Jesse Costa

VinceA

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

… wait, how much people do you have on ignore lol.

Have you noticed how many links to news he posts after someone else has posted it? It could be that he just wants to get the Northern Starting XI (or whatever it's called) links out there too, but I think it's because he doesn't think the news has been posted yet, because half the site is on ignore.

Why waste people's time with this? A post like this strongly suggests that you are still at a high school level of emotional maturity.

If someone becomes personally abusive while hiding behind a keyboard I am not going to engage them in conversation in future because they have forfeited the right to be taken seriously. 

As for Northern Tribune, this has been gone over countless times on here. As others have pointed out plenty of times, multiple perspectives on the same story can be of interest to people.

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Some transfermarkt article posted a while back said he‘s projecting to be a player in the league in a few years. I might be mixing him up with Pelegríno. Either way projections are projections, but people are taking notice, and we’re not exactly in a position to turn down players who want to play for us and have the potential to be good.

You mixed up the pelegrino. The projections are a data driven model to assess how his playing style at youth translates. Without knowing much, I would assume that these types of projections are much more accurate than the eye test of youth team coaches. 

Having said that, it would be a long shot to extrapolate that costa has the same projections, but i assume they are similar in levels. Certainly the eye test suggests they are in the same ballpark. Portugal sniffing around also suggests costas at a decent level. 

Its too early to make any assumptions but theres reasons to justify the hype around costa compared to some of the other guys in europe. I am not getting too excited over him but surely Costa is the standard every player in our youth programs should be at if we want to continue producing top/worldclass talent. Without an insane amount of depth, we have to hold onto the few guys that we have at this level. 

14 hours ago, Kent said:

Have you noticed how many links to news he posts after someone else has posted it? It could be that he just wants to get the Northern Starting XI (or whatever it's called) links out there too, but I think it's because he doesn't think the news has been posted yet, because half the site is on ignore.

Hey, why waste peoples time with this?  A post like this shows you are still at a high school level emotionally.  Keep it up and I wont engage with you in conversation in the future, because you forfeited your right to be taken seriously.  

Mummble mumble...abusive....usual suspects, widely ridiculed, easton report, generously inflated attendance, regional bus league, semi-pro, mls second teams.....  

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Why waste people's time with this? A post like this strongly suggests that you are still at a high school level of emotional maturity.

If someone becomes personally abusive while hiding behind a keyboard I am not going to engage them in conversation in future because they have forfeited the right to be taken seriously. 

As for Northern Tribune, this has been gone over countless times on here. As others have pointed out plenty of times, multiple perspectives on the same story can be of interest to people.

The personal abuse is directly proportional to you falsifying and manipulating almost daily on this board. You are constantly foisting wild speculation and delirium as fact, questioning in a conspiratorial way and charging blindly at windmills no one else sees. Fair game. I don't block you because it's entertaining, starting with the fact you hardly sleep.

Oh, and @Bison44 you forgot "camera angles" and it's "Easton" with a capital E, you are so disrespectful.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The personal abuse is directly proportional to you falsifying and manipulating almost daily on this board. You are constantly foisting wild speculation and delirium as fact, questioning in a conspiratorial way and charging blindly at windmills no one else sees. Fair game. I don't block you because it's entertaining, starting with the fact you hardly sleep.

Oh, and @Bison44 you forgot "camera angles" and it's "Easton" with a capital E, you are so disrespectful.

I like his perspective.  I may not agree with all his posts or comments but it is clear he has been involved in the game at various levels.  Anyone willing to put in their time for the game and give back to his club/community is someone who cares about the growth of the sport in this country.  Used to ask my players and their parents you are all benefiting from someone giving to the game; will you be someone who one day gives back to the game or are you willing to only take from football?  

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I like his perspective.  I may not agree with all his posts or comments but it is clear he has been involved in the game at various levels.  Anyone willing to put in their time for the game and give back to his club/community is someone who cares about the growth of the sport in this country.  Used to ask my players and their parents you are all benefiting from someone giving to the game; will you be someone who one day gives back to the game or are you willing to only take from football?  

Reminds me of that Kennedy speech, so inspiring.

No money. Never enough money. 

You think we would be in a great position, just having made a World Cup and co-hosting the next one. 

Costa looking to Portugal is a symptom of a larger problem. Will he turn into anything? No idea. But even if he wanted to play for us again what are his options? Hope for a senior call up?

