2020 CPL Island Games

19 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So I guess due to CBC the second game is at 3 today, which sucks the Man. City vs. Lyon Champions League quarter final at 3 too. 

I have a feeling that is a time slot CBC asked for.

I was hoping they would also have some news on weekday match times changing.

31 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

I m impressed with the black lives matter on the middle of the field 

Just class.

Really? I’m a bit tired of the over saturation of politics in sports, and everywhere else for that matter. 

I’m not interested in getting into a whole ‘thing’ about BLM here, but honestly, I found it frustrating and distracting. Partially because of the unnecessary politics in sports, and partially because the graphic kept moving around on TV. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Answering my own question sort of. Watching the current broadcast and they just had a graphic confirm that Tuesday's match between York 9 and Pacific has been moved from 1pm to 8pm EST

So it has been updated on the CanPL website too now.

They also moved Thursdays Cavalry v Edmonton match to 8pm too.

Wednesday's Atletico v Valour match is still at 1pm. Probably wasn't worth moving with another match at 8pm and Davies at 3pm

38 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Really? I’m a bit tired of the over saturation of politics in sports, and everywhere else for that matter. 

I’m not interested in getting into a whole ‘thing’ about BLM here, but honestly, I found it frustrating and distracting. Partially because of the unnecessary politics in sports, and partially because the graphic kept moving around on TV. 

Trying to separate politics from sport is living in fantasy land. It's always been there but people were not aware or the inclusion of it was considered acceptable to their worldview.

In terms of CPL, the PEI government gave them $1 million+ , required government health protocols and matches are being played in a tax payer funded university pitch.

All of the clubs represent cities/regions which are political entities and many of them play in home stadiums built by governments and thereby funded by taxpayers. Players live in the community at least during the season and many of them face various "political" issues regularly. If you want to build proper team culture, you'll need the players to bring their whole self to the workplace. 

And given this forum, most of us are supporting the league because it is a Canadian org giving playing time to Canadians since a certain foreign based league has "political" rules unfavourable to Canadians. And some of these CPL players may advance to represent another political construct called Canada.

14 minutes ago, red card said:

Trying to separate politics from sport is living in fantasy land. It's always been there but people were not aware or the inclusion of it was considered acceptable to their worldview.

In terms of CPL, the PEI government gave them $1 million+ , required government health protocols and matches are being played in a tax payer funded university pitch.

All of the clubs represent cities/regions which are political entities and many of them play in home stadiums built by governments and thereby funded by taxpayers. Players live in the community at least during the season and many of them face various "political" issues regularly. If you want to build proper team culture, you'll need the players to bring their whole self to the workplace. 

And given this forum, most of us are supporting the league because it is a Canadian org giving playing time to Canadians since a certain foreign based league has "political" rules unfavourable to Canadians. And some of these CPL players may advance to represent another political construct called Canada.

Government is a political construct... okay, so what does that have to do with my point?

Why not just skip the soccer altogether and hold a political rally? In fact, let’s just forget about every non political activity that might unite people of different stripes... let’s make everything about affirming our views and alienating the people we disagree with! 

5 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Government is a political construct... okay, so what does that have to do with my point?

Why not just skip the soccer altogether and hold a political rally? In fact, let’s just forget about every non political activity that might unite people of different stripes... let’s make everything about affirming our views and alienating the people we disagree with! 

Nothing you said here explains why having BLM is an unwelcome addition to proceedings - in a league where a substantial number of the players are black, and in a sport where players have still had to put up with bullshit like having bananas thrown at them.  Sport is a sector in which people of colour have achieved a huge level of respect and influence.  Using that platform to advance a broader social message that still very much needs reinforcement is not, in my opinion, out of place.  And I am pretty damn white.  

