2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

59 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Paging @kacbru

I'll get the CFL to change a century of history regarding field size when you get soccer to use stop time so people don't lie on the field faking injury, killing off the clock.

You also might want to check the ownership of some CPL teams and see who was risking money there on a totally new venture, before shitting on the CFL.

You might also want to check who owns the "CFL stadiums" and realize without the CFL they likely wouldn't have been built without the CFL. 

Jeez - I happen to agree with you 100%.  Huh - who would've thought there could be a misunderstanding on the internet.

55 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Well I tried to make a joke, but it backfired spectacularly😀

Once you invoked an unnamed but an implied  "destroyer". I was like " yep, I violated something".  CFL-related, and deserved.  But I very much appreciate the soft-ish rebuke.

All in all, I got off easy.  <<<In fact, this gave me the biggest laugh I have had for a bit.  thank you board for not flaming me outright and leaving a path to humour!>>>

Edited by eramosat
laughing

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The puto chant seems completely inconsequential compared to the massacre that occurred yesterday.  I would urge anyone not to look up the videos and pictures unless you have a strong stomach.  The worst football violence I've ever seen.

The strong stomach comment is an understatement. I felt sick to my stomach watching some of those videos. There's also a clip of there Quaratero fans first breach the Atlas area where a guard/cop/someone can blatantly be seen unlocking it. Absolutely horrific shit.

Also seeing so many news networks reporting no deaths, while others are reporting 17+... terrible terrible stuff

28 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Would have thought security at Ligue MX matches would be pretty serious.  Not serious enough yesterday apparently.  Ug. 

From what I've been reading and seeing, the "police' were part of it.  There's a video on twitter of a police/security officer opening a gate and waving through the Queretaro fans to get at the Atlas fans.  Another with a police/security officer with his back turned to the mayhem.  Other than that, there was no police or security to speak of. 

26 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

From what I've been reading and seeing, the "police' were part of it.  There's a video on twitter of a police/security officer opening a gate and waving through the Queretaro fans to get at the Atlas fans.  Another with a police/security officer with his back turned to the mayhem.  Other than that, there was no police or security to speak of. 

Yes, one of the Videos i saw showed people with shirts saying K9 squad - private security, being perpetrators.   From all the videos I saw, most (if not all) of the egregious acts seemed to be being carried out by ppl wearing blue.   I dont know how reliable the videos are.  Or who shot the videos.

PS.: Blue are the home side (Queretaro).   

Edit.;  I also find it deplorable that the official reports so far are stating that there are no deaths.   what I just saw on twitter,  was two ppl who couldn't possibly have survived after watching what i saw.  

Edited by Free kick

I love Mexican people and culture so this really had me bummed out. Let's be straight up.. this is not a Fifa or football problem.

This is a culture problem. That country has a lot going for itself and it needs to take a long look in the mirror because what I saw yesterday was savage. Left me completely shocked and I'm not easily shocked. Fifa should do nothing, this is for the Mexican people to figure out

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I love Mexican people and culture so this really had me bummed out. Let's be straight up.. this is not a Fifa or football problem.

This is a culture problem. That country has a lot going for itself and it needs to take a long look in the mirror because what I saw yesterday was savage. Left me completely shocked and I'm not easily shocked. Fifa should do nothing, this is for the Mexican people to figure out

Same sentiment expressed by Jon Arnold of getting concacaf'ed.

The horrible cocktail of alcohol, machismo and a misplaced feeling of identity in ‘protecting’ your barra, your city or your region so often has terrible results. We can’t pretend our sport doesn’t sometimes ferment and even encourage many of these feelings.

But it also spills over from the violence Mexicans live with as a society, violence that often comes from a place of powerlessness, from frustration with the system, from feeling there is a lack of options when it comes to finding a job or keeping your family safe.

The police? They weren’t there, with only woefully under-prepared private security, another echo of so many Mexicans’ experience.

It's why you can't separate sports from the rest of society or least of all politics. It's always been there but for some, it wasn't evident in the past since it matched their worldview and so it appeared to be seamlessly intertwined. 

Arnold: ..you can’t have sports without politics. Games like soccer often do provide a beautiful distraction from frustration, from fear, from the difficulties of everyday routine that so often can weigh us down.

Yet trying to separate sports from what is happening around us, removing them from the context of ‘real life’ is a fool’s errand, like trying to take two eggs out of a birthday cake. Once it’s all whipped in, there’s no separating the strands.

https://getconcacafed.substack.com/p/-scenes-of-violence-in-queretaro?s=r

Competition impact is more immediately on club competitions. MLS is now in bed with ligaMX via Leagues Cup where Queretaro is directly involved. 

Edited by red card

6 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The puto chant seems completely inconsequential compared to the massacre that occurred yesterday.  I would urge anyone not to look up the videos and pictures unless you have a strong stomach.  The worst football violence I've ever seen.

Not according to espn

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Absolutely shocking from the media. People wonder why there is distrust in the media. Blatant lies and misinformation? I can barely look at this site because it's addiction to social commentary and none football football topics but doesn't their website look a little off at the moment 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Not according to espn

Is there a specific op-ed or video clip you can point to that backs up your claim, or are you just making this up as usual?

I'm genuinely trying to figure out what your beef is with the current layout of the website.

ESPN.png

This is pretty disturbing stuff.  I didnt want to post it.   But after some fucking idiot above posted that FIFA shouldnt take any action, some other extremist conspiracy crap, and racist crap i had no choice.

https://twitter.com/AshawoSeazon/status/1500344004562534405?s=20&t=oxTFSzABeHFlbRHkC9v6Ww

Edited by Free kick

24 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This is pretty disturbing stuff.  I didnt want to post it.   But after some fucking idiot above posted that FIFA shouldnt take any action, some other extremist conspiracy crap, and racist crap i had no choice.

https://twitter.com/AshawoSeazon/status/1500344004562534405?s=20&t=oxTFSzABeHFlbRHkC9v6Ww

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fight outbreak at the Atlas vs Querétaro game 18 people confirmed dead..🤦‍♂️ <a href="https://t.co/kZgWUC79RY">pic.twitter.com/kZgWUC79RY</a></p>&mdash; Ashawo Season 💫💫 (@AshawoSeazon) <a href="https://twitter.com/AshawoSeazon/status/1500344004562534405?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 6, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Amazing, we are witnessing primordial truth in its rawest form. I can't wait to see the return match at Guadalajara. Some revenge and reprisals are warranted. 

tom hardy bane GIF

1 hour ago, RS said:

Is there a specific op-ed or video clip you can point to that backs up your claim, or are you just making this up as usual?

I'm genuinely trying to figure out what your beef is with the current layout of the website.

ESPN.png

1 hour ago, RS said:

ESPN.png

The point is there is next to no opt ed or anything. What are you supporting this behavior or just brushing it off as football culture? You think this is cool?

I think after watching some of the clips posted do you think perhaps ESPN is kinda underplaying the situation. They're also insisting no deaths but there have been lots of local reports and and eye witness accounts saying otherwise. It's not like LigaMX is on the other side of the planet. ESPNfc dedicates tons of space and energy to ligamx 

Edited by SpursFlu

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions