2020 CPL Island Games

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

I go back to one of my earlier statements, wherein I suggested that the use of a more neutral slogan or mantra such as “no to racism” or “equality” would’ve been perfectly apolitical and fine by me. You can’t really separate BLM the truism from BLM the political organization. Conceptually, sure, but the slogan and logo they used is pretty clearly the same as the one used by the political movement. 

I’m not going to spend much more time arguing this with you because you’ve already made up your mind, but the fact that it makes you uncomfortable and pissed off is entirely the point.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

I’m not going to spend much more time arguing this with you because you’ve already made up your mind, but the fact that it makes you uncomfortable and pissed off is entirely the point.

Pointlessly piss off fans? Sounds like a shit business model to me.

Maybe that’s the point of political activism, but it shouldn’t be the point of the CPL. 

7 minutes ago, kacbru said:

1) No, we don't vote on social norms.  They are constantly changing, sometimes slowly, sometimes more quickly.

2) I don't think it is hyper partisan.  The fact that it is appearing in a CPL game is encouraging that it is becoming normalized.

What social norms though? Supporting a specific radical political organization? That hardly qualifies as a social norm. Maybe if they had said “no to racism” or “equality”, sure. And btw, I’d be fine with that. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

So, “Make America Great Again” pinned (poorly) to the centre of the soccer field wouldn’t have caused a reaction for you, eh? Cool. 

BLM is politics. American politics at that. It’s no different than slapping MAGA on the centre field. 

BLM is not just American politics, that’s ridiculous.

I thought the whole objective here was to create something Canadian and separateourselvesfrom the United States. Why not create our own anti racism campaign if the league felt necessary. Because no matter how you feel about that organization at least we can all agree things are getting pretty weird down there. 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

I thought the whole objective here was to create something Canadian and separateourselvesfrom the United States. Why not create our own anti racism campaign if the league felt necessary. Because no matter how you feel about that organization at least we can all agree things are getting pretty weird down there. 

That would be fine by me. 

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You do understand it has broader meaning than that right?

The statement “black lives matter” is a truism. No sane person disputes it. The organization is not. The problem is, you can’t very well use an organization’s slogan and not expect conflation. Why not instead use our own slogan? The CPL could’ve done something like what the NHL did; I believe I saw banners reading something like “we skate for black lives”. I would’ve suggested something unique and ours. 

Just now, Ams1984 said:

The statement “black lives matter” is a truism. No sane person disputes it. The organization is not. The problem is, you can’t very well use an organization’s slogan and not expect conflation. Why not instead use our own slogan? The CPL could’ve done something like what the NHL did; I believe I saw banners reading something like “we skate for black lives”. I would’ve suggested something unique and ours. 

Fair enough. I however don’t question the CPL or it’s players for expressing themselves in this way.

As others have stated, you’re entitled to your opinion, I don’t agree with it and that’s okay. I’m not interested in discussing this any further.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Fair enough. I however don’t question the CPL or it’s players for expressing themselves in this way.

As others have stated, you’re entitled to your opinion, I don’t agree with it and that’s okay. I’m not interested in discussing this any further.

Cool, have a good night. 

For a lot of people, sports is another form of escapism. I can certainly sympathize with anyone that isn't happy at their escapist pastime reminding us of some of the political or real world issues or troubles that people watch sports for as an escape from in the first place. I think everyone respects the players right to protest or express themselves but the "corporate" banners that are so large and prominent as to be distracting the viewer from being able to watch the game perhaps belong in a different category altogether. I mean imagine if those CGI banners were actually there on the field at that size, they would each be what, 10 feet tall? 12 feet perhaps? For people who watch for escapism reasons, I can see why those banners being that "in your face" would actually be counter- productive to the cause in question. 

Edited by Gian-Luca

44 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Have a look at the guy's posting history. He's thrown tantrums in the past about 'politics' getting involved in football. However, it's only a certain flavour of politics that triggers him, since he's never affected when the politics that he clearly agrees with, but is too much of a pussy to own up to straight up, is espoused on the board. Terrible hypocrite.

Bullshit. I don’t care what politics it is, I don’t think it belongs in soccer. 

People are happy to stare at corporation logos, support clubs owned by divisive or questionable characters and corruption to the highest point of football. Speaks volumes whether political or not this can be jarring while so much else we are conditioned to isn't.  

Racism is one of the most abhorrent constructs and subsequent conditions of humanity. I understand the view of 'keep politics out of football' and that some people also want to escape from a world embroiled in it. Football can be viewed as an escape. Maybe that speaks more to our privilege that we can get an escape that others don't. 

