2020 CPL Island Games

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

You seem real but hurt for something really menial. Maybe you should stick to hockey, or try nascar...trust me you won’t be offended there.

What an ignorant comment. You’re basically saying you don’t agree with me, so go away’. 

So much for tolerance and inclusion. 

Edited by Ams1984
Spelling

36 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I thought the whole objective here was to create something Canadian and separateourselvesfrom the United States. Why not create our own anti racism campaign if the league felt necessary. Because no matter how you feel about that organization at least we can all agree things are getting pretty weird down there. 

To my mind, it seems as though the BLM movement has evolved into something a lot bigger than the originating US movement.  I'd suggest that I'm not alone in that impression,  the teams of the English Premier League seems to think so as well.  And quite rightly.  Plenty of sin to recognize. 

Racism, sectarianism and nationalism have poisoned football from the cradle .  So, I think it understandable if the larger international community embraces the BLM movement, each in their own fashion and for their own purposes, in recognizing wrongs with the wish for a better future.

All that being said, FIFA which has given lip service to anti discrimination and anti racism programs for decades awarded the World Cup Finals to Qatar.  Where they'll throw you in prison for being homosexual. 

T-shirts available on Amazon.  Cheap, cheap!      

5 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

What an ignorant comment. You’re basically saying you don’t agree with me, so go away’. 

The CPL has decided that they want to publicly support BLM and that certain things should no longer be tolerated.  The players have been vocal about it.  You are the one who is offended by it.  You can either embrace it, accept it or you can choose to watch a league that better reflects your politics.  But the choice is entirely yours.

Don't shoot the messenger but I think the disconnect here is that people including people of all races feel like the BLM movement in truth has very little to do with black people. I'm not saying its not a good cause at face value and that some people's hearts aren't in the right place. For me it feels really American and I prefer a Canadian approach to problems 

I just point this out so people can have a fuller view of the situation 

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m saying if you don’t like seeing the message, than change the channel.....but nice of you to avoid everything else. 

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Don't shoot the messenger but I think the disconnect here is that people including people of all races feel like the BLM movement in truth has very little to do with black people. I'm not saying its not a good cause at face value and that some people's hearts aren't in the right place. For me it feels really American and I prefer a Canadian approach to problems 

I just point this out so people can have a fuller view of the situation 

If I could summarize -- MTV vs. MuchMusic?😀

13 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Enjoyed the first week of the tournament though! It is a big venture and everyone has pulled together to provide something that is putting a smile on fans faces! 

I look forward to all the fans ******** about the earlier start times now ******** about how the later ones clash with the MLS games! 

Bring on week 2!

It is certainly a welcomed reprieve from the humdrum of lockdown life. The quality of play seems to be really good so far. 

It's early but already Forge and Cavalry look like they're on a collision course to battle it out for this championship. Both clubs have a core/culture that is unmatched by the other 6 clubs - these teams don't like to lose and they've added good pieces. Man for man I wouldn't even say either club is the most talented in the league but they have a drive and cohesiveness that will push them to the top.

Haber to Cavalry was a nice piece of business. He underachieved last season but coming into the Cavalry culture I think he's going to thrive. Just a year ago he was the most coveted forward in the league and they've probably got him for cheap as a result of an off year. Farsi looks like a stud as well.

Same goes for Forge with Babouli, Sabak and Tissot.

They are both controlling games while all the other teams seem to be figuring themselves out. The culture and consistency gives them a huge head start. Could still get interesting by the second round where the other two clubs joining Forge and Cavalry should be starting to hit their groove. Whether they can catch up enough to pull off a shock remains to be seen. The 2nd round robin game between Forge and Cavalry could be big if they don't draw.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

They are both controlling games while all the other teams seem to be figuring themselves out. The culture and consistency gives them a huge head start. Could still get interesting by the second round where the other two clubs joining Forge and Cavalry should be starting to hit their groove. Whether they can catch up enough to pull off a shock remains to be seen. The 2nd round robin game between Forge and Cavalry could be big if they don't draw.

Any of the 3 MLS teams is going to have a tough time in the V Cup final against these two as well. They're just not like anything you would find in MLS ... they're like facing a good League Two side.  No supreme talents but very equal, hard working and play effective football.

On 8/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Any of the 3 MLS teams is going to have a tough time in the V Cup final against these two as well. They're just not like anything you would find in MLS ... they're like facing a good League Two side.  No supreme talents but very equal, hard working and play effective football.

Leave TFC out of that “any” group.

They are clearly a class above the rest. The other two are glorified CPL teams, and since TFC will eventually win these game. It’ll be hard for a CPL team in the super cup.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Leave TFC out of that “any” group.

They are clearly a class above the rest. The other two are glorified CPL teams, and since TFC will eventually win these game. It’ll be hard for a CPL team in the super cup.

I don’t disagree with this.  TFC will win the right to rep MLS in the V Cup finals, and while anything can happen in a cup game, I just don’t see the CPL side being able to compete given the gulf in player talent/budget.  Still really looking forward to it - and hopefully the CPL team surprises me - but I will be pretty surprised if someone other than TFC win it all when the dust settles.  

With most teams now having played twice, it's interesting to see how people would rank the sides. The initial consensus was that Forge and Cavalry were a cut above, with York and Pacific likeliest to go through along with them. Do people still feel that way?

Personally, I have Cavalry tops, then Forge, then a third tier of all the remaining teams except Ottawa, who are last. It's really tough for me to get a read on my Valour squad, with them having been clearly second best against the top side, and then outclassing Ottawa, who looked every bit the expansion side that they are.

Edited by jonovision

So, one week in and we have 24 goals scored and 24 different goal scorers, including Own Goal.  Pretty impressive...

@jonovisionI have Forge and Cavalry as 1A and 1B.  Pacific looks like they may break through as the first team to challenge them. HFX and Valour looked better their second game. I'd put Edmonton with them depending on how they play against Cavalry, but the Eddies weren't bad against Forge.  York9 mystifies me, with the talent on paper I thought they would look better, so I have them only ahead of Ottawa, who really can't afford to play with 10 men when they still don't know each other.