2020 CPL Island Games

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Stopped by UPEI today to scout out a spot to try and watch some games live.  Not sure if it will be possible but I will give it a try.  

Valour was getting a bit of practice time in while I was there.  Work was also underway to get the broadcasting infrastructure set up.   

3A8CA4C7-502B-4128-A5A4-486A6FB18545.jpeg

515802DA-2831-40C4-8DE6-8ABFD44EE0D9.jpeg

That's an interesting light set up

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think they went totally overboard on that front.

They better have the on demand games up way faster now.

That I 1000% agree. The on demand has to be MUCH faster.

I dont like it either but I understand why. There's just no way to expect casuals to drop NHL or NBA playoffs on primetime for CPL. I love the league but that's just not happening.

This is COVID anomaly because normally, those 2 leagues would be over and that's the best time they could come up with to avoid them. Heck, I love the league but there's no way in hell it comes before Barca vs Bayern.

@Ansem I think it would be smarter for them to avoid working hours than to avoid NHL/NBA. I would miss any NHL game for a York 9 game, and most NBA games (unimportant York 9 game vs elimination game or finals game for Raptors would be a tough decision, probably resulting in dual screens. But a weekday game at 1 or 2 o’clock and I am at the mercy of my coworkers/meeting schedule. And I am a guy with flexibility in my work schedule and working from home. If it is tough for me to see almost half of my teams games, who exactly are they going to get to watch these games? And I would have loved to watch as many non-York 9 games as possible. It looks like 3 such games are potentially possible, maybe a couple more on weekend afternoons, depending on my family.

52 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

A good read. Too bad he spelled Valour wrong. The logo was right under the header, which made it more obvious lol

The times are all over the place. It's going to be a chore figuring out when I'll be free to watch. 

Edited by Trois Reds

1 hour ago, Kent said:

@Ansem I think it would be smarter for them to avoid working hours than to avoid NHL/NBA. I would miss any NHL game for a York 9 game, and most NBA games (unimportant York 9 game vs elimination game or finals game for Raptors would be a tough decision, probably resulting in dual screens. But a weekday game at 1 or 2 o’clock and I am at the mercy of my coworkers/meeting schedule. And I am a guy with flexibility in my work schedule and working from home. If it is tough for me to see almost half of my teams games, who exactly are they going to get to watch these games? And I would have loved to watch as many non-York 9 games as possible. It looks like 3 such games are potentially possible, maybe a couple more on weekend afternoons, depending on my family.

There's an update about Onesoccer 

The results below shows why the league took the decision they took. They probably knew that fans wouldn't like it but they'd still watch.

The goal of any business is growth and going against NHL & NBA playoffs is a sure way to fail attracting more casuals or any media attention.

I'm in the "frustrated" category but I understand the "why" and I'll still be watching.

Edited by Ansem

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

There's an update about Onesoccer 

The results below shows why the league took the decision they took. They probably knew that fans wouldn't like it but they'd still watch.

The goal of any business is growth and going against NHL & NBA playoffs is a sure way to fail attracting more casuals or any media attention.

I'm in the "frustrated" category but I understand the "why" and I'll still be watching.

They won't be gaining casual fans in the afternoon.

Maybe if they were on a traditional network. But they aren't.

Never fuck with your hard-core fans

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

They won't be gaining casual fans in the afternoon.

Maybe if they were on a traditional network. But they aren't.

Never **** with your hard-core fans

They can this Saturday if the games are on CBC as planned.

There won't be MLS, CFL, Raptors or Canadian NHL teams playing during that time. 

Not that I think they will convert that many but they might get some to buy into Onesoccer knowing that they can access the games whenever without having to choose between Champions League, Raptors or NHL playoffs 

I'm annoyed too, just saying that I understand the logic behind it

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

There won't be MLS, CFL, Raptors or Canadian NHL teams playing during that time. 

Not that I think they will convert that many but they might get some to buy into Onesoccer knowing that they can access the games whenever without having to choose between Champions League, Raptors or NHL playoffs 

Its the afternoon weekday games that are stupid.

Sorry but the logic is wack.

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Stopped by UPEI today to scout out a spot to try and watch some games live.  Not sure if it will be possible but I will give it a try.  

Valour was getting a bit of practice time in while I was there.  Work was also underway to get the broadcasting infrastructure set up.   

3A8CA4C7-502B-4128-A5A4-486A6FB18545.jpeg

515802DA-2831-40C4-8DE6-8ABFD44EE0D9.jpeg

Looks like a budget MLS is back. Presuming we wont actually see that side though and will see the stands, which will look a bit better. 

Yeah, I kind of doubt they will attract many casual fans that accidentally ordered OneSoccer, have nothing to do on weekday afternoons, but absolutely will only watch live games at that time rather than recordings.

Good news about the replays though!

I thought from some aerial shots there were stands on the other side. Upon further inspection there are. Just tiny ones! Edit. Upon even further inspection I thought they were using the middle of the Track and Field. I am not even looking at the right pictures! 😒🤪

Edited by toontownman

1st.  YEAH!

2nd.  WTF?  I'm the last one you'll ever find advocating against Day Drinking but seriously?  Wee bit of advise.  If you pay for a market study and get a result you didn't want, go with the recommendations from the study anyway.  

3rd.  Yes.  Good.  Get the matches up and available if not immediately after the final whistle then pretty damned close.  Was a real failing with OneSoccer last year.  Glad to see that shortcoming is being addressed.

4th.  Two out of three ain't bad.   

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why do they even need lights to play afternoon games

It is a matter of broadcast quality, it raises the quality of the image. It also ensures that if you have a cloudy day you fill in, or if you have sharp shadows (which won't likely be the case much as there is no stand looming over the field), you can fill in the darker areas more readily. 

I was trying to look at the field position, pointing north by north-east, to figure out if it might have affected game times. 

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

They actually scheduled Cavalry v. HFX against the Championship League final on Aug. 23.

Both matches start at 3pm ET

Edited by narduch