We need the framework and machine in place to start them when they are young. Integrate them early and build those relationships. No just random U-15/20 during tournaments or whatever. 

Our entire youth process just seem unprofessional. Can’t image it inspires confidence in duals with options. 

No one wants to hear there is no money. Maybe sponsors aren’t convinced by the CSA? It’s puzzling why with making the World Cup and co-hosting the next one, the talk is about no money. 

Maybe I’m a simpleton tho. 

It's super reductive, but the whole "we don't have money" thing sounds like an awful excuse, especially when we look at who we're losing players too. I get Portugal and Mexico have more money at their disposal, but how is it that a federation like Serbia's, or even Bulgaria can take our players from us? How, with the resources in their countries, are they able to stare Canada down and win the player? I know that with some of our losses, it comes to a personal/emotional connection which is fine, but you look at the sort of money that exists in this country, you look at the total pool of players at our disposal, and you look at some of the countries who have been able to flourish, and it just makes no sense.

You can blame the CSB or lack of interest in soccer in the country or a million other things, but are you saying that every single nation ranked ahead of us right now has easy access to money, zero corruption or shady business dealings and struggles to put together enough camps to keep their young players engaged? Cmon.

My thoughts as well. I don't buy for a second that it's impossible for a G7 country of ~40 million people, with huge immigration numbers and millions of registered players to not be able to afford to have a functioning youth setup, and that it's just a matter of immutable circumstance. Our leadership have been doing what seems like the bare minimum for decades, and that's why we currently find ourselves in a position where we're about to host a World Cup and we don't even have proper youth setups. I'm sorry, but that's bush league. Are we moving in the right direction? Possibly, and I hope so. But I think it's a massive cop-out to just say that "well we face challenges and there's no money, so it is what it is". If a company has no money, it's because they're failing as a company.

The whole thing about Herdman and this group of players being "New Canada" is amazing and something we've all dreamed of. Now we need to see that from the federation off the field as well. And (trigger warning), supporters need to stop accepting and echoing back the same limp-dick excuses that "it's too hard" for Canada Soccer to come up with money to be able to grow the game properly. That's literally their fucking job. If they can't do it, heads should roll.

Dual nationals will be advised to keep their options open ( don't commit ) and to look out for their pro career.  Making sure they have best possible option for their club contract is paramount and plays a huge role in deciding.  They also know how the players are treated by their federation ( in this case CSA ) and will listen to current players and whispers.  If NT players aren't happy it becomes a harder sell.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's super reductive, but the whole "we don't have money" thing sounds like an awful excuse, especially when we look at who we're losing players too. I get Portugal and Mexico have more money at their disposal, but how is it that a federation like Serbia's, or even Bulgaria can take our players from us? How, with the resources in their countries, are they able to stare Canada down and win the player? I know that with some of our losses, it comes to a personal/emotional connection which is fine, but you look at the sort of money that exists in this country, you look at the total pool of players at our disposal, and you look at some of the countries who have been able to flourish, and it just makes no sense.

You can blame the CSB or lack of interest in soccer in the country or a million other things, but are you saying that every single nation ranked ahead of us right now has easy access to money, zero corruption or shady business dealings and struggles to put together enough camps to keep their young players engaged? Cmon.

I agree that we need to find ways to get the financing in place for youth programs but there are justifiable reasons for a lack of money compared to the "serbias" of the world. 

1. Before this cycle, we had next to nothing for sponsorships and media deals. All these european countries will generate more revenue than us.
2. This cycle we finally have generated some financial momentum. However, the men going on strike and teh demands from both teams on the prize money have pretty much cancelled out any progress we made. 
3. Hosting youth camps in Canada is much more costly than a smaller european country. We have to fly in half our youth squad from all over canada and then fly the other half from europe. Serbia would have most of their youth internationals within a much shorter distance. They also can play countries who are within driving distance - travel is much cheaper in europe.
4. Federal funding. Canada soccer gets about 4million a year. Rugby gets 5million. Freestyle skiing gets 6m, curling and cycling get 6-7m.  Soccer is just not a priority from our government. I'd imagine that soccer ranks as one of the top 5 sports with grants in these other nations compared to soccer being like 25th. When Canada Kayak is getting the same funding as canada soccer, you can see where the priorities lie. 
5. Point #3 but in regards to our sr team having to travel around concacaf vs europe. 
6. The other federations have been around much longer and can leverage experience when it comes to financial planning. I am sure that serbia has a much better process for euro prize money than we have with our panic situation of WC prize money. 

