Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

He seems to have fallen off the radar at SU.  He went from some sub appearances, to being nailed to the bench, to not making the 18 today.   He doesn’t seem to be injured so it looks like he has just lost his spot.   Not encouraging.   Along with Kone losing his starting spot (and not looking like he is getting on the field today), it has been a rough patch for our guys in the Championship.  

On 3/11/2023 at 12:55 PM, dyslexic nam said:

He seems to have fallen off the radar at SU.  He went from some sub appearances, to being nailed to the bench, to not making the 18 today.   He doesn’t seem to be injured so it looks like he has just lost his spot.   Not encouraging.   Along with Kone losing his starting spot (and not looking like he is getting on the field today), it has been a rough patch for our guys in the Championship.  

Jokes on you - he is back in the starting line up.   

Just for a little context regarding the risk of Jebbison getting called up to England's senior team: Ivan Toney has just earned his first England cap at the age of 27 in a season where he has 16 goals in 24 PL games. Last year he had 12 goals in 33 in the PL, and the year before that he had 31 goals in 45 games in the Championship.

I think it's fair to say that the gap between what would constitute a Canada call-up and what constitutes a senior England call-up is absolutely massive. I've been saying this for a year or two now but Jebbo is 100% going to play for Canada, just a matter of when.

Edited by frmr

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

England U20 roster drops tomorrow, I expect that he will be there.

The question is does he try and get England U21 caps or does he switch right away? 🤔

If I had to guess, I would say he commits in 2024-2025. This way he can continue to get minutes with England youth teams while he's still on the bubble with Canada, but that would still give him time to cement his place with Canada before WC2026.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

As long as he's not clearly one of our top 3 strikers I'm happy to have him continue with the England youth teams.

I think I’m fine swapping him for Ugbo at this point.

also, how is it that Jebbison was able to get his hand tattooed during a season?? Kid misses like two games and comes back with a serious piece on his hand. Feel like you do that in the off-season, since you can’t really run around with an exposed, swollen hand during a 90 minute game, lol.

46 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

What’s the difference between their U20 vs. U21? Is the former something of a “B” squad?

It's just all part of the pyramid. The sole difference is the age group. U21 is players 23 and younger.
It is above the U20 team. 

If a player is eligible for both, but good enough (ahead of development) they would put them on the older team. 
Rico Lewis the 18yo RB at Man City is an example. 

Jebbi isn't better than Balgoun, Gibbs White, Palmer, or Madueke.

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

It's just all part of the pyramid. The sole difference is the age group. U21 is players 23 and younger.

If a player is eligible for both, but good enough (ahead of development) they would put them on the older team. 

Also the U20 team would be the one sent to the WC since FIFA doesn't do "U21" or U19" like UEFA.

47 minutes ago, Shway said:

Oh right, the U21 only has to be 21 and under before the start of the qual period, so you can be up to 23. Wasn't sure if U20 was the "reserves" for the U21 of sorts.

Yeah Jebbo is way below Balogun. Balogun is 3 goals behind David in Ligue 1, there's probably a smaller gap between Balogun and the senior team than there is between Jebbison and him. Glad that we don't have to deal with what the US is with Balogun, that's a player you don't want to slip between your fingers.

34 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Balogun is as American as David. The US don't really have much of a claim on either, so can't be too upset if they play for their actual home nations.

Balogun has had a tremendous year in France. Both surprised Southgate hasn't called him into the main squad but also not surprised as it's almost a rule to not pick players outside of the big 6, let alone out of the country. Toney is likely soon to be banned so also a bit weird he is picked. I expect Balogun will return to Arsenal and feature next year. They would be crazy to sell him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...