2020 CPL Island Games

• 5 months later...

A bit of a necro bump to link to a CBC PEI article highlighting the economic benefit of hosting the games:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-canadian-premier-league-economic-benefits-1.5943062

Obviously different by orders of magnitude, but I thought it was interesting in light of the recent discussion about the benefits of WC hosting in the Road to Qatar thread. 

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

A bit of a necro bump to link to a CBC PEI article highlighting the economic benefit of hosting the games:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-canadian-premier-league-economic-benefits-1.5943062

Obviously different by orders of magnitude, but I thought it was interesting in light of the recent discussion about the benefits of WC hosting in the Road to Qatar thread. 

It's at least somewhat humorous, given the WC hosting discussion, that the subheading is "The numbers are disappointing for the cost of the investment."

36 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's at least somewhat humorous, given the WC hosting discussion, that the subheading is "The numbers are disappointing for the cost of the investment."

Well, the full subtext is:

‘The numbers are disappointing for the cost of the investment,' says Opposition critic for economic growth

it isnt like CBC is saying that - they are just trying to stir the pot by quoting the opposition.    In actual fact, the investment seems like it was absolutely worthwhile by any reasonable metric   

46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well, the full subtext is:

‘The numbers are disappointing for the cost of the investment,' says Opposition critic for economic growth

it isnt like CBC is saying that - they are just trying to stir the pot by quoting the opposition.    In actual fact, the investment seems like it was absolutely worthwhile by any reasonable metric   

Agreed, in this case it does.  The hotel would have sat empty (unlike the WC scenario where all hotels are likely full/busy regardless of hosting).  The "earned media" is a much more intangible benefit, and I can understand quibbling with that.

Here is some more of this gem of an article.

"The numbers are disappointing for the cost of the investment and I don't necessarily know if they are accurate," said the Green MLA.

"Without some more details I'm pretty suspicious of an earned media of that value because frankly I don't know of anybody I know, actually even saw where these games were broadcast let alone what channel they were on." 

So the opposition critic (green MLA)  didnt know anyone who watched or wasnt aware of what channel they were on, and this is part of her reasoning in questioning any rcoup of investment.  Thats brilliant!  I guess she doesnt watch CBC or know any sports fans. I swear sometimes I am so dissapointed with the human race it makes me want to go live in a cave.  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

"The numbers are disappointing for the cost of the investment and I don't necessarily know if they are accurate," said the Green MLA.

"Without some more details I'm pretty suspicious of an earned media of that value because frankly I don't know of anybody I know, actually even saw where these games were broadcast let alone what channel they were on." 

So the opposition critic (green MLA)  didnt know anyone who watched or wasnt aware of what channel they were on, and this is part of her reasoning in questioning any rcoup of investment.  Thats brilliant!  I guess she doesnt watch CBC or know any sports fans. I swear sometimes I am so dissapointed with the human race it makes me want to go live in a cave.  

Yeah, I don’t usually venture into provincial politics as a function of my job but that comment seemed pretty weak.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

To break it down slightly:

1) I would be suspicious of any earned media number too, mostly because it's a very marketing department thing to talk about.

2) I'm highly suspicious she actually asked around to people she knows to see of they watched or knew about the tournament. Rather, it's entirely possible people did watch and just didn't bother to talk to her about it. Nobody lists everything they watched on TV to everyone they know. 

This is the part I am most suspicious of.

"The province said there were four billion online impressions across the platforms showing the games, which means people may have seen P.E.I. tourism advertisements."

What counts as an online impression? I mean, I know I saw PEI tourism advertisements, and I saw them a bunch. But I guarantee you that the if you add up all the PEI tourism spottings in the world during the Island Games, there weren't 4 billion of them. So what is that number?

40 minutes ago, Kent said:

This is the part I am most suspicious of.

"The province said there were four billion online impressions across the platforms showing the games, which means people may have seen P.E.I. tourism advertisements."

What counts as an online impression? I mean, I know I saw PEI tourism advertisements, and I saw them a bunch. But I guarantee you that the if you add up all the PEI tourism spottings in the world during the Island Games, there weren't 4 billion of them. So what is that number?

It's the fact that those of us who watched saw those PEI ads so much we were seeing them in our sleep for months afterwards 

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is there only one official spot for taking pictures of politicians in PEI, government and opposition? 

Seriously, I went to the Island when I was 18 and have fond memories, the whole Island Games experience made me want to go back. Probably, though, not having mobility cut into immediate benefits from the branding. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is there only one official spot for taking pictures of politicians in PEI, government and opposition? 

Seriously, I went to the Island when I was 18 and have fond memories, the whole Island Games experience made me want to go back. Probably, though, not having mobility cut into immediate benefits from the branding. 

Agree about the affect of mobility but PEI plays the long game when it comes to tourism so keeping the island ever-present as a destination of choice (hopefully) still has value. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agree about the affect of mobility but PEI plays the long game when it comes to tourism so keeping the island ever-present as a destination of choice (hopefully) still has value. 

What is the economy of the Island based on currently? Is tourism really a factor of importance, and has Covid hurt it that hard?

I would love to see the CPL organise some sort of pre-season match for PEI, like brokering a HFX--AtO, a PEI Cup or something. But with fans in the stands. Would you say that was the best venue available for a fan experience?

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is the economy of the Island based on currently? Is tourism really a factor of importance, and has Covid hurt it that hard?

I would love to see the CPL organise some sort of pre-season match for PEI, like brokering a HFX--AtO, a PEI Cup or something. But with fans in the stands. Would you say that was the best venue available for a fan experience?

Tourism is one of the main drivers - along with fishing and farming.  Aerospace and IT are additional economic drivers of note. The loss of last year’s tourism season was pretty huge.  We are a summer play land and a lot of people pass spend time on the Island every year so missing out on the influx of visitor dollars was pretty big.  Lobster and potatoes only get you so far as an economy.  

As for a follow up friendly, yes please. And it would be an UPEI.  There aren’t a lot of other pitches that would have even reasonably decent stands.  Plus it is central to Chtown and would have the best chance of high attendance.  

• 2 weeks later...