Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

What is the debacle you are referencing?

Right before the World Cup friendlies, someone noticed that Jebbo unfollowed England on Instagram and twitter and started following Canada soccer. There were stories around the same time that we were close at getting him to switch, but once the story caught legs in Canada, England immediately called him up to their U23s, and those rumors died down. I think he may have also removed an England flag from his bio as well.

It was mostly just a lesson for him that he needs to keep his social media on lock because liking or unfollowing a page is a massive deal to a lot of people.

49 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think it's normal for the agent to be purely focused on the business side of things and to look at the bigger picture, while the player focuses on playing, and the more emotional side of the game. An 18 year old kid can say that he wants to play for Canada to make his dad proud, or because Herdman offered him minutes at the world cup or whatever, whereas the agent can go back to him and tell him that actually, he will earn more money and opportunity if he stays with england, and then he can point to several late bloomers who played at similar levels to Jebbo at the same age, and who eventually cracked the ENGNT, and how that benefited their club situation.

It's the same as if your boyhood club is Arsenal, and you would run through broken glass to play for them, but your agent was able to secure a much better offer from Chelsea. You'll want to get that offer from Arsenal, but your agent's job is to explain to you that your career and bank account will greatly benefit from going to Chelsea, and since those are the most important factors in professional sports, I understand where he would be conflicted.

I can appreciate him being conflicted too, I just think it doesn't have to be pinned on the agent if that's what is going on. It's Jebbison's decision at the end of the day. And to use your example, if your boyhood club is Arsenal (Canada), but Chelsea (England) are giving you a better offer opportunity to ultimately sign with them......

Also, he's closer to 20 than 18 now. He's no longer the 18 year old kid you describe. The idea of youth football for England made a lot more sense when he was 18 than it does at 20.

The whole Jebbison social media thing wasn't a fluke. Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the whole reason the September window roster was delayed was because Jebbison at last minute decided to pull out (of making the one time switch). He was going to get the whole social media pomp and circumstance, à la Ugbo and Eustaquio, but that had to be cancelled obviously. I'm pretty sure this was mentioned by both Galindo and AGR, in not so many words.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I can appreciate him being conflicted too, I just think it doesn't have to be pinned on the agent if that's what is going on. It's Jebbison's decision at the end of the day. And to use your example, if your boyhood club is Arsenal (Canada), but Chelsea (England) are giving you a better offer opportunity to ultimately sign with them......

Also, he's closer to 20 than 18 now. He's no longer the 18 year old kid you describe. The idea of youth football for England made a lot more sense when he was 18 than it does at 20.

I think it's less about playing youth football and more about the fact that his agent is probably telling him he has a legitimate chance of one day playing for England's senior team, and the fact that England is a "World Cup contender".

He can point to the England roster- Harry Maguire played for Sheffield (League One) until he was 21, and played his first full premier league season at 23. Kalvin Phillips first played in the premier league at 25, and made his England debut at that age (one of 3 players who was called up before his prem debut!). These two are guys that played at the world cup, and Maguire was obviously heavily used. Ivan Toney is 26 and was only recently called up, and he's playing out of his mind. Since it's normal for players to think that they're that special talent that is gonna go all the way, I don't think it's hard to convince Jebbison that he's a few years away from playing with England. He goes to Dortmund, plays two years there, and then goes to Chelsea at 22 for 75M GBP, and all of a sudden he's England's Next Best Thing.

I just think that at the end of the day, players do what's going to improve their career most. There are very few, if any, opportunities in soccer that are better for your career and your sponsorships than playing for England.

6 minutes ago, Güerito said:

The whole Jebbison social media thing wasn't a fluke. Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the whole reason the September window roster was delayed was because Jebbison at last minute decided to pull out (of making the one time switch). He was going to get the whole social media pomp and circumstance, à la Ugbo and Eustaquio, but that had to be cancelled obviously. I'm pretty sure this was mentioned by both Galindo and AGR, in not so many words.

I think that last minute pull out was Mitrovic, no?

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think it's less about playing youth football and more about the fact that his agent is probably telling him he has a legitimate chance of one day playing for England's senior team, and the fact that England is a "World Cup contender".