I am interested if BLM bought that advertising space and visibility on the broadcasts. Its very effective. If not what compelled them to dedicated so much space to that organization? Was it part of the agreement with the CBC inorder to broadcast games? Was it mandated by the players union? Was it a marketing decision? Considering everyone else were either league stake holders or paid advertisers and that's an American organization and out of all the American leagues that was probably the most exposure I've seen. I just wonder how they come to such a decision? 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nothing you said here explains why having BLM is an unwelcome addition to proceedings - in a league where a substantial number of the players are black, and in a sport where players have still had to put up with ******** like having bananas thrown at them.  Sport is a sector in which people of colour have achieved a huge level of respect and influence.  Using that platform to advance a broader social message that still very much needs reinforcement is not, in my opinion, out of place.  And I am pretty damn white.  

Here it is in a nutshell then:

I’m not interested in debating social justice with you. I don’t care what athletes think about almost anything other than sports.

I am however, interested in watching soccer. 

When I tune into a soccer match, which is something that everyone can enjoy together, I would really just love to watch soccer. Instead, I’m now confronted by yet more partisan bs. Just like everywhere else. Have we become so infantile as a society that every facet of life must affirm our ideologies? 

If that’s the case, I’m out. I won’t be the only one either. I do not want to watch a political rally. I want to watch a soccer game. And don’t give me this nonsense about BLM not being political. It is 100% political. 

So, bravo to all the ‘brave’ folks out there for ‘taking a stand’ I guess, even though I’d argue that being against politicization is far more controversial these days. All it’s going to achieve is to convert something potentially unifying - like sport, into just another stupid echo chamber, frequented by the already converted, shunned by those, like me, who are sick to death of all the bullshit. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agree to disagree I guess.  It costs me nothing to look at a logo that raises awareness about a massive and persistent social issue.  I like that many many organizations are taking action against racism.  To me that isn’t an ideology, it is the pursuit of equality. YMMV.  

Racism is stupid. Only idiots are racist. I’m pretty sure 99.9% of people watching already agree with that. BLM has less to do with racism than than social justice politics. If they’d put something like “no racism” or “Equality” I don’t think anyone would care. In any case, do you really think that this is “raising awareness”? As if someone watching hasn’t heard of BLM already? It’s on the news 24/7. It’s all over the internet. It’s on the streets. It’s everywhere. I’m personally sick of politics. I’ll still vote and do my bit as a citizen, but does every single activity in society now need to be part of that? Can’t some things just be good innocent fun for everyone? 

42 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I am interested if BLM bought that advertising space and visibility on the broadcasts. Its very effective. If not what compelled them to dedicated so much space to that organization? Was it part of the agreement with the CBC inorder to broadcast games? Was it mandated by the players union? Was it a marketing decision? Considering everyone else were either league stake holders or paid advertisers and that's an American organization and out of all the American leagues that was probably the most exposure I've seen. I just wonder how they come to such a decision? 

I’d be shocked if BLM bought the advertisement. I can’t get inside the league’s head, but if I had to guess, I’d say it was a combination of two things:

1) Marketing - most people will probably shrug and ignore it, whilst the people who are obsessed with politics might applaud it. I think it’s a miscalculation though, they may well alienate a lot of regular people.

2) It’s a double edged sword, because either way you lose. If they’re silent, I’m sure there will be partisan political activists on the internet badgering them. If they make too big a deal of the BLM tokenism, they’ll piss people like me off. I get it I guess. 2020 is awesome...

8 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Racism is stupid. Only idiots are racist. I’m pretty sure 99.9% of people watching already agree with that. BLM has less to do with racism than than social justice politics. If they’d put something like “no racism” or “Equality” I don’t think anyone would care. In any case, do you really think that this is “raising awareness”? As if someone watching hasn’t heard of BLM already? It’s on the news 24/7. It’s all over the internet. It’s on the streets. It’s everywhere. I’m personally sick of politics. I’ll still vote and do my bit as a citizen, but does every single activity in society now need to be part of that? Can’t some things just be good innocent fun for everyone? 

I think you are grossly overestimating the degree to which actual equality exists (and the degree to which racism has been extinguished).  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I think you are grossly overestimating the degree to which actual equality exists (and the degree to which racism has been extinguished).  

Who knows, It’s possible I suppose. Will a BLM decal on a TV screen actually change a racist person’s heart? I doubt it. You know what might? Sharing something with a diverse group of people, and maybe in that way learning that there is less that divides the races than they may have thought. Sharing something like soccer.