a much better Wanyama. 

Are you saying he’s going to have a much better career than Wanyama or just that he will be better than Wanyama this season?

Tbh I don’t see either as likely, but the latter is somewhat plausible while the former is highly, highly unlikely IMO.