Basically, I do think that most, if not all countries ahead of us have easier access to cash and lower operating costs. (with the exception of CAF nations... They dont seem well run overall but I am no expert) 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

My thoughts as well. I don't buy for a second that it's impossible for a G7 country of ~40 million people, with huge immigration numbers and millions of registered players to not be able to afford to have a functioning youth setup, and that it's just a matter of immutable circumstance. Our leadership have been doing what seems like the bare minimum for decades, and that's why we currently find ourselves in a position where we're about to host a World Cup and we don't even have proper youth setups. I'm sorry, but that's bush league. Are we moving in the right direction? Possibly, and I hope so. But I think it's a massive cop-out to just say that "well we face challenges and there's no money, so it is what it is". If a company has no money, it's because they're failing as a company.

The whole thing about Herdman and this group of players being "New Canada" is amazing and something we've all dreamed of. Now we need to see that from the federation off the field as well. And (trigger warning), supporters need to stop accepting and echoing back the same limp-dick excuses that "it's too hard" for Canada Soccer to come up with money to be able to grow the game properly. That's literally their fucking job. If they can't do it, heads should roll.

I agree with the sentiment of your post but if you claim that there is money available then where is it? If you look at 2020 fiinancial statements we had about 200k left after our expenses. This leads me think that either 1. we do not have the money. 2. We have the money but are spending it unwisely... if so, where? nothing on the financial statements seems unexplainable. 3. We do not have the money, we budget decently but we are missing opportunities to generate more money.... How much money could we generate? Not nearly as much as everyone thinks. Without CPL, in a non WC year, Without hosting a WC and after the costs to invest in an entire marketing team, we would have to generate over 4million (plus whatever it costs to get a marketing division set up and operating costs of that division- ... at least 1million) to be better than we are with the CSB deal. Do I see it as possible to generate 5million+ in sponsorship dollars... no chance. 

It would be great to overcome these hurdles but where and how. We can easily trace why our financials are so poor but the only reason to suggest the money excuse is not justifiable is only based on emotions. Surely there should be some financial evidence to back up the claim that its a cop out.  

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I agree that we need to find ways to get the financing in place for youth programs but there are justifiable reasons for a lack of money compared to the "serbias" of the world. 

1. Before this cycle, we had next to nothing for sponsorships and media deals. All these european countries will generate more revenue than us.
2. This cycle we finally have generated some financial momentum. However, the men going on strike and teh demands from both teams on the prize money have pretty much cancelled out any progress we made. 
3. Hosting youth camps in Canada is much more costly than a smaller european country. We have to fly in half our youth squad from all over canada and then fly the other half from europe. Serbia would have most of their youth internationals within a much shorter distance. They also can play countries who are within driving distance - travel is much cheaper in europe.
4. Federal funding. Canada soccer gets about 4million a year. Rugby gets 5million. Freestyle skiing gets 6m, curling and cycling get 6-7m.  Soccer is just not a priority from our government. I'd imagine that soccer ranks as one of the top 5 sports with grants in these other nations compared to soccer being like 25th. When Canada Kayak is getting the same funding as canada soccer, you can see where the priorities lie. 
5. Point #3 but in regards to our sr team having to travel around concacaf vs europe. 
6. The other federations have been around much longer and can leverage experience when it comes to financial planning. I am sure that serbia has a much better process for euro prize money than we have with our panic situation of WC prize money. 

Basically, I do think that most, if not all countries ahead of us have easier access to cash and lower operating costs. (with the exception of CAF nations... They dont seem well run overall but I am no expert) 

Such a cop out.  Nobody outside of a few fans here remembers the strike, and sponsors wouldn't give a flying fig how much money the players ask for. 

Those that are in charge of securing sponsorship and funds for the CSA are the ones who have dropped the ball.  There really has been no bounce from the mens WC ( that we have seen so far ).  The CSA should have been pounding on the door with the government to get more fed funding.  Why haven't they?

13 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Dual nationals will be advised to keep their options open ( don't commit ) and to look out for their pro career.  Making sure they have best possible option for their club contract is paramount and plays a huge role in deciding.  They also know how the players are treated by their federation ( in this case CSA ) and will listen to current players and whispers.  If NT players aren't happy it becomes a harder sell.

