Kristian Yli-Hietanen

PiedPilko

24 year old CF from Vancouver, playing for FC Lahti in Finnish Veikkausliiga. Moved from UBC directly into the Finnish second tier last year and scored 3 goals in 8 games. Moved to Lahti this season and scored his first goal on Saturday vs KTP. He's a dual Finnish national.

I think he could be good depth if we ever do a Euro camp in the future. I kinda follow Veikkausliiga... it's not a very high level obviously, but it has 4 slots into Europe. Lahti look pretty decent this year so you never know. 

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

24 year old CF from Vancouver, playing for FC Lahti in Finnish Veikkausliiga. Moved from UBC directly into the Finnish second tier last year and scored 3 goals in 8 games. Moved to Lahti this season and scored his first goal on Saturday vs KTP. He's a dual Finnish national.

I think he could be good depth if we ever do a Euro camp in the future. I kinda follow Veikkausliiga... it's not a very high level obviously, but it has 4 slots into Europe. Lahti look pretty decent this year so you never know. 

Thanks for sharing. Just to confirm, he is a '96 so not U24 eligible.

Someone to keep an eye on longer term for sure.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do they pronounce his name there? 

They don’t, no.

Saw someone above asked about pronunciation..

Yli-Hietanen

Yli is pronounced “ooo-lee”. It is the word for “over”. We often play the game padel in Finland (getting big here) and we yell “yli!” when a serve is too long. As in “over the line!”

Hietanen is just a name. “Hee-ay-tan-en”

Im a Canadian but my wife is Finnish and we live in Finland ;)

12 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

They don’t, no.

Saw someone above asked about pronunciation..

Yli-Hietanen

Yli is pronounced “ooo-lee”. It is the word for “over”. We often play the game padel in Finland (getting big here) and we yell “yli!” when a serve is too long. As in “over the line!”

Hietanen is just a name. “Hee-ay-tan-en”

Im a Canadian but my wife is Finnish and we live in Finland ;)

Padel is immense in Spain too, I am always surprised how many in Canada have never even heard of it. Everywhere you look there are courts.

Here in rural areas, up in the Pyrenees, you have these companies putting courts in tiny villages, closed courts like storage lockers attached to industrrial buildings or gyms, with windows; you reserve with an app, playing a set fee, enter with a code. No staff. They may heat while you are playing if it is cold out, and you play 30m, an hour.

I know we are getting off topic here, but I have to comment that padel looks like one of the craziest sports out there (then again I haven't watched a full match, just highlights of top plays which are obviously more exciting -- I bet the average padel rally is pretty normal). I would love to try it as I love tennis (and pretty much any racquet sport).

It's obscure enough I can't find anything about it, definitely not a picture, but this conversation is reminding me of the Garry Shandling show where he breaks out his childhood table tennis paddle that he wrote "Padel" on when he was a kid.

I believe that Liverpool's new training base has padel tennis courts installed because Jurgen Klopp and Pep Lijnders like to play as a way to unwind at points during their work days. I think some of the continental players have also joined in. There was a running joke last year that Dejan Lovren used to big up his padel skills, only to get his ass handed to him every time he played against the coaches.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Padel is immense in Spain too, I am always surprised how many in Canada have never even heard of it. Everywhere you look there are courts.

Here in rural areas, up in the Pyrenees, you have these companies putting courts in tiny villages, closed courts like storage lockers attached to industrrial buildings or gyms, with windows; you reserve with an app, playing a set fee, enter with a code. No staff. They may heat while you are playing if it is cold out, and you play 30m, an hour.

Yep this is exactly how it is in Finland (industrial buildings, use an app etc). I believe a Spaniard has popularized it here.

Fasting growing sport in Northern Europe I believe. 

I also had the same thoughts regarding Canada. I was thinking that it could be a good business opportunity as it’s such a fun game and the skill-level for it to be fun isn’t too high (which is the issue with tennis imo).

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is this a miss??? A Usports kid that played with Rovers and has since been bouncing around 2nd tier Finland.  We dont even know if he is interested in playing for Canada let alone at age 27 if he would ever be good enough to get a look.  He didnt raise any eyebrows as a youth player..I'm not sure what CSA missed.  He was on this board and CDN abroad etc, I dont think we need to lose any sleep over this.  

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Is this a miss??? A Usports kid that played with Rovers and has since been bouncing around 2nd tier Finland.  We dont even know if he is interested in playing for Canada let alone at age 27 if he would ever be good enough to get a look.  He didnt raise any eyebrows as a youth player..I'm not sure what CSA missed.  He was on this board and CDN abroad etc, I dont think we need to lose any sleep over this.  

Guy basically playing League 1 Ontario in Finland is definitely not a miss for any of our youth national teams and of course senior men’s team.

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Is an example of the CSA missing or Canadian missing knowing about this player? When does it become concerning when player is missed? Of course, tit seems that his fellow has played mostly college ball so far.

100% not a miss by CSA. He has scored 3 goals in 17 games at the PDL level. We have loads of equal/better/younger players who are waaay higher than him in the depth charts. Maybe a top 50 striker for canada but not much more....

Now your just being a troll Javierf.  He played 7 times at Haka then back to 3rd tier Finn ball where he did well and then now is 2nd tier again.  Ike Ugbo didnt get into a game for Canada last year and he is in the Eng CHampionship, lately L1 and Belgian top flight, and still only 25.   How about we work him into the line up before we throw hail marys out to lower level fins.  

7 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Is an example of the CSA missing or Canadian missing knowing about this player? When does it become concerning when player is missed? Of course, tit seems that his fellow has played mostly college ball so far.

You are right that this player is not a miss. I guess I am more wondering about how and when a player becomes a miss. (Back to the scouting thing?) Sorry for the clumsy wording. 

15 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

How many goals does he have so far this season ?  

How many forwards at decent level in Europe? If the guy performs just try the guy as for Bustos in Denmark.

David 

Larin 

You aren’t believable whatsoever as a troll. Please stop