Jesse Costa

VinceA

Besides getting called up to Portugal's U18, I wonder what his short-term future looks like at the club level.  

Has never seemed that he's a key player in Wolfsburg academy in the matches I've seen.  Maybe he looks to move into a Portuguese club with an easier pathway.  Here are his appearance stats from this season: https://www.transfermarkt.us/jesse-costa/leistungsdaten/spieler/898971

On 6/1/2023 at 10:40 AM, Bigandy said:

Interesting. I guess theres some question for me about eligibility. Alot of our guys have heritage in other places, but would it be enough to be eligible or would it be a holmes type situation.

Regarding some others you decided to refer to as "suspect" as to dual-nat eligibility.

- Buchanan's mother is from Jamaica.  His father is from Trinny.

- Larin's mother is from Jamaica, father's provenance is unclear.

- Miller's father is from Jamaica, and his mother is from Canada.

As for some you decided not to refer to...well, Davies could have ended up playing for a few places depending on his desire to shop around in Central Africa, between where he was born and where he lived.  And David was actually born in the USA.

You decide for yourself whether those players could have gone and played for other countries "easily" or not.  Most Canadian MNT players I suspect would be in this pot...one or both parents actually born in another country altogether, and either born themselves in Canada or subsequently having acquired Canadian citizenship.

Canada is good at recruiting.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:33 PM, eramosat said:

Regarding some others you decided to refer to as "suspect" as to dual-nat eligibility.

- Buchanan's mother is from Jamaica.  His father is from Trinny.

- Larin's mother is from Jamaica, father's provenance is unclear.

- Miller's father is from Jamaica, and his mother is from Canada.

As for some you decided not to refer to...well, Davies could have ended up playing for a few places depending on his desire to shop around in Central Africa, between where he was born and where he lived.  And David was actually born in the USA.

You decide for yourself whether those players could have gone and played for other countries "easily" or not.  Most Canadian MNT players I suspect would be in this pot...one or both parents actually born in another country altogether, and either born themselves in Canada or subsequently having acquired Canadian citizenship.

Canada is good at recruiting.

You must have missed my original list. My original list was about duals we capped during the last WCQ cycle which included 15 players including David. Obviously davies is not on the list because he was capped prior to the cycle. I made the list to prove a point at how unbelievably good we have been at recruiting in the last 4-5 years. 

However, my sentiment is that some of these "duals" may have a parent from other countries but they themselves may not have citizenship. In most cases, I would assume it would be easy to get citizenship and then become eligible for the national team. This process could take time. I know the netherlands has some stronger rules on citizenship and theres a chance a potential dual from canada could be denied even with a dutch parent. 

Therefore, when I talk about the eligibility of a "dual" like larin, I am wondering if he was 100% eligible for jamaica at the time of his debut for CMNT or if he had the possibility to become eligible for jamaica. A subtle difference but a difference nonetheless. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bring on the younglings.  It is time.  I never wanna hear another person say "we need the guys with experience that got us here".

Experience is:

Vitoria getting burned all game long, thank god the Jamaicans couldn't run on the swamp field.

Borjan juggling the ball, 25 seconds before getting scored on and strangling a player.

Osorio completely invisible and avoiding the ball at every opportunity.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Bring on the younglings.  It is time.  I never wanna hear another person say "we need the guys with experience that got us here".

Experience is:

Vitoria getting burned all game long, thank god the Jamaicans couldn't run on the swamp field.

Borjan juggling the ball, 25 seconds before getting scored on and strangling a player.

Out of respect for his contributions, Osorio ought to be given a chance to rebound at TFC this upcoming season and earn a spot on the CMNT going forward - the main idea being earn.

8 hours ago, costarg said:

Experience is:

I felt Biello got the line up right for this one. Our best possible 11, based on current form. Canada was the better team over both legs, aesthetically and by xG. The team put in a professional performance under difficult conditions in Jamaica. For 70 minutes last night, Canada were in complete control. Personally, I admire how we came out on the front foot, were the protagonists throughout, and at times had those electric bursts in attack. It’s been a long time since this team has played anywhere close to this well. Certainly not in the last NL final, the Gold Cup, and the Japan match. 

Shit happens in football. Especially in Concacaf. Jamaica capitalized on our errors, not unlike the Belgium match. This team has holes, and I’m not apposed to rotating in some up-and-comers for fringe veterans, but I’m not ready to tear it down.

9 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

I felt Biello got the line up right for this one. Our best possible 11, based on current form. Canada was the better team over both legs, aesthetically and by xG. The team put in a professional performance under difficult conditions in Jamaica. For 70 minutes last night, Canada were in complete control. Personally, I admire how we came out on the front foot, were the protagonists throughout, and at times had those electric bursts in attack. It’s been a long time since this team has played anywhere close to this well. Certainly not in the last NL final, the Gold Cup, and the Japan match. 

Shit happens in football. Especially in Concacaf. Jamaica capitalized on our errors, not unlike the Belgium match. This team has holes, and I’m not apposed to rotating in some up-and-comers for fringe veterans, but I’m not ready to tear it down.

This well-reasoned take is not allowed.

13 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Explain what "tear it down" means?  Borjan over Crepeau?  Vitoria over Cornelius?  Osorio ahead Ahmed/Choiniere?  Maybe one of those, but not 2 or 3.

Are those 3 or who ever else you're referring to still at their best?  Are they Canada's best today or is it just pure sentiment and holding on to something that has long passed.  Better players have been replaced on national teams, it happens, holding on to mediocrity is what's holding us back the past 18 months.