This is a problem bigger than the game and ourselves, a problem that has been increasingly reinforced as acceptable, if not actively encouraged in parts of the world the past few years. It is not just about a simple message but about supporting and making CPL players, coaches, staff or supporters feel accepted and safe when clearly if you just look at the York 9 video players are holding back on so much. To say nothing would be irresponsible not only as a message to the public but the leagues players. It is not there to ram down peoples throats that already feel they know but to say this is not acceptable and has no place in football or anywhere else in society. That it needs to be said so visibly echoes the reality of the problem.  

This stuff should likely be kept in a general chat forum though to keep this on track! 

Edited by toontownman

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

So you say...🙄

Show me an example of the CPL espousing classical liberal (my) politics. 

BTW, if they did, I’d have condemned it too. It just happens that you don’t see Libertarians, Liberals, Conservatives, or basically any other political group, shoving their partisan shit in every orifice of society.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

People are happy to stare at corporation logos, support clubs owned by divisive or questionable characters and corruption to the highest point of football. Speaks volumes whether political or not this can be jarring while so much else we are conditioned to isn't.  

Racism is one of the most abhorrent constructs and subsequent conditions of humanity. I understand the view of 'keep politics out of football' and that some people also want to escape from a world embroiled in it. Football can be viewed as an escape. Maybe that speaks more to our privilege that we can get an escape that others don't. 

This is a problem bigger than the game and ourselves, a problem that and has been increasingly reinforced as acceptable, if not actively encouraged in parts of the world the past few years. It is not just about a simple message but about supporting and making CPL players, coaches, staff or supporters feel accepted and safe when clearly if you just look at the York 9 video players are holding back on so much. To say nothing would be irresponsible not only as a message to the public but the leagues players. It is not there to ram down peoples throats that already feel they know but to say this is not acceptable and has no place in football or anywhere else in society. That it needs to be said so visibly echoes the reality of the problem.  

As I said, racism is stupid and wrong. I have no problem with the CPL calling it out. I do have a problem with doing so in a partisan political way. Why not create our own slogan that condemns racism without getting political?

I love when people ignorantly indirectly reveal themselves, in this case it’s intentional. What I don’t get is how you can dismiss how the players feel and then apparently cheer or support them. Or do you? It’s past politics - As you’ve seen, it’s being stressed as a global issue that the message is Black lives matter.

Escapism. The sad thing I’m sure there is some people that wish they could escape from being black, but that’s not how life goes. That reference is one of the very same issues that are being discussed that relate to privilege. The league has a massive black presence, and rightfully so should do their part in supporting the message. NHL is thee worst organization to reference for inclusion standards, or for doing the “right thing”.

If you’re “anti equality”, it’s best to just stay quiet, and don’t say anything at all - it’s best to sit behind a device and not reveal who you are. Political or not. I highly doubt the organization is the real issue.

the placement of the logo was wonky, overdone, I agree - but y’all are taking the other opportunity and running with it.

3 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Show me an example of the CPL espousing classical liberal (my) politics. 

BTW, if they did, I’d have condemned it too. It just happens that you don’t see Libertarians, Liberals, Conservatives, or basically any other political group, shoving their partisan **** in every orifice of society.

But even the act of playing anthems or having military appreciation days is political.

Personally I think its naive to think you can keep politics out of sport. The history of the game is littered with politics.

Just now, Ams1984 said:

As I said, racism is stupid and wrong. I have no problem with the CPL calling it out. I do have a problem with doing so in a partisan political way. Why not create our own slogan that condemns racism without getting political?

Did you ask them or every other league in the world that has done it. I don't see it as getting political as being part of a united front. That is just me though.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

But even the act of playing anthems or having military appreciation days is political.

Personally I think its naive to think you can keep politics out of sport. The history of the game is littered with politics.

I don’t disagree. We should however try our best to keep politics out. 

1 minute ago, narduch said:

We are talking about the same professional game that was entirely elitist and did its best to stay that way before bowing to public pressure and realising they could make much more money with the better amateur lower class players playing. 

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Did you ask them or every other league in the world that has done it. I don't see it as getting political as being part of a united front. That is just me though.

As a paying customer of the CPL, I did reach out to my club to express my opinion. They basically said that they felt that they weren’t being political, and that it wasn’t their intention to alienate anyone. At least they heard me out, for all the good it did. 

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

As a paying customer of the CPL, I did reach out to my club to express my opinion. They basically said that they felt that they weren’t being political, and that it wasn’t their intention to alienate anyone. At least they heard me out, for all the good it did. 

You seem real but hurt for something really menial. Maybe you should stick to hockey, or try nascar...trust me you won’t be offended there.