Which goes back to my concerns about Jebbison holding out until later in the cycle, or dare I say next cycle. He'll still be 24 at the start of the 2030 WC cycle. This is why I put nothing into this so-called interest he has in Canada. Doesn't mean anything until he declares and pretending like the agent is the problem is making excuses for Jebbison (not accusing you of that -just speaking generally)

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think Mitrovic was ever that close

Yeah, the whole story there was that Canada was close, he was filling out his paper work, and Serbia came through at the last minute and gave him a "big offer". Pretty sure even his Dad more or less confirmed it too.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Which goes back to my concerns about Jebbison holding out until later in the cycle, or dare I say next cycle. He'll still be 24 at the start of the 2030 WC cycle. This is why I put nothing into this so-called interest he has in Canada. Doesn't mean anything until he declares and pretending like the agent is the problem is making excuses for Jebbison (not accusing you of that -just speaking generally)

Oh yeah, that I agree with. I think he's close enough in the England orbit that he has no business giving up on them any time soon. If we're a top 25 nation by 2026, we have a good shot at getting out of our group, he could theoretically slot in as our second striker next to David (assuming Larin is on the decline and Ugbo is out of the picture) for a home field world cup... maybe that sways him, but even if he commits to england sometime after 2026 and before the 2030 WC, he'd still have about ~a decade to play for England, and could theoretically play for 2 world cups, if not 3 (will be freshly 35 in 2038).

Interest means little. I'm sure Davies had "interest" in repping Liberia, because that would be a cool story, or JD had "interest" in repping the US, because they reached out to him and they have a good squad, or even Haiti, but if you ask either player what that interest was like, I'm sure they'd tell you it amounted to a few conversations and some discussions with his agent, but that both guys were always going to play for Canada.

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

U18s , U19s and U20s yes, but U23s ?!?

I missed that one. Link please.

Whatever Youth team he was called to a few months ago. U20?

3 hours ago, Shway said:

He’s 19 and still eligible to play for Englands U20 at the WC this year, or their U21 at the Euros.

If he gets snubbed by both those teams, I could see him making a switch.
But since those both are highly unlikely, we will have to wait till his youth playing days are over.

As I mentioned in the NL thread, it seems to me that his youth playing days could potentially be stretched as far as 2025 (unless I am missing something)

The cut off for 2023 Euros is apparently birth date 2000 (weird I know), so the birth date for 2025 euros would be 2002. Jebbison is born 2003.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

The cut off for 2023 Euros is apparently birth date 2000 (weird I know), so the birth date for 2025 euros would be 2002. Jebbison is born 2003.

As I understand, unlike most other youth competitions the age eligibility for the Euro U21s isn't based on the year of the competition finals but rather than the year when the qualifications begin. That usually starts shortly after the previous edition so it's almost a 2 year process. That effectively makes the finals a U23 tournament.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

As I mentioned in the NL thread, it seems to me that his youth playing days could potentially be stretched as far as 2025 (unless I am missing something)

Also last year was his last year of elligiblity for the U-19 Euros which is held every year. (This year's cut off in Jan 2004). 

I mentioned after that tournament that aside from the u20 World Cup, a lot of the really highly touted English kids are not put in the u20s but go straight to the u21s. So often the u-20 World Cup team did not play a lot of actual u20 ball. (For instance, when England won the u-20 World Cup in 2017, Ugbo was playing friendlies for another England u20 team during the same window.)

Worth also remembering Jebbison started one friendly in the 7 appearances he had with the u19s. 

We will see where his current form lands him.

6 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Jebbison begins his three-match suspension today, so no surprise he's missing from the Sheffield United squad vs Rotherham. 

How his suspension wasn’t overturned is beyond me? There must have been something I missed in the replays for Sheffield not to have appealed the red and it having been overturned. 

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

They didn't want to risk an additional seven games being added if the appeal was found to be frivolous. 

I know the potential issues with an appeal but when there doesn’t appear (from what I’ve seen) any violent conduct, that surely can’t be considered frivolous. There must be one angle I haven’t seen where Jebbison appears to swing at the defender or something. 

1 minute ago, maccaliam said:

I know the potential issues with an appeal but when there doesn’t appear (from what I’ve seen) any violent conduct, that surely can’t be considered frivolous. There must be one angle I haven’t seen where Jebbison appears to swing at the defender or something. 

The coaching staff said there was not enough evidence for them to confidently disprove the fourth official's call. 

chrome_screenshot_1675523653738.thumb.png.66932ecdbeb88768284e221c508cd755.png

Source:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-reach-daniel-jebbison-appeal-decision-after-controversial-wrexham-red-card-4012295

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

Watching the game live on Sportsnet, the very first replay angle showed him kicking out the leg of the Wrexham player in the far distance of the shot. It wasn't very aggressive but he did kick his feet from behind. Not quite sure why they didn't reshow that shot afterwards, but it must be what Sheffield saw looking for evidence.

• 3 weeks later...