2020 CPL Island Games

7 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

So, one week in and we have 24 goals scored and 24 different goal scorers, including Own Goal.  Pretty impressive...

@jonovisionI have Forge and Cavalry as 1A and 1B.  Pacific looks like they may break through as the first team to challenge them. HFX and Valour looked better their second game. I'd put Edmonton with them depending on how they play against Cavalry, but the Eddies weren't bad against Forge.  York9 mystifies me, with the talent on paper I thought they would look better, so I have them only ahead of Ottawa, who really can't afford to play with 10 men when they still don't know each other.

still need to see y9 with a full squad before i judge them too harshly. 

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

With most teams now having played twice, it's interesting to see how people would rank the sides. The initial consensus was that Forge and Cavalry were a cut above, with York and Pacific likeliest to go through along with them. Do people still feel that way?

Personally, I have Cavalry tops, then Forge, then a third tier of all the remaining teams except Ottawa, who are last. It's really tough for me to get a read on my Valour squad, with them having been clearly second best against the top side, and then outclassing Ottawa, who looked every bit the expansion side that they are.

This is a bit of a cop out but I still think its too hard to judge. I think all the ties are proof of that.

The one good thing about all these ties is that it increases the chances that the final weekend of matches will be meaningful.

That being said I think Cavalry has a slight edge over Forge. The rest of the clubs form the 2nd tier. 

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

petrillo says cavalry is already qualified for the next round after four games..and first or fourth makes no difference..shows how bad this format is

Technically not. 

It is what it is given the current situation and we are lucky we got this to be honest. I would have like to have just played each other twice and had done or playoffs at the end but I think they would have done that if it was feasible. I don't think this is anyone's preferred option just the one that works best given time, safety and resources.

10 hours ago, Big_M said:

petrillo says cavalry is already qualified for the next round after four games..and first or fourth makes no difference..shows how bad this format is

Is this actually true? It doesn't seem like it.

They are essentially through anyway now.

https://canpl.ca/article/under-21-minutes-update-five-cpl-teams-smash-target-forge-lagging-behind

Interesting update on how teams are doing with the U21 Canadian minutes quota. In short, most have met it already and two others will have no problem meeting it.

Forge has only played U21 Canadians for a total of 3 minutes. It would make for some interesting decisions if not for the high probability that they will be sitting pretty by their final match or two. It may be a small advantage for their last opponents on the schedule (Ottawa on 8/30 and Valour on 9/5) if they have to inject a bit more inexperience into the squad.

Frankly, I think this number (and last year's) is much too low, but I'm glad it's there at all.

Edmonton's total in the article doesn't add up -- not sure if the total is wrong or the player minutes listed.

8 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Does CBC release their TV numbers? Did One Soccer release their viewer numbers last year? I would hope we can at least find out the CBC numbers.

I believe CBC numbers become available. OneSoccer (and any streaming service) typically does not release them.

57 minutes ago, red card said:

MLS in primetime involving 2 largest markets. In theory CBC has bigger reach but given their weak ratings for almost everything, it is doubtful. Track after CPL got 39k. News at 6 got 45k.

Those CPL numbers are an improvement on last year. Very promising. 

The MLS games probably weren't helped by how last minute they announced it. 

Edited by narduch

Also have to factor in a slight bump of fans that would normally be in attendance at games that are now watching but all pretty encouraging. At first look its brutal but in comparison to MLS and athletics that is a win. Provided the rights arent too expensive I cant see CBC dropping it and maybe actually adding more.

Would be interested to see the onesoccer numbers. Possible it could be at least the same as MLS combined with cbc.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Also have to factor in a slight bump of fans that would normally be in attendance at games that are now watching but all pretty encouraging. At first look its brutal but in comparison to MLS and athletics that is a win. Provided the rights arent too expensive I cant see CBC dropping it and maybe actually adding more.

Would be interested to see the onesoccer numbers. Possible it could be at least the same as MLS combined with cbc.

I would not think that OneSoccer has 20-30 thousand subscribers, and I would assume that most subscribers would have watched on CBC anyway.

These are still respectable numbers for the CPL though.  Agreed, as long as the rights are reasonably priced I don't see the CBC dropping it next year.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

^  Only been watching the OneSoccer coverage so far.  Kept meaning to tune into the CBC coverage but never did. 

Still, given the markets those MLS numbers seem low don't they? 

Can you watch the CBC feed without cable? Is it on the CBC Gem app?