Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just filled out my volunteer form.  I may be doing some running around for a team in isolation while here.  Figured I should probably contribute.  

During the games I volunteered and was assigned to help Valour while they quarantined.  There were a few evening grocery runs, a breakfast delivery and an emergency Red Bull intervention.   Nothing to

Stopped by UPEI today to scout out a spot to try and watch some games live.  Not sure if it will be possible but I will give it a try.     Valour was getting a bit of practice time in while I w

Posted Images

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Week 2 not as good.

 

I think if they can be in the 50-60k they're fine. That 29k might not be. Might be an indication that there's enough interest for 1 game a week but not 2. But, that's still not bad at all.

Edit: Would the CHCH broadcast have pulled some of the Hamilton numbers over? I'm not familiar enough with that market/station, so maybe the overall viewership wasn't that bad it just got split between the two stations.

Edited by Watchmen
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, red card said:

MLS in primetime involving 2 largest markets. In theory CBC has bigger reach but given their weak ratings for almost everything, it is doubtful. Track after CPL got 39k. News at 6 got 45k.

Thinking about this a bit more (and in my own question about CHCH), I realized that at least in the Vancouver market the TFC-Whitecaps games were on TSN 4 and 5. That's a less common channel. Hell, I don't get it and had been streaming it instead. So, i don't think that the TFC/Whitecaps numbers are wholey accurate either.

It also wasn't "primetime in two MLS markets", as it was the drive time in Vancouver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think if they can be in the 50-60k they're fine. That 29k might not be. Might be an indication that there's enough interest for 1 game a week but not 2. But, that's still not bad at all.

Edit: Would the CHCH broadcast have pulled some of the Hamilton numbers over? I'm not familiar enough with that market/station, so maybe the overall viewership wasn't that bad it just got split between the two stations.

The CHCH games are only on Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

^  Only been watching the OneSoccer coverage so far.  Kept meaning to tune into the CBC coverage but never did. 

Still, given the markets those MLS numbers seem low don't they? 

It's a bit lower than seen in recent years for TFC. Whitecaps ratings have fallen off in recent years, so more in line. But two Cdn teams together have typically pulled over 150k for English tv. 

Not in prime time in Vancouver but given more people working from home, somewhat less of an headwind. I think Caps being a listless team with lots of management issues is probably main reason why people didn't watch in their region. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2020 at 4:47 PM, jonovision said:

https://canpl.ca/article/under-21-minutes-update-five-cpl-teams-smash-target-forge-lagging-behind

Interesting update on how teams are doing with the U21 Canadian minutes quota. In short, most have met it already and two others will have no problem meeting it.

Forge has only played U21 Canadians for a total of 3 minutes. It would make for some interesting decisions if not for the high probability that they will be sitting pretty by their final match or two. It may be a small advantage for their last opponents on the schedule (Ottawa on 8/30 and Valour on 9/5) if they have to inject a bit more inexperience into the squad.

Frankly, I think this number (and last year's) is much too low, but I'm glad it's there at all.

Edmonton's total in the article doesn't add up -- not sure if the total is wrong or the player minutes listed.

I just noticed a couple of the data points are wrong in that link. I don’t know if it is the minutes played for the individual players, or if it’s the total, but they don’t add up correctly for 2 teams.

The sum of the minutes listed for HFX is 328, not 320 (very minor difference). The sum of the minutes listed for Edmonton is 267, not 534, which means they probably accidentally doubled 267 somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, narduch said:

If you assume Cavalry and Forge are through, it looks like we have a 4 team race for the final 2 spots.

 

Screenshot_20200827-000650_FotMob.jpg

York 9's win against Forge and Ottawa beating Cavalry makes everything wide open again. I'd say the only certains are Cavalry making playoffs and the Eddies not.

My Top 4

Cavalry

Forge

York

Pacific

Link to post
Share on other sites

No games on a Friday evening again?! Friday evening is usually the best time of the week for me to watch soccer. Kids are in bed, wife isn't dragging me off the couch to some social event and I am too tired from the week to feel like going out. If there were games on the west coast I'd stay up until 12 to watch two games. What is the reason to avoid Fridays? Is there another event that they are avoiding?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

No games on a Friday evening again?! Friday evening is usually the best time of the week for me to watch soccer. Kids are in bed, wife isn't dragging me off the couch to some social event and I am too tired from the week to feel like going out. If there were games on the west coast I'd stay up until 12 to watch two games. What is the reason to avoid Fridays? Is there another event that they are avoiding?

I think it just makes the scheduling easier for them.

Its set up mid-week and weekend. Adding Friday would complicate it.

Prior to everything going to shit York 9 did have a bunch of Friday games lined up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of fun over the next week.  No one has locked up a spot yet and everyone has a game in hand on the top two.  Think Forge and Cavalry maybe ran out of gas in their last games.  I expect them to be razor sharp in the last two games. 

Remaining schedule for each team:

1. Cavalry - 10 pts (Pacific, York)

2. Forge - 8 pts (Ottawa, Valour)

3. York - 6 pts (Halifax, Edmonton, Cavalry)

4. Halifax - 5 pts (York, Valour, Ottawa)

5. Pacific - 5 pts (Cavalry, Ottawa, Edmonton)

6. Ottawa - 5 pts (Forge, Pacific, Halifax)

7. Valour - 4 pts (Edmonton, Halifax, Forge)

8. Edmonton - 1 pt (Valour, York, Pacific)

 

EDIT:  Cavalry & Forge can clinch this weekend if:

Cavalry can clinch a berth in Round 2 with a win and a York/HFX draw.

Forge clinch with a win over Ottawa + Pacific and Valour loses.

Edited by Stouffvillain
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

A lot of fun over the next week.  No one has locked up a spot yet and everyone has a game in hand on the top two.  Think Forge and Cavalry maybe ran out of gas in their last games.  I expect them to be razor sharp in the last two games. 

Remaining schedule for each team:

1. Cavalry - 10 pts (Pacific, York)

2. Forge - 8 pts (Ottawa, Valour)

3. York - 6 pts (Halifax, Edmonton, Cavalry)

4. Halifax - 5 pts (York, Valour, Ottawa)

5. Pacific - 5 pts (Cavalry, Ottawa, Edmonton)

6. Ottawa - 5 pts (Forge, Pacific, Halifax)

7. Valour - 4 pts (Edmonton, Halifax, Forge)

8. Edmonton - 1 pt (Valour, York, Pacific)

Predictions, Predictions 

I say final standings 

Forge

Cavalry

Pacific

Halifax

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, narduch said:

There was a tweet last night that they would start letting in 50 fans per game bit has since been  deleted 

Me likey.. that would be cool. Just let them in without posting anything on social media and nobody would notice. Social media ruins everything 

 

And thats what they did lol  there are fans in lawn chairs hiding behind the virtual stadium 

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can all agree the visual production value is great, minus the close up ground level shots where the green screen is visible on the fences...well blue screen technically in this situation. However, they should do what the BPL and eventually UEFA starting with the CL quarterfinals did and pump in some crowd atmosphere through the speakers...unless the sound system isn't up to par. Just utilize clips from the CPL opener last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Me likey.. that would be cool. Just let them in without posting anything on social media and nobody would notice. Social media ruins everything 

 

And thats what they did lol  there are fans in lawn chairs hiding behind the virtual stadium 

Nam?? Are you there?  Please give the Valour boys some go juice for the second half.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...