At the end of the day, your national team career is near irrelevant compared to your club career, and that's naturally going to lose us a lot of internationals who have access to huge teams. That's som

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I get they have reasons, we're still a relatively new soccer country, but as you point out, the budget for soccer is nothing compared to some of the other sports you mention. No reason the government can't shell out more money- I mean, take Serbia- whereas our most popular sport is hockey, but our most famous athlete is a soccer player, Serbia's most popular sport is soccer, but their most famous athlete is a basketball player. Basketball isn't their top sport, and yet they're a top 5-10 nation in the sport, they have funding for camps, and they fly in NBA players regularly.

I get ultimately this is a thing where we're screaming at people to give us money and the answer is no, but there's no reason for us to be where we're at right now. Canada has the 9th largest GDP in the world. We're one of the most athletically inclined nations in the world, we're one of the most stable nations in the world, we have one of the fastest growing soccer fanbases, and also youth pools in the world- countries like Ghana and CIV can field better rosters than ours, hell, Russia, who is in a bit of a pickle right now, probably has more sophisticated soccer operations than we do right now.

As for financial planning, we have access to the same resources Serbia has. No Canadian has the experience to financially plan for a national team budget? Fine, go out and throw a bunch of money at whoever Serbia is paying, or any number of other countries.

37 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Such a cop out.  Nobody outside of a few fans here remembers the strike, and sponsors wouldn't give a flying fig how much money the players ask for. 

Those that are in charge of securing sponsorship and funds for the CSA are the ones who have dropped the ball.  There really has been no bounce from the mens WC ( that we have seen so far ).  The CSA should have been pounding on the door with the government to get more fed funding.  Why haven't they?

It is not about remembering the strike from an emotional stand point. Its that we lost 3 million dollars. The CSB deal is 4 million and prior to the CSB deal we generated about 1 million in sponsorship. Therefore we generated 3million more in revenue in the same year we lost 3 million due to the strike.... Thats what I call losing momentum.

As for your second paragraph, the CSA have dropped the ball because no one is willing to pay for soccer?  How is that CSA's fault that no one cares? Perhaps the claim is that CSA should find a creative solution that would generate money in an environment where no one will spend any money on soccer.... That is the CSB deal!!! We have to pick a lane. If we want CSA to find a creative solution, then we cant crucify them for it as well. 

As for the pounding on the government door - Is it really a strong business plan to beg the government for more money. That doesnt seem fiscally wise or sustainable. Also, who says that they havnt gone to the feds and begged for more money? 

If the reasons I provide are simple cop outs, then there must be some solutions that are obvious to you but not to me? I would love to hear your thoughts on possible solutions to your criticisms.

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

It is not about remembering the strike from an emotional stand point. Its that we lost 3 million dollars. The CSB deal is 4 million and prior to the CSB deal we generated about 1 million in sponsorship. Therefore we generated 3million more in revenue in the same year we lost 3 million due to the strike.... Thats what I call losing momentum.

As for your second paragraph, the CSA have dropped the ball because no one is willing to pay for soccer?  How is that CSA's fault that no one cares? Perhaps the claim is that CSA should find a creative solution that would generate money in an environment where no one will spend any money on soccer.... That is the CSB deal!!! We have to pick a lane. If we want CSA to find a creative solution, then we cant crucify them for it as well. 

As for the pounding on the government door - Is it really a strong business plan to beg the government for more money. That doesnt seem fiscally wise or sustainable. Also, who says that they havnt gone to the feds and begged for more money? 

If the reasons I provide are simple cop outs, then there must be some solutions that are obvious to you but not to me? I would love to hear your thoughts on possible solutions to your criticisms.

I'm far from an expert on the finances of Canada Soccer, but some obvious criticisms that I have are the fact that we seem to have picked Toronto as the home stadium, which is fine, yet we can't even fill the lower stands. That's 100% on Canada Soccer, whether it's ineffective marketing or insane ticket pricing, there's absolutely no reason that at this point in time, you can't fill a stadium in Toronto. I have my criticisms of Toronto for this as well, but there's no excuse for that.

Also, the lack of a World Cup kit lost out on who knows much revenue. Again, I don't know all the details on this and Nike can possibly be to blame for this as well, but this also reeks of Canada Soccer not being on the front foot and just doing the bare minimum in not putting in the request on time. Every single country except Canada got a kit and raked it in on World Cup kits. You couldn't even find a Canada kit in the lead up the World Cup. Canada Soccer has be to knocking down the doors of Nike to ensure we have merchandise to sell in the biggest moment in Canadian soccer history. But as usual, Canada Soccer asleep at the wheel. I think I remember reading that our kit deal with Nike is among the worst in the world. Brilliant. These are just two off the top of my head, if I really looked into it I guarantee I could find countless more missteps from the top brass at Canada Soccer over the years, and every mistake compounds on top of the previous and puts us further behind.

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

At the end of the day, your national team career is near irrelevant compared to your club career, and that's naturally going to lose us a lot of internationals who have access to huge teams. That's som

I get they have reasons, we're still a relatively new soccer country, but as you point out, the budget for soccer is nothing compared to some of the other sports you mention. No reason the government can't shell out more money- I mean, take Serbia- whereas our most popular sport is hockey, but our most famous athlete is a soccer player, Serbia's most popular sport is soccer, but their most famous athlete is a basketball player. Basketball isn't their top sport, and yet they're a top 5-10 nation in the sport, they have funding for camps, and they fly in NBA players regularly.

I get ultimately this is a thing where we're screaming at people to give us money and the answer is no, but there's no reason for us to be where we're at right now. Canada has the 9th largest GDP in the world. We're one of the most athletically inclined nations in the world, we're one of the most stable nations in the world, we have one of the fastest growing soccer fanbases, and also youth pools in the world- countries like Ghana and CIV can field better rosters than ours, hell, Russia, who is in a bit of a pickle right now, probably has more sophisticated soccer operations than we do right now.

As for financial planning, we have access to the same resources Serbia has. No Canadian has the experience to financially plan for a national team budget? Fine, go out and throw a bunch of money at whoever Serbia is paying, or any number of other countries.

Good points! 

Basketball - I agree that our government can afford more funding to soccer but they are not doing it. Thats not CSA's fault. Serbia flying in NBA players regularly is not a good comparison to running youth camps. Its the same as us flying in our sr team... which we do regularly as well. Does serbia fly in multiple youth players from canada on a regular basis? I highly doubt it. If you compare the SR basketball camps in serbia to the Sr soccer camps in Canada then we are both doing the same thing. 

2nd paragraph - Everything youre saying is true but how does it relate to CSA. We could use all those arguments for any sport. Canada has a huge GDP so they can afford to fund basketball or figure skating etc. There is a huge difference between canada being wealthy and canada wnating to spend that wealth on soccer. Youre also failing to acknowledge that most of the other nations who have bigger soccer budgets get that from sponsorship. Canada can have the best GDP in the world but the english FA pull in waaaaaay more sponsorship from private investors than CSA. Begging the canadian government to spend a disproportional and unprecedented amount on Canada soccer is soooo unlikely and its unfair to criticize CSA for this. Lets say the government increase funding to us to put us on par with Canada hockey.... We would still only get 2-3 million more.  It wouldnt revolutionize our programs. 

Financial planning - I think i should clarify what I mean by financial planning. Serbia has agreements and precedents on how to spend prize money. Canada on the other hand has had both of the SR teams basically demand new agreements so they get more prize money and CSA get less. If we were a regular WC participant, this problem would likely have never occurred as both teams would know that we always pay out X %. How does CSA use WC prize money to help run youth teams when both sr programs are demanding they get massive payouts? Obviously there are solutions to this but the point is that a serbia is likely to get much larger sums of prize money to use for their program, while the small amount of prize money we earn on a non regular basis is instantly taken out of our program and into the pockets of the players 

16 minutes ago, frmr said:

I'm far from an expert on the finances of Canada Soccer, but some obvious criticisms that I have are the fact that we seem to have picked Toronto as the home stadium, which is fine, yet we can't even fill the lower stands. That's 100% on Canada Soccer, whether it's ineffective marketing or insane ticket pricing, there's absolutely no reason that at this point in time, you can't fill a stadium in Toronto. I have my criticisms of Toronto for this as well, but there's no excuse for that.

Also, the lack of a World Cup kit lost out on who knows much revenue. Again, I don't know all the details on this and Nike can possibly be to blame for this as well, but this also reeks of Canada Soccer not being on the front foot and just doing the bare minimum in not putting in the request on time. Every single country except Canada got a kit and raked it in on World Cup kits. You couldn't even find a Canada kit in the lead up the World Cup. Canada Soccer has be to knocking down the doors of Nike to ensure we have merchandise to sell in the biggest moment in Canadian soccer history. But as usual, Canada Soccer asleep at the wheel. I think I remember reading that our kit deal with Nike is among the worst in the world. Brilliant. These are just two off the top of my head, if I really looked into it I guarantee I could find countless more missteps from the top brass at Canada Soccer over the years, and every mistake compounds on top of the previous and puts us further behind.

I would argue that both of these are outcomes of a lack of demand. How low should we price tickets? Financially speaking, it may be better to price tickets higher and sell X amount compared to lowering your ticket prices and selling Y amount. The financial measuring stick is revenue and not empty seats. So this claim seems a bit unfounded unless there are some financials to back it up. I am seeing $40.00 tickets for the gold cup matches.. is that too high? On the flipside, CSA managed to sell out edmonton when its freezing cold out. Are you going to attribute the success of filling this stadium to the CSA or was it because there is a demand for WCQ games compared to nations league? 

Great point on the nike deal. But whos to blame for this. Canada soccer has virtually no bargaining power. Do you think nike include clauses for new WC jerseys for countries like Haiti? Thats the level we were at when these nike deals were signed. Its not the CSA's fault that we are minnows and have no bargaining power. How could the CSA negotiate a better deal with nike? Nike would just laugh at CSA demands.

Edit: the lead time for new kits is about 2 years. Can you really blame the CSA for not putting in a request for new WC kits when we had not qualified for the WC in 36 years. What a financial waste it would be if we didnt qualify. I would argue the CSA made the fiscally conservative approach and didnt gamble our finances on new WC kits when we didnt have any signs we would qualify. 

If you can find countlessm missteps, I am sure you have countless solutions as well.  How could canada negotiate a better deal with nike pre world cup qualifyinh success? How can CSA maximize ticket revenues?

Edited by Bigandy

4 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

No money. Never enough money. 

You think we would be in a great position, just having made a World Cup and co-hosting the next one. 

Costa looking to Portugal is a symptom of a larger problem. Will he turn into anything? No idea. But even if he wanted to play for us again what are his options? Hope for a senior call up?

We need the framework and machine in place to start them when they are young. Integrate them early and build those relationships. No just random U-15/20 during tournaments or whatever. 

Our entire youth process just seem unprofessional. Can’t image it inspires confidence in duals with options. 

No one wants to hear there is no money. Maybe sponsors aren’t convinced by the CSA? It’s puzzling why with making the World Cup and co-hosting the next one, the talk is about no money. 

Maybe I’m a simpleton tho. 

Technically Herdman is responsible for setting the priorities of the entire program and no one ever seems to hold him accountable for throwing our youth teams to the dogs for years on end.

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I would argue that both of these are outcomes of a lack of demand. How low should we price tickets? Financially speaking, it may be better to price tickets higher and sell X amount compared to lowering your ticket prices and selling Y amount. The financial measuring stick is revenue and not empty seats. So this claim seems a bit unfounded unless there are some financials to back it up. I am seeing $40.00 tickets for the gold cup matches.. is that too high? On the flipside, CSA managed to sell out edmonton when its freezing cold out. Are you going to attribute the success of filling this stadium to the CSA or was it because there is a demand for WCQ games compared to nations league? 

Great point on the nike deal. But whos to blame for this. Canada soccer has virtually no bargaining power. Do you think nike include clauses for new WC jerseys for countries like Haiti? Thats the level we were at when these nike deals were signed. Its not the CSA's fault that we are minnows and have no bargaining power. How could the CSA negotiate a better deal with nike? Nike would just laugh at CSA demands. 

If you can find countlessm missteps, I am sure you have countless solutions as well.  How could canada negotiate a better deal with nike pre world cup qualifyinh success? How can CSA maximize ticket revenues?

I mean when you have Canadian soccer legends like Craig Forrest dropping f-bombs on Twitter berating Canada Soccer over how they handled the ticket pricing in Toronto, I would say that's probably a misstep. Yes, of course they need to maximize revenue, but not at the cost of alienating Canadian fans and pricing them out of seeing their new heroes play. There has to be a balance there and cultivating good will with the fans is always going to pay dividends in the future.

As for Nike, if we're not able to get a World Cup kit when we make the World Cup, then there's no fucking way we should be with NIke. I'm sure there's a kit manufacturer out there who would agree to provide us with kits that we are able to sell to people who want to buy when we make a World Cup. The fact that you couldn't even buy a kit leading up to the World Cup is 100% unacceptable. If that's on Nike, then fuck Nike, but somebody from Canada Soccer signed that deal, and when they did, they basically resigned Canada to minnow status in doing so. That's exactly what I'm talking about—small-minded mentality from our leadership.

Edited by frmr